Bluetooth for surround speakers

HiFiManish

Hi All,

Need some advice on, following setup, if it would work:

I’ll attach 2 Bluetooth transmitters to speaker terminal of AVR for surround sound speakers. And will pair them with Bluetooth speakers for each channel. So two transmitters separately paired with two Bluetooth speakers.

Questions are:

1. If I get 2 transmitters of same model, and 2 Bluetooth same speakers as well, how would I make two pairs individually? Note that there are no screen to see which is paired with which one.
  2. Let’s say I made it. Is there any chance of them interfering with each other during system restart or so?
  3. AVR output in amplified and Bluetooth speakers have amplifiers. Transmitter would just pass the signals as it is, so technically do you see any issues?
  4. Quality may be a compromise due to Bluetooth but let’s say fine for surround sound. Will it be Okay?
  5. What about loudness?
  6. So you see any reason why this setup won’t work?

Thanks,
HiFiManish

I’ll attach 2 Bluetooth transmitters to speaker terminal of AVR for surround sound speakers
AFAIK you may not be in a position to use the AVR speaker terminals in Bluetooth adapter, may be pre out can help.Even such device exists u have to go for inbuild amplifier in receiver end where the speaker is connected
Let’s say I made it. Is there any chance of them interfering with each other during system restart or so
Depends on the model
Quality may be a compromise due to Bluetooth but let’s say fine for surround sound. Will it be Okay?
its upto you
So you see any reason why this setup won’t work
How are u planning to give power to the amplifier section .you may need to check the feasibility to power them up ( POWER SOCKET IS REQUIRED )
What about loudness?
Depends on the inbuild power amp which you are planning to use .Your idea is similar to active speaker connected to a Bluetooth adapter

check the link below which is readily available in market

Rocket fish wireless speaker kit

Last edited:
Hi All,

Need some advice on, following setup, if it would work:

I’ll attach 2 Bluetooth transmitters to speaker terminal of AVR for surround sound speakers. And will pair them with Bluetooth speakers for each channel. So two transmitters separately paired with two Bluetooth speakers.

Questions are:

1. If I get 2 transmitters of same model, and 2 Bluetooth same speakers as well, how would I make two pairs individually? Note that there are no screen to see which is paired with which one.
  2. Let’s say I made it. Is there any chance of them interfering with each other during system restart or so?
  3. AVR output in amplified and Bluetooth speakers have amplifiers. Transmitter would just pass the signals as it is, so technically do you see any issues?
  4. Quality may be a compromise due to Bluetooth but let’s say fine for surround sound. Will it be Okay?
  5. What about loudness?
  6. So you see any reason why this setup won’t work?

Thanks,
HiFiManish

Could you list the product you are looking to try? Also which Bluetooth speakers?

I would not recommend connecting to powered outputs. Rather if you can connect to Pre outs if available, then that would be a better option.

Although even if you made it unless the kit is designed for this purpose, I would advise not to try this.

Yamaha has such a tech built into their AVRs, you may want to explore this. Yamaha MusicCast

MaSh

Thanks all for reply. Here are my views:

AFAIK you may not be in a position to use the AVR speaker terminals in Bluetooth adapter, may be pre out can help.Even such device exists u have to go for inbuild amplifier in receiver end where the speaker is connected
I think it should be possible. Typically Bluetooth transmitter is used for Bluetooth headphones while watching tv. So signal here from tv is already amplified as headphone won’t have amplifier (as far as I know). With some analogy it should be doable.
Depends on the model
This has been one of main concerns!!
Will it cross connect?
Will fresh setup be required every time?
Point to be noted that there would not be any screen to see the pairing items!
How are u planning to give power to the amplifier section .you may need to check the feasibility to power them up ( POWER SOCKET IS REQUIRED )
Bloutooth speakers are Battary operated (UE Wonderboom?)
Your idea is similar to active speaker connected to a Bluetooth adapter
Precisely.
Won’t a Bluetooth speaker replace this combination?
It has both on these two elements (power or output is a different question)
Could you list the product you are looking to try? Also which Bluetooth speakers?
UE wonderboom as Bluetooth speaker and tewtross Bluetooth audio transmitter - these are just examples...
I would not recommend connecting to powered outputs. Rather if you can connect to Pre outs if available, then that would be a better option.
Got it!
But are you saying powered source won’t work at all?
I would advise not to try this.
Okay..but what is specific apprehension?
Yamaha has such a tech built into their AVRs, you may want to explore this. Yamaha MusicCast
this is in newer models, I have something old..hence This is not an option (unless there is some sort of proprietary adapter is also there in market..)

