Blu-ray Wins The Battle, but will lost the war

it's a flawed article based on one simple premise, which is that "blu ray is not that much better than DVD", which, while subjective, is still not a strong argument at all.

Assuming he's right and it's not "that much better", that would be mean that blu ray is at least "slightly better" and most technologies progress by evolution and not revolution, so "slightly better" is generally more than enough for a new format to replace an older one. So even if his premise were to be accepted, his argument fails.

But his premise itself is flawed. On a good HDTV with a reasonable blu-ray player, a BD will look significantly superior, and at least in my personal opinion the "not that much better" claim is hogwash. How this guy calls himself the "gadget guru" beats me.

And when falling prices of Blu-Ray discs (as I was mentioning I saw one for 899 rupees), come to the territory occupied by DVDs (the 400 to 600 bucks territory), and blu-ray players start becoming available for around or under 10,000 bucks (which should happen some time in 2010), then blu ray will become the default format for movie watching.

Streaming and other media will take some time before it replaces BD, IMHO.

if most popular studios release some titles on BD only for first 50 days, BD will get a strong foothold.

regards

People write anything just to get some cheap backlinks...

CD: 700MB
DVD: 4.4 GB
Increase = 625%

DVDs have replaced CDs as preferred media!

DVD = 4.4GB
BluRay = 50GB
Increase = 1130%

How can he say that the difference isn't good enough?

As Psychotropic said it is a flawed article. Through the article, Andy talks about Blu-Ray as a player. What about the 50GB media that can reduce compression by a large amount that comes along man? What about the HD Audio?

But on a more technical note, Blu-Ray may not survive for a long time. 500 GB media are not far away and would necessitate a rapid change in technology in terms of compression and remastering. If anything will stop this it will be the reluctance of software owners to release re-re-mastered software.

Cheers

I have got a huge collection of dvd's and the movement i owned a ps3 and watched a bluray movie,i have literally stopped buying dvd's...clarity is incomparable..and with falling bd prices, dvd will become obselete same as vcd's

People write anything just to get some cheap backlinks...

CD: 700MB
DVD: 4.4 GB
Increase = 625%

DVDs have replaced CDs as preferred media!

DVD = 4.4GB
BluRay = 50GB
Increase = 1130%

Where does vinyl stand??:clapping::clapping:
And still being used!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::cool:
The technology never progressed linier -i.e. from low res media to hi res....otherwise SACD or DVD audio would be replacement of cd.....
But IMHO SACD n DVD audio are flops....and a lousy format like mp3 and its cousins ruling over !!!
Those people who track music retail know that large music stores are closing down,notabaly virgin megastore and likeNOW WHICH IS BIGGEST MUSIC RETAILER- APPLES ITUNES STORE!!!!Got the point a virtual store selling most of the times content inferior than cd!!!ha ha
That is why I am just giving my devils advocate points
1) 12.5 cm Rounded media like cd,dvd,br,sacd is not at all pockatable ..
2) So the players are bigger not at all pockatable
3) Micro sd cards as small as nails are available in the capacity of 32 gb
4) Still pirates are not widely supporting BR! If acceptance will be low prices will be high!And vice versa!
5) There are some technologies which were never accepted by masses- and replaced by better technology! Like SACD, LD, VCD,8 track,minidisc,DCC (it was Asian phenomenon) and there may be replacement of BR just around a corner
Bt 1 think is sure ipod ,iTunes store and downloads proved that more than incremental better quality what masses want is convenience and saving!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back