Blue Ray disc audio option

deepakpraveen

I had visited Landmark Chennai to pick up a BD disc, they are currently running a 1+1 free scheme on all Sony discs.

There were no uniform audio tracks on the discs, some had DTS HD, few Dolby True HD, some just normal DTS / DD with PCM.Since PCM is uncompressed format will it be equally good (or better) than DTS/DD HD audio ?

Though the titles were not great, offer was good.Planning to pick up Black Hawk Down / Ultra Violet / Tears of the Sun / Resident Evil extinction : any 2 of these - any suggestions ? (other titles available were worse !!)

Surprisingly BIG pctures has most of the good titles (Dark Knight,Kungfu Panda etc)

My previous question on modding the BD players remains unanswered - If blue ray discs avbl in mkt are coded ABC (Sony) or universal (BIG pictures) why bother on modding the players , a region 1 / A player from US or Singapore should be fine?

I had visited Landmark Chennai to pick up a BD disc, they are currently running a 1+1 free scheme on all Sony discs.

There were no uniform audio tracks on the discs, some had DTS HD, few Dolby True HD, some just normal DTS / DD with PCM.Since PCM is uncompressed format will it be equally good (or better) than DTS/DD HD audio ?

Though the titles were not great, offer was good.Planning to pick up Black Hawk Down / Ultra Violet / Tears of the Sun / Resident Evil extinction : any 2 of these - any suggestions ? (other titles available were worse !!)

Surprisingly BIG pctures has most of the good titles (Dark Knight,Kungfu Panda etc)

My previous question on modding the BD players remains unanswered - If blue ray discs avbl in mkt are coded ABC (Sony) or universal (BIG pictures) why bother on modding the players , a region 1 / A player from US or Singapore should be fine?

Deepak:

Landmark offer is only on BDs costing Rs. 1799. Music World has an unconditional 1+1 offer on all Sony BDs. You may like to check it out
at Spencer's.

Regds / Shailender

You will require the modding when you come across a region locked BD from Excel which is Locked to C and won't work on your player without the Hardware modding. Since blu ray is a new medium so Sony and Big are not locking them right now but when the medium matures by that time all the disks would be locked to their specific regions. As I have a PS3 which is region A, so I wasn't having any problem with the BDs until now. Now there are rental librarys who are letting BD's to their customers are sourcing their contents from all over the world so some times the disk don't work in your player when its of another region. I had this issue with Quantum Of Solace for which I had to buy my own copy from Amazon US which I could have easily rented here for 100 bucks.

i had checked out planetm,music world here at hyderabad and was surprised to see quite a lot of good titles available in BD,like the matrix,dark knight,triple-X and a lot other. and the prices are also not bad,like they were ranging from 1200rs.

Vj

Croma was giving for 750 each.Does BDp play mkv ripped mov too?

Yes, I remember about 3-4 months back (my last visit) Rhythm House selling 1+1 free for Rs. 1800. That's Rs. 900/BD.

Normally BDp do not play MKV movies.
But Oppo BDP-83 is supporting this. But no NTFS support for USB drive. This means MKVs have to be less than 4GB. Most of the movies are 4.37 or above.
But it should be play from the MKVs burned on DVD/ BD media. Will have to read reviews to see how well/ smooth these larger files play?

Deepak, you are confusing some terms here. DTS, DD and Dolby True HD and DTS/HD are ways of encoding, compressing, storing and finally delivering either 6 or 8 channel of movie sound. Till HD arrived in the market most sound tracks were stored in lossy compressed formats. With the arrival of larger disc space, Dolby and DTS have started using lossless compressions techniques and these will certainly give you better sound.

PCM or Pulse Code Modulation, is a general purpose way of sampling and representing analogue signals in digital form, and demodulating the digital signals back to analogue. PCM is used even in your telephone and mobile phones.

PCM can modulate and demodulate both compressed and uncompressed sound signals.

Dolby and DTS use various and possibly different mathematical models for compression. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

I had written a detailed thread on PCM and LPCM some time ago. see if you can trace that thread and read it to understand the technologies.

Cheers

Croma was giving for 750 each.Does BDp play mkv ripped mov too?

I beleive croma no longer keeps DVD ,BD and Cds .....They sold DVD ,CD & VCD at 60% Discount! ( I bought from their Malad.Vashi % Nerul outlet)
Currently no stock of BD,DVD,CD etc..

Deepak, you are confusing some terms here. DTS, DD and Dolby True HD and DTS/HD are ways of encoding, compressing, storing and finally delivering either 6 or 8 channel of movie sound. Till HD arrived in the market most sound tracks were stored in lossy compressed formats. With the arrival of larger disc space, Dolby and DTS have started using lossless compressions techniques and these will certainly give you better sound.

PCM or Pulse Code Modulation, is a general purpose way of sampling and representing analogue signals in digital form, and demodulating the digital signals back to analogue. PCM is used even in your telephone and mobile phones.

Dolby and DTS use various and possibly different mathematical models for compression. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

I had written a detailed thread on PCM and LPCM some time ago. see if you can trace that thread and read it to understand the technologies.

