Booksheld-with-sub or floorstanders? To be partnered with a Yamaha Ax-492 Stereo Amp

TNAWAYAJ

Hi All,
I own a Yamaha AX-492 (2001) with a pair of JBL CM62s. I have been planning a speaker upgrade for a long time. I listen to a lot of rock and heavy metal, and being the bassist in a band, am quite particular that the lower frequencies get the representation they deserve.

I was wondering if I should upgrade to a combo of a pair of bookshelves with a sub. Or maybe a couple of floorstanders, provided they give me enough bass.

My budget is between 25-30k max.

Any suggestions as to what combo works better, for the amp and the budget?

Please also do recommend any specific speaker models and brands, if you can.

Thanks!

Re: Booksheld-with-sub or floorstanders? To be partnered with a Yamaha Ax-492 Stereo

Sorry, just a little info on the Yamaha Ax-492.
-85 W RMS per channel @ 8 Ohms
-No pre-out

Re: Booksheld-with-sub or floorstanders? To be partnered with a Yamaha Ax-492 Stereo

Try the Wharfedale Diamond 250 subwoofer paired with diamond 9.1s.

Wharfedale

It goes down to 30hz I think.

The 9.1s have a midrange resolution to die for and the price is fantastic!!

This combination gives you feasibility to expand to a 5.1 setup.

Cheers

Whoops! No pre-out may restrict the possibility of subwoofer.

Regards

Try the Wharfedale Diamond 250 subwoofer paired with diamond 9.1s.

Wharfedale

It goes down to 30hz I think.

The 9.1s have a midrange resolution to die for and the price is fantastic!!

This combination gives you feasibility to expand to a 5.1 setup.

Cheers

gobble, pardon my ignorance, but if its a stereo amp, how can it be made into a 5.1 set up?

HI TNAWAYAJ,

If ur yamaha ax-492 does not have pre-out to connect a subwoofer. you can also try some passive sub-woofers which has high level input and high level outputs for speakers to connect. or just settle with decent floorstanders.

gobble, pardon my ignorance, but if its a stereo amp, how can it be made into a 5.1 set up?

Gad! :eek: I must be going wonky ponky! :licklips: Thought it was a 5.1 AVR.

Sorry about that!

Cheers

In your budget, try to get a decent floorstander like Diamond 9.6, MA BR5, Jamo S606, Avant 908i etc. All this should give you good enough base. Provided you have the space, go for these.

But if you like standmounts plus sub combo. Try the Diamond 9.1 with SW150. You can use the high level inputs in sub for the connection. From the L and R speaker outputs on the yamaha amp, connect to the L and R speaker inputs on the sub. Use the L and R speaker outputs from the sub to connect to the L and R front speakers.

Standmounts can never match the scale or deapth of a good FL imo. Plus you don't really have to worry about integrating the BS models with the sub. I'm not saying its going to be bad, patience and skill can really make a seamless integration of both. Not to mention the money/effort saved on procuring the 'stands' - without that its going to be a waste of money in the first place. All said and done ymmv.

Cheers.

Rock & Metal don't need a separate sub. A good pair of floor standers should do. This will bring out all the bass riffs and beats out real well.

Read arond for speaker choices.

Hi All,
I own a Yamaha AX-492 (2001) with a pair of JBL CM62s. I have been planning a speaker upgrade for a long time. I listen to a lot of rock and heavy metal, and being the bassist in a band, am quite particular that the lower frequencies get the representation they deserve.

I was wondering if I should upgrade to a combo of a pair of bookshelves with a sub. Or maybe a couple of floorstanders, provided they give me enough bass.

My budget is between 25-30k max.

Any suggestions as to what combo works better, for the amp and the budget?

Please also do recommend any specific speaker models and brands, if you can.

Thanks!

well in floorstanders look for jamo s606(8inch woofer),s708(10inch woofer).if u can afford the diamond 9.6 which has more detail then go for it,also u can look for MS908i.

