Blu-ray Drive

this is the br drive I wrote a post about, and from the same shop.
I can get it when I go to NP next but I may not be able to check it as I do not have a desktop at home or office. Other thing is, in last 1 year, I have gone to NP only twice, and returned empty handed. May go there soon to get a monitor though.

regards

Edit - there is a similar priced drive from hitachi too iirc.

Hi ANM,

it's the same drive -- it's Hitachi-LG which is why the drives code begin with "HL"

drives work well in an HTPC. however, if you want hi speed ripping look else where.. a Dual layer BD takes about 40-45 minutes.

star features - price and HD-DVD adaptability.

and yes.. it was a post here that inspired me to go looking in Nehru place; though I don't think that the OP had given the shop name.

cheers

Kapil

Google links to the product is wrong... Price shown is for DVD kit...

This item is going more than 200..300$

naseer,

as i said in a seperate post, I don't think cost to cost has any more in stock.

it was a sweet deal.. while it lasted!! (wish I'd bought more :yahoo:)

Kapil

Although cost to cost is a good reference point for prices. Most cities have a similar concept to Nehru place and the prices dont vary a lot. For example, Lamington road and SP market in Mumbai and bangalore have similar prices.

I just checked a few items in sp market and the prices were similar to cost to cost. so you could try the LG drive in lamington road and check the prices.

Heard from a computer dealer in Kolkata that LG Blu ray Reader is selling for Rs 6000/- and writer for Rs 9000/- approx.

So, if I want to back up my Blu-rays, I need a Blu-ray Writer right? Is it possible to get the full quality of a BD with all the features of a BD by ripping?

You dont need a writer unless you wanna backup BRs on a Disc, and with HDD price goind down by every month, it anyhow does not make any sence to back up on a disc ......

Best method is to rip the BR in ISO or BIN,CUE format. Use any Burning S/W to do that .... Like I use Ashampoo Burning Studio, and backup the disc in ISO format. Then one can either use any media player (likePlayON HD) to play them or if you wanna play then on computer, get a Virtual drive s/w like "Virtual CD" or DEMON or "ALCHOAL" (google for more infor) what these s/w does is create a virtual drive on your computer which acts exactly like a physical drive. You just pop the ISO image in to the drive and start playing the Movie .... For playing what I use is latest version of Power DVD.

Region Lock and copy protection is no big deal, there are loads of s/w available for removing CP or RL .... checkout ANYDVD HD

Like how? Is it just to do with amount of time required(and ofcourse electricity consumed) during that time? Or is there something like a good read speed and buffering? Is 12x a good speed?

BR drives are usually 4x or 6x at the max (for Bluray), 16x DVD ROM and 40X CD which is decent enough..........ripping a 40GB BR would take 15-20 minus

Also contrary to what @aneelr, said ripping a BR DOES NOT degrade the PQ/SQ, ripping is an exact bit by bit copy. Menu structure also remains intact, the virtual drive I was talking about in your computer will read the ISO file with complete menu structure and everything (just like a normal physical drive would) ..... but yes if you wanna play the iso using media player like PlayON or WD, the player should have the capacity to read menues off the ISO image ... (PlayON HD does not support BR menu off ISO .... xtremer pro does I suppose)

Which drive to buy, already lots of suggestions given in the previous pages .... I personally have LG Bluray/HD DVD combo drive. Using it for the past one year with no issues what so ever .....

Regards
Sammy

PS :: @Santhol check you PM.....?? Gifted you the Disc .. :)

Last edited:
Heard from a computer dealer in Kolkata that LG Blu ray Reader is selling for Rs 6000/- and writer for Rs 9000/- approx.
Very costly.Our member has got LG BD rom for Rs.2500 from cost 2 cost ,Delhi.

Thanks Subhash, it will be a while before I buy a drive. Focus for 2011 is to buy atleast 8TB of harddisk......for some good samaritans have been busy with their BD-ROM drives;).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back