Cheers

Can you please explain the audio options here on this BD

Blu-ray.com - Blue Man Group: How to Be a Megastar Blu-ray

Audio
PCM 5.1 surround 24/48khz
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Stereo PCM 2.0

Thanks.

Audio
Stereo PCM 2.0

Thanks.

As you can see,its PCM format.ie it is not compressed/converted to DDHD or DtsHD.Some Bluray moy are produced without using HDcodecs,but burnt with lossless PCM option.

This PCM is not totally lossless as samplerate suggests.
Many Hollywood bluray comes with PCm format now a days.

Other options are regular formats.(some DVDs have dual opt DD/DtS)

Hi
I am puting a very easy and novice question. I like to colect few music video BDs and BBC BDs. I have found some of them in Amazon.usa. Will they be playable in PS3 here? Or, if in future somebody purchase OPPO BDP-83, can he play these Music video BDs of Amazon.usa in BDP-83?

One of my friend is visiting Vancouver Canada this saturday. Will it be advisable to request him to pick some BDs from there on Music video or BBC documentary?

Thanks
Amit

Hi
I am puting a very easy and novice question. I like to colect few music video BDs and BBC BDs. I have found some of them in Amazon.usa. Will they be playable in PS3 here? Or, if in future somebody purchase OPPO BDP-83, can he play these Music video BDs of Amazon.usa in BDP-83?

One of my friend is visiting Vancouver Canada this saturday. Will it be advisable to request him to pick some BDs from there on Music video or BBC documentary?

Thanks
Amit

Where is your PC sourced from? N America or Japan? If former then all BR Disks will play from US and Canada. Also re: BBC documentaries, make sure you pick the ones with commentary from British folks rather than US. Walking with Dinosaurs and Planet Earth are some that are terrible to listen to with American voice backdrop

Cheers

Venkat, will definitely go thru the thread to understand this better.

I got confused seeing PCM mentioned in the audio options of the disc , if my memory serves right it said English Dolby 5.1,PCM 5.1 and few discs had the HD audio.I havent seen PCM mentioned in audio options earlier (printed on back cover of the disc)

Hence I raised this doubt..basically I wanted to know if I'm picking up 2 discs in the offer which would be a good choice for experiencing better sound...

You will require the modding when you come across a region locked BD from Excel which is Locked to C and won't work on your player without the Hardware modding. Since blu ray is a new medium so Sony and Big are not locking them right now but when the medium matures by that time all the disks would be locked to their specific regions. As I have a PS3 which is region A, so I wasn't having any problem with the BDs until now. Now there are rental librarys who are letting BD's to their customers are sourcing their contents from all over the world so some times the disk don't work in your player when its of another region. I had this issue with Quantum Of Solace for which I had to buy my own copy from Amazon US which I could have easily rented here for 100 bucks.

Ashish, maybe I do not share the same concerns 'cos my library sources discs from US which is region 1/ ABC or from local Sony/BIG both seems to play on my player and is region ABC too.

Hopefully for another 3 years they will not start releasing discs that are region specific, by then I'm sure they will launch a new range with features that you will never use but still want , making you upgrade!!!

I got confused seeing PCM mentioned in the audio options of the disc , if my memory serves right it said English Dolby 5.1,PCM 5.1 and few discs had the HD audio.I havent seen PCM mentioned in audio options earlier (printed on back cover of the disc)

Hence I raised this doubt..basically I wanted to know if I'm picking up 2 discs in the offer which would be a good choice for experiencing better sound...

reju said:

Audio
Stereo PCM 2.0

Please visit the following threads for a detailed explanation. If you need more clarifications, please come back to me.

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/2464-bitstream-pcm.html
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/1823-ps3-price-india.html

Cheers

Thanks Venkat.

Just to clarify you mentioned " PCM and bitstream is used in conjunction with traditional formats such as 2 channel stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS " then why did the blue ray disc have PCM mentioned in the audio options ? (hope my doubt is not like a Seethaikku Raman chittappa kind of statement!!!)

Just to clarify you mentioned " PCM and bitstream is used in conjunction with traditional formats such as 2 channel stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS " then why did the blue ray disc have PCM mentioned in the audio options ? (hope my doubt is not like a Seethaikku Raman chittappa kind of statement!!!)

Well it is both simple and a little stupid. HD Audio from Dolby and DTS use lossless compression techniques. During playback, they have to be decoded at the player as sent as PCM. They cannot be sent as raw bitstream. This is simply because the size of data needs a large bandwidth that can be carried only on HDMI. Neither S/PDIF nor optical can carry this HD audio.

When you are using a Blu-Ray, most of the connections will be through HDMI. Thus the manufacturers and software provider have enabled the player to decode standard Dolby and DTS and send them as PCM data also. This is more for convenience.

Of course you can also use a S/PDIF or optical in addition to HDMI and send traditional Dolby/DTS as raw signals.

It is kind of Seethaiku Raman Chitappa as both Raman and the Chitappas do the same tasks with some limitations.

For those of you who don't understand 'Seethaiku Raman Chitappa', this is an old Tamil saying. Essentially it says that when you don't listen properly or concentrate on the story, you will listen to the whole of Ramayana and then ask the teacher whether Lord Ram is Seeth's uncle (chacha in Hindi).

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back