BluRay Player or BluRay drive, which one to buy?

akhil7j

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a BluRay source component but confused which would be the best option. A Panasonic BDT-110 3D BluRay Player or a BluRay Burner for PC.?

I have a HTPC with 4TB of space and connected with my 47" 3D LED via Denon AVR.

If I buy Panasonic BluRay player then I will have to hack its region lock since I will be importing it form US or UK. Region hack will again cost some money which as of now i don't know how much but 3-4k is minimum i think.

If I buy BluRay burner then region hack is simple with AnyDVDHD. And in addition to playing, it will burn BDs also.

But quality wise will there be any difference? AFAIK, audio/video signals will be sent digitally to AVR and there audio will be decoded and video will be sent to LED. So there shouldn't be any difference.

What do you suggest? Cost wise there isnt much difference. BluRay burner is of Rs 8700 + Shipping at Primeabgb.com and Panasonic BluRay player will be of Rs 10,000 if I buy from 20North and Rs 11,000 if i buy from Amazon.uk

In my opinion, you should buy BD-ROM or better still BD-RW for the HTPC. Along with that you should also buy the Slysoft AnyDVD HD that will help you rip the BD and burn it to BD-R.

Amazon, UK will not ship electronics such as BDP to India directly. You will have to use Aramex S&S.

Yes, thats what I have mentioned in my post. I will buy AnyDVD HD. I checked today morning and Amazon didn't show any error for Panasonic BluRay Player import. But when I tried to import BD-RW then it showed an error that this item cannot be shipped to your country.

Even I am inclined towards BD-RW but few ppl confused me that dedicated BD Player has better quality. I don't know how the quality will be better thats why I opened a thread here.

If in case I will buy BD-RW, my DVD-RW will be of no use which i bought last month. I don't have extra SATA ports on my Motherboard to attach it so will be happy to sell it at a low price.

Even I am inclined towards BD-RW but few ppl confused me that dedicated BD Player has better quality. I don't know how the quality will be better thats why I opened a thread here.

This is not that true,you may need sometime to config the PC system accurately & there wont be any reason why BDP should perform better.
In PC,you dont need to compromise on future codecs & BDp can be useless in upcoming technology.

Get one BD RW along with a decent graphics card having offload capability for various video formats (ex. NVidia GT 520, 430 .....) and start enjoying your collection. You can also look into makemkv, I am using it right now and it seems to be good in it's work.

Regards ....

Just confirmed that Asus BD-RW is available at local store. So shipping cost is saved. :)

My current HTPC config is:

Core i3 - 2100 (Sandy Bridge)
Intel H67 chipset motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM
4TB HDDs
HP DVD RW

Bitstreaming of HD audio is on board and CPU is 3D Ready. I have connected this via HDMI1.4a to my Denon and enjoy 3D Movies.

I was going to buy NVidia 440GT but found no use of it as of now. My board n CPU does everything I want. Is there any other configuration I need for better performance?

I play my Audio CDs through my CD Player but will be adding Xonar Essence to play FLACs/APE thru my HTPC soon.

You have pretty decent hardware setup for HTPC. As long as you're satisfied with onboard GC there is no need to buy another one.

I do have one Xonar essence STX, but I stopped using it even for music listening since I can bit-stream audio to my onkyo 5008 without any problem through HDMI.

Regards

Just confirmed that Asus BD-RW is available at local store. So shipping cost is saved. :)

My current HTPC config is:

Core i3 - 2100 (Sandy Bridge)
Intel H67 chipset motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM
4TB HDDs
HP DVD RW

Bitstreaming of HD audio is on board and CPU is 3D Ready. I have connected this via HDMI1.4a to my Denon and enjoy 3D Movies.

I was going to buy NVidia 440GT but found no use of it as of now. My board n CPU does everything I want. Is there any other configuration I need for better performance?

I play my Audio CDs through my CD Player but will be adding Xonar Essence to play FLACs/APE thru my HTPC soon.

You have pretty decent hardware setup for HTPC. As long as you're satisfied with onboard GC there is no need to buy another one.

I do have one Xonar essence STX, but I stopped using it even for music listening since I can bit-stream audio to my onkyo 5008 without any problem through HDMI.

Regards

Onkyo 5008 is an AVR and Xonar Essence is a stereo Sound Card. You say AVR is better for stereo listening too? Thats really nice because I would save some money here. Although I am not so much happy with Denon 1611 stereo quality, so probably would be looking for a DAC other than Xonar.

Onkyo 5008 is an AVR and Xonar Essence is a stereo Sound Card. You say AVR is better for stereo listening too? Thats really nice because I would save some money here. Although I am not so much happy with Denon 1611 stereo quality, so probably would be looking for a DAC other than Xonar.

I never used line out of Xonar STX, always used COAX link. Onkyo 5008 is also good for music listening (it's subjective observation, BTW I like natural and laid back sound). For music listening 80% of time I use pure audio mode feature of 5008.

Regards ...

If you never used Line Out of Xonar then your never tested the capabilities of its DAC. You should have given it a try otherwise there is no use of buying Xonar. A cheap Sound Card would have passed the digital signals to your AVR.

Pure Audio in Onkyo means no equalization, no audio enhancement. Just amplify the audio and pass it to speakers. Right? Denon has similar thing called Direct Mode.

