Book shelves with great bass

Rajkumars

I need suggestions in selecting bookshelves for 100 % music use
Please share the brand/models of Bookshelves with great bass .....no muddiness ..... Under 50k

I need suggestions in selecting bookshelves for 100 % music use
Please share the brand/models of Bookshelves with great bass .....no muddiness ..... Under 50k

There are no stand-mount speakers with "great" bass. It is very difficult to get down to lower frequencies with a smaller cabinet, "small-ish" drivers and low cost.
Usually, people add a sub to take over LF duties in combination with active bass management in the amp.

LF performance is a function of the driver/speaker construction and your room. BS/FS can sound acceptable or muddy/boomy depending on placement in the room.
Walls can aid a puny speaker enhance bass, but can play havoc with larger speakers.

If you expect your speakers to perform "perfectly" (as per your ears) without minimal treatment to your room and/or some room correction HW/SW, the options are limited only to placement.
You can get only so much from stand mounts by proper placement.

The best method is to use software to understand your room, then suitably treat it. The poor man's way is to get BS and make the most of it.

As for brands, I own a pair of KEFR300s and BW 303s.
The KEFs perform best in LF when placed at least 2 feet away from walls on stands. They are horrible when robbed of breathing space.
The BWs are a bit more forgiving, in the sense they require about 1 foot separation from walls.

Cheers,
Raghu

In a recent audition, I found the PSB Imagine B and PSB mini hold their ground quite well in LF section. PSB minis may come within your budget.
As said before, they were on stands with space around them in a treated demo room.

Cheers,
Raghu

There are no stand-mount speakers with "great" bass. It is very difficult to get down to lower frequencies with a smaller cabinet, "small-ish" drivers and low cost.
Usually, people add a sub to take over LF duties in combination with active bass management in the amp.

LF performance is a function of the driver/speaker construction and your room. BS/FS can sound acceptable or muddy/boomy depending on placement in the room.
Walls can aid a puny speaker enhance bass, but can play havoc with larger speakers.

If you expect your speakers to perform "perfectly" (as per your ears) without minimal treatment to your room and/or some room correction HW/SW, the options are limited only to placement.

The best method is to use software to understand your room, then suitably treat it. The poor man's way is to get BS and make the most of it.

The KEFs perform best in LF when placed at least 2 feet away from walls on stands. They are horrible when robbed of breathing space.
The BWs are a bit more forgiving, in the sense they require about 1 foot separation from walls.

Cheers,
Raghu

Nice for sharing wonderful explanation.....

BTW I didn't mean great bass need to go 35Hz....

I think Boston Acoustics A26 has great bass ....
Elac B5, B6 too

Last edited:
From what I have tried in my listening room (which is 25 by 15 - too big for a bookshelf), I found Quad 11L to have very solid, tuneful bass in that budget. Not as tight as I would have liked, but not loose or muddy either. I also agree with the suggestion of PSB. I had a home demo of Synchrony One B (or Two B, don't remember exactly). I remember it was deceptively punchy for its size. As stated earlier in the thread, it is not about the lowest frequency produced. And, I am sure the Quad was not going much low either, but for most music you don't need lower than 40-45 Hz. You do certainly need it to be tuneful and fast.

Boston Acoustics A26. Has rear firing ports and can bring down the wall. But check other brands like Wharfdale also. I have A26 and it is overall good, though the mid highs and highs could be better.

Cheers,
Raghu

Which room correction software do you recommend?

Room mode evaluation and correction.

FM sound_cycle (post #2) has done lots of study in this area, as far as I know.
Please reach out to him and he will be able to point you down the correct path.

Cheers,
Raghu

I have just mentioned the name as example, as he try other speakers or as he mentioned DIY in earlier posts

Rajkumars,

It's good to see that you are considering bookshelf speakers. Aside from budget there are many things that BS speakers do well due to their construction. Although bass will not be too deep, you will find that the mids and highs will be very clean. You can use speaker positioning to use room modes in your favor to get good tight bass.

It's also important to use good speaker stands. This also helps improve bass. I would recommend a mass loaded design from a good stand manufacturer (sand filled columns are my recommendation).

Regards.

Rajkumars,

It's good to see that you are considering bookshelf speakers. Aside from budget there are many things that BS speakers do well due to their construction. Although bass will not be too deep, you will find that the mids and highs will be very clean. You can use speaker positioning to use room modes in your favor to get good tight bass.
Good Point....that's the advantage of BS .... We can place it anywhere .... And also no need to move them while cleaning the house

According to me ....for a same size woofer .....the bigger the foam or rubber of the woofer of a BS the better it will move....the better the bass will be.....but it will loose the midrange ..... So designers need to balance it....

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dynaudio Focus 160 is reputed to have great bass.Driving the speakers is a bit difficult due to slightly low sensitivity but select a high current amp to do the job.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back