Blu ray feed into 720P projector

pdhanwada

I have a panasonic AE 900U LCD projector. It is almost 4 years old. It is doing good with DVD's as of now. Contemplating about buying blu ray player.

Q1: How much of a difference it will make if input the 1080P signal into 720 P Projector.

Q2: Should I need to buy a new Projector.

Thanks
Pandu

i have a benq 600*800 pxl projector.
a projector is much more than just the resolution. many other factors affect the final image.
my take is=use signal that causes least processing ala up or downscaling etc. its best to use the input signal res closest to the native resolution of ur machine.
if u really want best images, the biggest factors would be room dynamics and quality of input signals. if you have to... improve on the quality of the source dvds.
a: 1080p into a 720p may improve or deteriorate the image depending on the mix n match of ur equipments.
b: if u have to... go for blue ray player... full hd projector and a complete blu ray input signal be it dvd/stb/gaming!! as of now,100% hd inputs cant be ascertained.
what if u yearn to watch clash of titans the original classic , and cud find only a regular dvd??
in my opinion any upgrades can wait. the format and hardware are rapidly progressing at this stage.

Last edited:
I have a panasonic AE 900U LCD projector. It is almost 4 years old. It is doing good with DVD's as of now. Contemplating about buying blu ray player.

Q1: How much of a difference it will make if input the 1080P signal into 720 P Projector.

Thanks
Pandu

IMO dont buy a blue ray player right now or a full HD prj right now..you wont notice marginal difference in PQ
there are not much titles available in india..you would have to import from US/Singapore..depending upon the region code..

also the viewing distance and screen size is a significant factor in difference between 1080p and 720p.. you can read in the forum posts..

Rather invest the amount in a good media player/HTPC which would help you with the exact 720p resolution which would be better anytime in comparison to DVD..

Thanks
Pandu
A1. What exactly do u mean when u say how much of a difference will it make? Obviously a 720P picture will be slightly less in quality compared to 1080p. So the ideal solution would be to buy a HD 1080P projector. If u can do that right away GoForIt. But if u cant buy a HD1080P Projector immediately, then by all means Just buy the Bluray Player and use ur 720P PJ. You will find the experience amazing compared to the DVDs.
If u just want the BlurayPlayer for Blurays only, then any good Player will give almost equal PQ. But if u have a lot of DVDs and would want to see them too, OPPO BD83 is the way to go. You wont believe u r watching just DVDs.
I know, because I use an OppoBD83 with my Panny AX200U PJ.
A2. u dont need to.

giddavr

I have the same projector and am using a BDP83 to project beautiful 720p movies onto a Elite 106" screen. There is no comparison between an upsampled DVD to a Blue ray (BR being vastly superior)and if you have a BR disc with true HD or DTS even the sound of regular DD or DTS is inferior. I thought about upgrading to a PTAE4000, which I can get from US for $2k but I have only 900 hrs on my bulb and so I have decided to wait another year by which time there will be a new model out and hopefully wider availability of BD discs in India for lower prices.
Also I did a comparison with full 1080p resolution on my friend's 4000 in the US - he used to have the 900 as well , and though it is better than a 720p image it is not glaringly so and in many cases I had to look for improvement. This is actually based on viewing distance, and the closer you are to the screen the better resolution 1080p will have compared to 720p, but IMO if you are apprx. 15' away from an apprx. 100" screen then it wont be a huge difference.
Anyways just my humble opinion - I am just a novice user - compared to the many advanced/senior users on the forum.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks
As of now No upgrades on the Video front. I have about 1700 Hrs. It is doing very welll. It is almost 4 years old. I have atleast a year to go before I would go for any upgrade in the projector.
Pandu

Thanks
As of now No upgrades on the Video front. I have about 1700 Hrs. It is doing very welll. It is almost 4 years old. I have atleast a year to go before I would go for any upgrade in the projector.
Pandu

just make sure u set the output of the Bluray Player to 720P.
that would give u the best possible PQ.
giddavr

If your projection size is not too big you wont see much difference between 720p and 1080p.....the difference in blu ray becomes visible as you enlarge the screen size..........

Hello all

Need help regarding input into my projector.

I use a good component video cable from my dvd to Projector(Panasonic AE 900U). It is 35 Ft in length. If we buy a blue ray player do we need a hdmi cable to input 720p signal into the projector or the component video cable is enough.

I bought component video cable for the reason that I heard the resolution from the component video cable > hdmi cable in long lenghths.

If component video cable is fine then the audio part can be sent thru toslink or coaxial into the preamp.

Thanks
pandu

I have the same projector and am using a BDP83 to project beautiful 720p movies onto a Elite 106" screen. There is no comparison between an upsampled DVD to a Blue ray (BR being vastly superior)and if you have a BR disc with true HD or DTS even the sound of regular DD or DTS is inferior. I thought about upgrading to a PTAE4000, which I can get from US for $2k but I have only 900 hrs on my bulb and so I have decided to wait another year by which time there will be a new model out and hopefully wider availability of BD discs in India for lower prices.
Also I did a comparison with full 1080p resolution on my friend's 4000 in the US - he used to have the 900 as well , and though it is better than a 720p image it is not glaringly so and in many cases I had to look for improvement. This is actually based on viewing distance, and the closer you are to the screen the better resolution 1080p will have compared to 720p, but IMO if you are apprx. 15' away from an apprx. 100" screen then it wont be a huge difference.
Anyways just my humble opinion - I am just a novice user - compared to the many advanced/senior users on the forum.
Cheers
Sid

Am a much more novice user than you - my 2 cents of wisdom, save your money until the formats stabilises and then go for it. Blu ray, 1080p HD and all are currently in their nacent stage.

Finally After a long wait my plunge took place last week. I bought onida bdx1110 (region free) for Rs 4990 at reliance digital.

Whatever the fears I had before buying the bd player disappeared. The PQ is so much better.

I am happy about the purchase.

Thanks
pandu

Finally After a long wait my plunge took place last week. I bought onida bdx1110 (region free) for Rs 4990 at reliance digital.

Whatever the fears I had before buying the bd player disappeared. The PQ is so much better.

I am happy about the purchase.

Thanks
pandu
You mean to say that DVD playback is better in blu-ray player than your old DVD player?

Agree with the assessment. I have a 720p projector, but the difference between DVD (upscaled to 720p) and Bluray is way huge. Besides resolution, the color palette of Hi-Def makes the huge difference to picture quality. Enjoy.

The bad part is - now everytime you see a DVD, you will wonder how it would have looked on bluray? ;)

Manoj & others,

Should we do upscaling of dvds or should we play them at 480 p resolution and make the projector play 480 p source.

Which one did you find it better.

Thanks
pandu

Blu Ray produces much better Video Quality than DVD even when played through a basic 1024 X 768 projector .......even downloaded 720p HD files will look better than standard DVD.

I find a great deal difference in using the bluray feed into a projector that can't do 1080p. This is when using VGA (Dsub15pin) interface on the projector rather than the component (YPbPr) interace. The images are sharp (bring out the best of the old projectors).

Padhu,

The DVD performance will depend upon which has the better video scaling chip, the projector or BD player. Your panasonic projector uses their proprietary scaling which was considered very good at time. Unfortunately, there is not much information on the Onida player's scaling chip. So, you can try 480p from the player vs letting the player do upscaling, see which one you like better. Things to look for are de-interlacing and scaling artifacts.

Although I have a hunch that your projector has the better processing than low end Onida. After all, this is a serious projector from old days, competing for $2000+ market.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back