Blumenhofer Big Fun 17, Fun 17 & ProAc D18s - your views

Thanks for sharing...

even i'm keen on listening to Khartago...let me know when you get the chance...

One general Q...is planer practical in Indian conditions? Considering dust, heat humidity etc...

the electrostats lik Martin logan/Final have a problem but Maggies are on a different tech which i heard deal with this better

But Bangalore is not humid... folks in Chennai/mumbai and coastal regions are the ones who suffer this problem.

check this out

I would suggest to consider also ARCA s from Cadence . If they overshoot your budget , might even consider well preserved used / restored pair . Few upgrades would do wonders !

Yes, I have the same impression that it is the electrostats from ML which have faced issues in India's humidity/dust. Not the same kind of problems reported for Maggies. Plus I will be keeping them in a ACed environment so I hope to mitigate any potential issues.

I explored Cadence too after I had heard them at the latest B'lore HVF meet. Got in touch with Jochen as he used to sell them and he spoke of the uncertainty around the company's future. And they did not come across very very cheap too as you mention :)

Hi,

Of the above 3, I really enjoyed the Maggie and the Dancer Mini two. The 1.7 were my first exposure to magneplanar type of speakers and they sounded just superb! Very deep sound stage though the width changed dramatically based on the toe in. I have read of 1.7s being finicky on placement and the audition spot was not exactly very conducive. But lushness of mids and the enveloping sound stage was very nice. I am sure those super expensive mono blocks played their part but takes away nothing from these speakers. I am exploring the combo of Odyssey Khartago/Cyclops with 1.7s as an alternate.

If I may....

Maggies are wonderfully rewarding speakers and truly shine with vocals and strings, but the caveat is they absolutely crave power. I own 1.6s which I have tried with various amps, but the ones that really made them sing were MF Superchargers which put out something like 850W @ 4 Ohms.

Some listeners do not take kindly to the diffuse sound they produce, as compared with more conventional speakers, but since you enjoyed listening to them, you probably fall in the Maggie camp. One downside however, be prepared to spend substantially on amplification if you want them to really play their best.

Cheers!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back