Thanks all for reply. Here are my views

UE wonderboom as Bluetooth speaker and tewtross Bluetooth audio transmitter - these are just examples...

Got it!
But are you saying powered source won’t work at all?

Okay..but what is specific apprehension?

this is in newer models, I have something old..hence This is not an option (unless there is some sort of proprietary adapter is also there in market..)

For one, amplified signal is analogue and as far as I know the transmitter will need a low level signal, like a pre out signal.

MaSh

Typically Bluetooth transmitter is used for Bluetooth headphones while watching tv. So signal here from tv is already amplified as headphone won’t have amplifier (as far as I know). With some analogy it should be doable.
Usually TV audio output will be taken from preamp section of the TV not from the speaker terminal fyi.( RCA out/optical / head phone out put - with volume control option only for head phone out and partial amplification)
U are missing the logic here.every speakers should have amplifier. it doesn't mean that some thing build like a tank.speaker is a output device amplifier is feeding power to speakers. bluetooth Head phone is also driven by small amplifiers which is inside .simple Headphone is just a speaker .If you don't want to use for ht purpose small inbuilt amplifier will do the job ( Bluetooth headphone/speaker).But u are planning to use it for AVR and surround speakers which needs amplifier .
Amplifier needs external power ( power socket or battery operated )
If you are talking about battery operated one, how are u planning to charge the battery.
Hope Iam not confusing here.

If you don't want to use for ht purpose small inbuilt amplifier will do the job ( Bluetooth headphone/speaker).But u are planning to use it for AVR and surround speakers which needs amplifier .
Fine, got your point of avr use would need higher amplification than one provided by Bluetooth speaker.
So let’s say I would want to use it for small volume (through AVR itself). Will it make sense?
Usually TV audio output will be taken from preamp section of the TV not from the speaker terminal fyi.( RCA out/optical / head phone out put - with volume control option only for head phone out and partial amplification)
U are missing
bluetooth speaker would provide amplification, right?
However would be low for HT usage, you are saying?
battery operated )
If you are talking about battery operated one, how are u planning to charge the battery.
That’s not an issue! Charge it whenever it gets discharged, it’s portable, so for cheffing you can place it near power socket..
r one, amplified signal is analogue and as far as I know the transmitter will need a low level signal, like a pre out signal.
So in gist, bluetooth transmitter can’t be used?

So in gist, bluetooth transmitter can’t be used?
That's correct. From what is currently in my knowledge, this cannot be done.

However, could you provide more insight as to what are you experimenting with? Is it just to avoid cables running across the room or is there more to it?

MaSh

That's correct. From what is currently in my knowledge, this cannot be done.

However, could you provide more insight as to what are you experimenting with? Is it just to avoid cables running across the room or is there more to it?

MaSh
Well..avoiding cable was the starting point, but later this thought went into more of concept testing..i mean why not this will work!’, and obviously trying to see what would be closest to true audio for surround in terms on scale of economy..

I came across rocket fish and amphony, here I got idea of Bluetooth setup!

Thanks.

Well..avoiding cable was the starting point, but later this thought went into more of concept testing..i mean why not this will work!’, and obviously trying to see what would be closest to true audio for surround in terms on scale of economy..

I came across rocket fish and amphony, here I got idea of Bluetooth setup!

Thanks.
Yeah I get what you mean. Just find a way to route the cables and you'll never have to think of it again. Bluetooth and its delays after hiccups of locking onto the source is just a hassle you don't want.

MaSh

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back