blue ray player

Useful only if you have a lot of Blu-Ray discs, also the players are quite expensive. You can pick up a PS3 for the price.

If you are going to be playing DVDs, Divx rips, etc. then an upscaling DVDP would be a much better option.

hi buddy

can u tell me which player supports upscaled rips or h264 rips like mkv.

i know there is not any player which plays mkv but can u tell me the one which plays upscaled rips.

i have heard that xbox360 plays lots of stuff

if u know any other pls suggest one.

thanks

thanks for your message

i am looking out for BR player

The best bang for the buck is the Sony PS3 since its a multi-featured system unlike standalone players.

It has a harddrive that you can store audio and video on including your favourite (download :) ) MP3s, AVi, DivX and other stuff. It offers 20 - 80GB worth of disk drive.

Load times are very good. Supports all latest audio formats. and also the video upscaling for standard DVDs to 1080P. It suppors SACD to boot. provides HDMI/analog connections in case your AVR is old.

The firmwares that come with it are pretty regular and have major updates that tend to fix things reliably.

On speaking to some friends of mine in Market Research companies in the US, they say this is by far the best selling BR player in the market given its cost and performance and usage.

Also did I mention it can play games ???

PS. I dont' work for Sony nor do I intend to in the near future.

hi buddy

can u tell me which player supports upscaled rips or h264 rips like mkv.

i know there is not any player which plays mkv but can u tell me the one which plays upscaled rips.

i have heard that xbox360 plays lots of stuff

if u know any other pls suggest one.

thanks

PS3 as of now for H.264.

i do have a play station 3 and is connected to a tv in my room ,. i never new that it can used as a blue ray as i gave it to my kid and all these days she has been using to paly the games alone,kindly let me know if it has all the necessary wires with the package itself

PS3 doesn't come with a hdmi cable and optical cable. Very much required for enjoying bluray in true glory.

BTW, one of the dudes in this other forum i frequent, got a hddvd/bluray combo rw drive for a throwaway price of Rs 6500 in chroma, Bangalore. Check out !

Well, good news-

Panasonic Blue ray model I think MK30(30 is sure not MK)
is for 24k with all on board HD decoders,24f p support & BD1.1 version.
I read in whathifi mag.(Nov issue)
Its grop test winner,ahead of PS3.Even Pioneer,samsung.It has 5.1 ana out & HDMI aud output too.

Last edited:
Well, good news-

Panasonic Blue ray model I think MK30(30 is sure not MK)
is for 24k with all on board HD decoders,24f p support & BD1.1 version.
I read in whathifi mag.(Nov issue)
Its grop test winner,ahead of PS3.Even Pioneer,samsung.It has 5.1 ana out & HDMI aud output too.

If its the BD30 i think your wrong with reference to this review .....

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray Player Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

Sadly, the unit doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so you'll only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from these six-channel analogue outputs. All of which means that the only way to hear high-resolution audio formats is via the HDMI output, which isn't much help if your amp is nearing retirement age.

If its the BD30 i think your wrong with reference to this review .....

Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray Player Review - Home Cinema Reviews - TrustedReviews

Sadly, the unit doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so you'll only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from these six-channel analogue outputs. All of which means that the only way to hear high-resolution audio formats is via the HDMI output, which isn't much help if your amp is nearing retirement age.

If amp is nearing retirement, no BD player is going to help. I assume that it simply wont have 7.1 inputs.

It only bitstreams i think does not decode onboard.

From the people I know that were early adopters of BD30, most have been using to upscale their SDs. They are disappointed that the firmware has not addressed the support for the hi res audio formats even after 2 yrs. Its was too expensive to start with so thats the saving grace.

The PS3 features and updates handily beat the Pana when it comes to experiencing the new audio and video formats.

i do have a play station 3 and is connected to a tv in my room ,. i never new that it can used as a blue ray as i gave it to my kid and all these days she has been using to paly the games alone,kindly let me know if it has all the necessary wires with the package itself

Hi Shankar,

To get the best AV effects off of your PS3, HDMI is the recommended connection type. No need to buy super expensive cables like Monster or other brands. Any reasonably priced cable will do the same job.

A bigger issue is if your TV can handle FULL HD (1080P) resolution to get the best 1080P clarity. For this the resolution of your TV shoudl be 1920 x 1080

Note:
Now this does not mean that you wont get great effects on another display, its jus that this is the perfect match.

The HDMI handles the best uncompressed audio that blu-ray has to offer. A receiver that decodes and outputs uncompressed audio is also required. Onkyo 605 is one that fits the bill as its relatively cheap and handles all the newer AV formats.

>>>From the people I know that were early adopters of BD30, most have been using to upscale their SDs.

Not true. I have a BD30 and it produces a great picture from the BluRay disks. I had compared it with the PS3 before buying.

I also believe that it is better to have the receiver do the audio decoding. If you use the 7.1 analog out from the player then the receiver would convert it back to digital and then back to analog again. The new receivers do so much work in the digital domain before the amplification, that it makes sense to give them the original digital signal. Go ahead and buy a BluRay player, even if it would take you a few months for the receiver upgrade. If you have the money, a Bly Ray would beat an unscaled DVD any day.

Thanks,
Sharad

>>>From the people I know that were early adopters of BD30, most have been using to upscale their SDs.

Not true. I have a BD30 and it produces a great picture from the BluRay disks. I had compared it with the PS3 before buying.

I also believe that it is better to have the receiver do the audio decoding. If you use the 7.1 analog out from the player then the receiver would convert it back to digital and then back to analog again. The new receivers do so much work in the digital domain before the amplification, that it makes sense to give them the original digital signal. Go ahead and buy a BluRay player, even if it would take you a few months for the receiver upgrade. If you have the money, a Bly Ray would beat an unscaled DVD any day.

Thanks,
Sharad

But the digital and back to analog conversion woudln't incur if the player decodes hi res codecs internally and sends it over hdmi as lpcm.....
Thats what many of us are after, who have hdmi but not 1.3 ....

Sharad

You have only taken a part of my comment and hence it becomes out of context. What I state after is the reason for the particular adoption. Pic quality was/is not the issue.

They are disappointed that the firmware has not addressed the support for the hi res audio formats even after 2 yrs.

The new receivers do so much work in the digital domain before the amplification, that it makes sense to give them the original digital signal. Go ahead and buy a BluRay player, even if it would take you a few months for the receiver upgrade. If you have the money, a Bly Ray would beat an unscaled DVD any day.

Thanks,
Sharad

The answer to this is that it depends - since there could be multiple A/D and D/A conversions on the path. Also, it depends on how the components are connected.

I sure have the money for a BR player...but still holding off on the circus (or chaos depending on how one sees it) with the audio processing. I am not a big V fan in the AV though I love sports and documentaries and some movies. My inclination is more towards the A.

Technically PS3 is a no brainer for me.
Im particularly waiting to see how blu ray disk market matures in india.

Over the next few years whether they will carry only region 'c' or even other regions disks in India ?

Will region free blu ray players become the norm over the next few years following the trend of dvd ?

Technically PS3 is a no brainer for me.
Im particularly waiting to see how blu ray disk market matures in india.

Over the next few years whether they will carry only region 'c' or even other regions disks in India ?

Will region free blu ray players become the norm over the next few years following the trend of dvd ?

Same here. Even in teh US, there is not much coming out in BR. Most titles are reconditioned old movies or shows. Why would I drop a bundle to watch James Bond in Blu Ray esp. when there is more bare skin in Hindi songs these days :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back