blu ray disc on ps3????

yes, there is a way of ripping BD to PS3 but for that you have to install linux in the PS3 and then their is a software based utility for linux which lets u rip bd's on ps3 hdd. Ps3 officially supports another operating system such as linux. Try googling for Yellow Dog Linux for Ps3 and then you will be able to find your answers. Also go to the YDL forum there are specific instruction under the PS3 section for installation and all the other relevant information for Ps3

Problem is that the old ps3 had a 40 gb hard drive, the newer one has an 80GB.Unless you have custom installed a larger hard drive, i doubt you will be able to fit in too many blue ray disc contents into the hard drive.
A Blue ray has a total capacity of 50GB, a typical new movie, which is there on the BR disc can run upto 35-40 GB even... so, there is no point.

The hard drive is best used to install you music, which might lie on I tunes.
I used TVersity Media server to do it, and transferred data via WiFi.. works well.

PS3 is one of the devices in the market, which makes it hard as hell for any kind of piracy.. which is good, but i am unhappy with the fact that my sony India purchased PS3, wont play my own collection of dvds, which are all region 1.

They should have made it piracy free, but capable to play all region movies.

best wishes,
samir.

yes, there is a way of ripping BD to PS3 but for that you have to install linux in the PS3 and then their is a software based utility for linux which lets u rip bd's on ps3 hdd. Ps3 officially supports another operating system such as linux. Try googling for Yellow Dog Linux for Ps3 and then you will be able to find your answers. Also go to the YDL forum there are specific instruction under the PS3 section for installation and all the other relevant information for Ps3

:signthankspin:

one more

if i donwload avi movies or divx movies and i copy it to usb drive and then can i play movies directly from usb drive

and can i save it on hdd of ps3

please reply

one more

if i donwload avi movies or divx movies and i copy it to usb drive and then can i play movies directly from usb drive

please reply

yes you can. please note that the ps3 does nto play mkv formats natively though changing the extension to .avi from .mkv sometimes helps (after all mkv is just a container). And yes you can save the contents on the HDD of ps3.

one more thing - since you are getting the ps3 for free from ebay - upgrade to a 500gb or 1tb 5400 (laptop) 2.5" hdd. Use it as a HTPC alternative.

Have fun:eek:hyeah:

yes you can. please note that the ps3 does nto play mkv formats natively though changing the extension to .avi from .mkv sometimes helps (after all mkv is just a container). And yes you can save the contents on the HDD of ps3.

one more thing - since you are getting the ps3 for free from ebay - upgrade to a 500gb or 1tb 5400 (laptop) 2.5" hdd. Use it as a HTPC alternative.

Have fun:eek:hyeah:

hey bro i don't have any respose from them yet about that ps3 i won :sad:

yeah u can only play the ps2 games on the earlier models like the very first 20/60 gigs,2007 models. now the newer models does not have the backward compatibility,since sony removed it for reducing the production cost:)
but they might as well resume it by software emulation soon.

Vj

just one thing, ps3 will never be able to play h264 files, coz it requires a new hardware DivX Plus chip. A few months back I was seriously considering going for PS3 to suffice my HD needs, but decided to hold back coz of the absence of h264 compatibility.

PS3 Video >

The following types of files can be played under (Video).

* Memory Stick Video Format
* - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile ?AAC LC?
* - MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
* MP4 file format
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS?MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3?Dolby Digital?, AAC LC?
* MPEG-2 TS?H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC?
* AVI
* - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* - Motion JPEG (?-Law)
* AVCHD ?.m2ts / .mts?
* DivX
* WMV
* - VC-1?WMA Standard V2?

PS3™ | Types of files that can be played

With linux installed on PS3 as the other operating system the possibilities are endless. I have installed Yellow dog linux on my ps3 and I am enjoying all the capabilities of the PS3. It can play DVIX files with the software also VLC and all other players are supporting linux. Try it guys and their would be a new topic for us to discuss which would be the hottest.
The links to the download site as well as instructions are as follows:
Yellow Dog Linux • View topic - Please READ ME FIRST (known issues, useful links, and help)

one more

please reply

Hey Manu , just my two paise. Download XviD4PSP 5.036 PRO, it will convert all your HD related stuffs including mkv to PS3 specific mp4 file. Excellent quality man, I am very happy with the performance of this software. Moreover , it is free. There are other options as well. You should try this once.So ,I dont think you need any extra media player like WD TV if you have PS3 to run mkv.

Well, I got my PS3 recently and am pretty happy with it. I just need to get some games that I really want - which are not available in the Chennai market right now. Still looking...

This thought of installing Linux did arise in my mind. But there appeared to be issues with respect to rendering games with high graphic content when Linux was installed. This was a major put-off for me. Is there anybody here who has installed Linux on their PS3? And can they share as to whether this has impacted actual game performance? I would be very interested and I am sure it would be useful to other prospective owners as well as new owners of the PS3.

Well, I got my PS3 recently and am pretty happy with it. I just need to get some games that I really want - which are not available in the Chennai market right now. Still looking...

This thought of installing Linux did arise in my mind. But there appeared to be issues with respect to rendering games with high graphic content when Linux was installed. This was a major put-off for me. Is there anybody here who has installed Linux on their PS3? And can they share as to whether this has impacted actual game performance? I would be very interested and I am sure it would be useful to other prospective owners as well as new owners of the PS3.

Any specific game you looking at?

Have you tried at play-asia. com ?

Yes I have installed linux on my 80 gb PS3, since I have already posted a link earlier on this very thread so I am not going on that much detail but as far as the games performance concern it doesn't matter as the PS3 original software is intact on the other partition whereas linux exist on the different partition, its just like installing two operating systems on a computer and you can choose which one to boot.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back