Blue Ray on HD ready TV

deepakpraveen

Hi, not sure if this has been discussed before. I have a Samsung series 4 HD READY TV ,currently I play regular DVD's on my Sony DVD player that upscales to 1080 p/i (thru HDMI output).

Will a blue ray player show visible difference in picture quality when paired with a HD ready TV (vis a vis upscaled dvd) ??

Also I read somewhere that one can hardly make out difference in picture clarity on a 32 inch HD ready TV and Full HD TV when blue ray disc is played (i.e HD ready is good enough) and the difference is visible only on bigger screen sizes is this true ?

Hi, not sure if this has been discussed before. I have a Samsung series 4 HD READY TV ,currently I play regular DVD's on my Sony DVD player that upscales to 1080 p/i (thru HDMI output).

Will a blue ray player show visible difference in picture quality when paired with a HD ready TV (vis a vis upscaled dvd) ??

Yes, it certainly will. IMHO BD player will be say about 50% better than an upscaled DVD. Just ensure that your HD ready TV can accept 1080p inputs. Some TVs do not accept, so you cannot connect BDP with those TVs.

Also I read somewhere that one can hardly make out difference in picture clarity on a 32 inch HD ready TV and Full HD TV when blue ray disc is played (i.e HD ready is good enough) and the difference is visible only on bigger screen sizes is this true ?

This is true. Normally 40-42' onwards. But if you are buying a new 32" TV and have enough budget, then why not go for the better TV?
If you sit close, say 3-4' then difference could be seen.

HD ready accepts 1080p & downscale to 720p to display on screen.

Last edited:
HD ready accepts 1080p 7 downscale to 720p to display on screen.

Only then it can be termed as HD ready? Is it?

Because many LCD TVs including moserw's LCD does not accept 1080p. So they are not HD ready I guess??? Please clarify.

Only then it can be termed as HD ready? Is it?

Because many LCD TVs including moserw's LCD does not accept 1080p. So they are not HD ready I guess??? Please clarify.

All HD ready tvs are 720p native.necessarily not all 720p will be HDready as special circuit is reqd(downscaler) which can do the job.

There is other way to get HD mov to non HDready tvs-
set your BDp to 720p output on HDMI settings.
similarly few BDp can downscale HDaud & output via spdf(atleast in PC)

Hello deepak,
well there are two kind of televisons HD Ready and FULL HD.
HD Ready has a native resolution of 720P but they can accept 1080i signals as well. Now P stands for progressive that means the entire picture is produced at a time and i stand for interlaced that means series of horizontal lines iterlaced to create the picture. My HD ready samsung is pretty old and it can accept 1080i signals. Hence I am pretty sure that urs can do as well. Just set your BD player input setting to 720P and 1080i to check what you find better and settle for it. Also there is another thing 1080i 50 Hz or 1080i 60hz I guess this HZ refers to the refresh rate just play with it to see what you like.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Thanks Guys.

As mentioned I have a Samsung 32 inch HD ready TV (a year old) ,have asked my cousin to get me a Panasonic BD 60 blue ray player ( reviews rate it as one of the best players available currently ). My Sony DVD that upscales is pretty decent, hope the blue ray will be better.

Its quite frustrating at times, it seems impossible to have all gadgets with latest technology at one go (unless you are loaded that is).When you manage to upgrade to HD Audio AVR / HD Video Player the TV is not full HD :sad:

Hello deepak,
well there are two kind of televisons HD Ready and FULL HD.
HD Ready has a native resolution of 720P but they can accept 1080i signals as well. Now P stands for progressive that means the entire picture is produced at a time and i stand for interlaced that means series of horizontal lines iterlaced to create the picture. My HD ready samsung is pretty old and it can accept 1080i signals. Hence I am pretty sure that urs can do as well. Just set your BD player input setting to 720P and 1080i to check what you find better and settle for it. Also there is another thing 1080i 50 Hz or 1080i 60hz I guess this HZ refers to the refresh rate just play with it to see what you like.
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

true. i think 720p teles can accept 1080p signals as well, just that it would be downscaled to 720p. my bravia hd ready manual says that. hdmi res upto 1080p supported.

i have sony bravia HD ready tv 32 inches...................my living room is small and i really get annoyed with the jerk in the video i get........in all other full hd tvs...tata sky gives much better output...where as in my tv the video is jerky(even if i sit at 10 feet distance).......i feell i made a HUGE mistake by buying a HD ready...i should have bought Full HD....THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY OF HD READY AND FULL HD -""EVEN IN 32 INCH TV"" - as opposed to many who think size of a smaller lcd will make FULL HD and hd READY equal!!!! - my personal adivce-- FULL HD much much better than HD ready...if ur using tata sky or any dth service!!!:indifferent14:

Already people have answered yours:
1. BluRay content is much much better than DVD content
2. MY BluRay rips when played in my PV8 blows DVD way out so you can will see the difference
3. At 32 inch you would see difference between Full HD and HD, even in my 42inch, we noticed small difference btw a Full HD and HD
4. Like spi mentioned, ensure your BDp is set to 720p as the BDp does better down scaling than your TV

Enjoy and post u r experience

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back