Blues Blues!

Fairly well made documentary on Robert Johnson - well worth 45 minutes of your time. I certainly learnt a thing or two about arguably the most influential blues man of all time.

Superb recording of an incredible artist. Superb album.

eric_bibb_-_blues_ballads_work_songs.jpg

Haven't gone thru the full 5 pages of the thread, but if no one has mentioned him before - Gary Clark Jr.

I've been listening to this album recently - covers of Mississippi blues standards. Some songs get repetitive but the album overall has several high points like their take on Crawling Kingsnake and Going down south.

I found out about it via the Audiophile Style Music forum and had a listen to last night.
You are right about the part that it's a bit repetitive a couple of songs into the album.

I just read a write up about this band Blue Temptation in a Shillong webzine …they sound very slick which may seem like a pejorative for a blues band .. but I mean it in a good way …

I just read a write up about this band Blue Temptation in a Shillong webzine …they sound very slick which may seem like a pejorative for a blues band .. but I mean it in a good way …
That’s some groovy blues @moktan
Thanks for sharing.
is this band based in Shillong?

That’s some groovy blues @moktan
Thanks for sharing.
is this band based in Shillong?

World's best guitarist that nobody has heard about.
Too bad he was gone too soon. And how.
An influence for greats like Robbie Robertson, Johnny Winters and Jeff Beck.

Just click on the link. Video will play on YouTube, even though it is showing "unavailable"

World's best guitarist that nobody has heard about.
Too bad he was gone too soon. And how.
An influence for greats like Robbie Robertson, Johnny Winters and Jeff Beck.

Just click on the link. Video will play on YouTube, even though it is showing "unavailable"
love this guy... one of my fav's too!

Here are some of my recommendations of electric Blues :

1. A man and the blues - Buddy Guy
2. West side soul - Magic Sam (Considered the greatest blues album ever)
3. Hoodoo man blues - Junior Wells and Buddy Guy
4. So many roads - Otis Rush (blues should be listened to live and it seldom gets better than this!!!)
5. Ice Pickin' - Albert Collins
6. Born under a bad sign - Albert King
7. Do the boogie! - BB King (This is a terrific collection of BB King's early output)
8. Live at Regal - BB King (Considered by many to be the greatest live Blues album - but I prefer the earlier entry by Otis Rush for that distinction)
9. The best of Taj Mahal (superb collection - very musical blues and contains fantastic guitar work by the late great Jesse Ed Davis)
10. Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf chess collections are terrific
11. John Lee Hooker/Freddie King/Little Walter/Jimmy Reed/Sonny Boy Williamson - any collection

"White boy" blues :

1. John Mayall Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (this is where Clapton cut his teeth and became 'God')
2. A hard road - John Mayall Bluesbreakers (after Clapton left, Peter Green stepped in and actually managed to exceed Clapton!)
3. Paul Butterfield blues band (with the late great Mike Bloomfield on guitar)
4. Fleetwood Mac greatest hits - this is the first avatar of the band with Peter Green (not the later pop version)
5. In the skies - Peter Green (rumour has it that it is actually Snowy White on guitar - but all the same fantastic album)
7. Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn (Apparently when Dicky Betts of Alman Brothers first heard 'Pride and Joy' on the radio he shouted Hallelujah!)

The are many bands like Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jeff Beck band, Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Alman Brothers band which straddle Blues and Rock - there are a lot of fun as well.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back