Even I like natural, mellow sound and that is why I don't like Denon Stereo output much. Its a little bright and I've heard Onkyo also and it sounded same to me. I'm getting Creek AMP for my stereo setup to drive my Epos. Oops, the topic is totally diverting to other subject.

So, I think BD-RW is what I should go for.

If you never used Line Out of Xonar then your never tested the capabilities of its DAC. You should have given it a try otherwise there is no use of buying Xonar. A cheap Sound Card would have passed the digital signals to your AVR.

True, I never had intention to do the same. I bought it for some other purpose.

Pure Audio in Onkyo means no equalization, no audio enhancement. Just amplify the audio and pass it to speakers. Right? Denon has similar thing called Direct Mode.

Right, in short no fancy processing of payload...

Even I like natural, mellow sound and that is why I don't like Denon Stereo output much. Its a little bright and I've heard Onkyo also and it sounded same to me. I'm getting Creek AMP for my stereo setup to drive my Epos. Oops, the topic is totally diverting to other subject.

I have auditioned Denon @ profx and I can understand your feeling, have you auditioned newer onkyo, especially 5008 . I found onkyo old sound signature is gone in this AVR and it's more neutral and laid back. BTW what speakers are you using, it has more to do with sound colouration rather then an amplifier.

Sure

Nice reply. :D

I have EPOS M22i and M12i for Stereo and HT setup. :) They are great speakers. I have calibrated my AVR as per my listening taste. But still I find Creek Stereo AMP better than any Basic AVRs.

I had a chance of listening to Anthem AVR. I was totally impressed with the sound quality. Its a recommended product for someone who wants separate Stereo and and HT setup. The stereo mode of Anthem is too good. First time I heard EPOS M22i literally crying. You really don't need a dedicated stereo amp if you have Anthem.

but I stopped using it even for music listening since I can bit-stream audio to my onkyo 5008 without any problem through HDMI.

Regards

An analog out from Xonar to a stereo AMP like Creek or Cambridge is a whole different world (specially with high end spks like the OP has) than bit streaming audio via HDMI to AVR with Pure Audio (I also have an Onkyo BTW)

@Akhil,
Although you felt you were diverting to other subject, but it is important. Xonar DAC is quite good. I used to listen to xonar analog out to Leben Amp+ BE718 speaker combo and it was vey nice.
Now my Marantz AVR is connected to Xonar through HDMI. I am yet to listen critically the combo. But I feel Xonar analog out to AVR would be better. I am thinking for a pair of interconnect to try for it. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
Yeah, your comment could lead to another multiple futile posting on signalling theory :) and since I reserve my opinion about same, so whatever you say about analogue and or digital signal is okay.

Regards ...

An analog out from Xonar to a stereo AMP like Creek or Cambridge is a whole different world (specially with high end spks like the OP has) than bit streaming audio via HDMI to AVR with Pure Audio (I also have an Onkyo BTW)

^^ Its not just about analog or digital, its the entire route that makes the difference ......... also Its not about what I say, its what the world says and yes then testing it by yourself as well...... :)

@Akhil,
Although you felt you were diverting to other subject, but it is important. Xonar DAC is quite good. I used to listen to xonar analog out to Leben Amp+ BE718 speaker combo and it was vey nice.
Now my Marantz AVR is connected to Xonar through HDMI. I am yet to listen critically the combo. But I feel Xonar analog out to AVR would be better. I am thinking for a pair of interconnect to try for it. What's your opinion?

Amit Sir,

I never got the chance to listen to Xonar audio output and buying something related to audio without auditioning is pointless.

But when I heard it at your place with Epos M12i, I was impressed by the output. Earlier I was planning to buy a DAC for my personal use but then changed my mind to Xonar after listening at your home.

Xonar I wpuld not rate as best but it is value for money. I am talking about the Audiophile Xonar card. I think you have the same.

Yes, it will be great if you will compare both the outputs. Xonar DAC and Marantz DAC. Which interconnects you are using presently?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Amit Sir,

I never got the chance to listen to Xonar audio output and buying something related to audio without auditioning is pointless.

auditioning is overrated, people fail to pick better components in blind tests, where every thing is same and only one component changes and listening is immediate. How will someone pick a better component when one's listening over a period of months, in different rooms, with different component chain?

Most of the DIYers have never heard the speaker/component/design that they choose to make next and most of the times they are happy.

^^ @doors I agree to a point, but auditioning is the closest thing next to a blind purchase ..... How do you suggest one should purchase an audio equipment, where the auditioning can only be done over a period of weeks (if not months), in different listining environment and with different component chain.....? There has to be some tangible aspect here. Even if we justify your reason a blind purchase (or a purchase solely based on reviews) would be the last thing one should do/recommend ..... :)

^^ @doors I agree to a point, but auditioning is the closest thing next to a blind purchase ..... How do you suggest one should purchase an audio equipment, where the auditioning can only be done over a period of weeks (if not months), in different listining environment and with different component chain.....? There has to be some tangible aspect here. Even if we justify your reason a blind purchase (or a purchase solely based on reviews) would be the last thing one should do/recommend ..... :)

I agree to what you are saying. My response was to the comment that without auditioning, its pointless to buy something. Thats why I said its overrated, not useless:). If I could audition an equip, I definitely would, but if I cant, doesnot mean its ruled out.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back