I think the 906i is good to audition too. I liked it over the 908i.

Cheers

I think the 906i is good to audition too. I liked it over the 908i.

Cheers

i too liked the 906i:) ,mostly because the positioning of 908i is very crucial in order for it to sound good and i dont like the non-tight bass of 908i.
and if u had auditioned in audio planet secondary showroom the placing of the speaker is wrong,the once located behind the BDA complex place the speakers very well and they know quite a lot in audio.

Last edited:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 would serve you well, but might exceed budget by a bit. Still audition them. Very good VFM for a stereo setup without the need for a sub.

Hi Cranky,

Yes, I agree with you. I am not looking for flabby low-end which only makes everything seem muddy and loose, but the kind of bass that adds punch, impact and clarity. But since you mention that getting a pair of uncompromised floorstanders at 30k isn't an option, what would you recommend?

And thanks a tonne everyone for the prompt advice. I think I will look around for a pair of affordable floorstanders. Cheers!

Cranky has already said what I had wanted to say here:)

Bookshelves are not hopeless and floorstanders are not the one-solution-fits-all that they are made out to be. The truth as always is somewhere in between:)

If musicality is of paramount importance, then do give the PSB Image B25 a try. At 25K it is a pretty good speaker. EPOS bookshelves are superb. The ELS8 is a budget offering that sounded pretty nice when I heard them for a few minutes (a very short audition).

The Polk Lsi's have tweeters to die for. So do the Dali's. The Lektor series which is priced cheaper than the Ikon's is also worth checking out.

The Monitor Audio RS1 is a fantastic speaker at its price point - 40K.

If you insist on floorstanders, I regard the Acoustic Energy Neo3 as very competent floorstanders when compared with other offerings at a similar budget.

@TNAWAYAJ,
Just saw that you are in Bangalore.
Which band do you play in ?
I remember Siva of Corrson/ Acoustic portrait having a pair of MS 301s for sale at a throwaway price.
http://www.acousticportrait.com/ms301.html
The issue was the real wood veneer on the cabinet were not matching for both the speakers. These used to sell for 48k plus vat. Will beat most speakers under a lakh. I had upgraded to these from Wharfadales. Have compared them to at least a dozen speakers costing around a lakh. It is in a different league than anything discussed here. Will go down to around 35hz + - 3db. I have a friend who is a rock blues fan using the same. The bass is as tight and punchy as it gets. Very tight tolerance cabinets with one inch thickness and front baffle of 1.5 inch thickness. Drivers are all Vifa and typically used in speakers costing upwards of a lakh.
You could check with Siva if he still has them.
Mention my name Vinny.
[email protected]

Last edited:

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for the help! I'll check out the website. I play bass for Kryptos (www.kryptosindia.com).

Actually, I have also read a lot about the Monitor Audio BR2s. I was wondering if anyone knew where I can get them and how much they typically cost.

Thanks!

Hi,

Hmm Kryptos ! weren't you guys playing for TV9 sometime back ( I mean in that show ) :rolleyes: ?? coz I remember watching it :p!

Now coming to your query, others have all said so much that it leaves me very very less to say !

I say give this corrson a try and see where it fits !! or else you may have to wait for some time and collect enough doe to go for a proper towers !

I also recommend you to take things slowly and not rush into this ! I would also give this Yammy's a second thought,not that they are terrible or anything but I seriously doubt of its current capabilities and to drive most loads effortlessly !

You are most welcome to Drop in for an Audition of my self cooked Towers !! also check more details of the same here in this forum if you are interested (follow my signature )

Regards.

Will beat most speakers under a lakh. I had upgraded to these from Wharfadales. Have compared them to at least a dozen speakers costing around a lakh. It is in a different league than anything discussed here. Will go down to around 35hz + - 3db. I have a friend who is a rock blues fan using the same. The bass is as tight and punchy as it gets. Very tight tolerance cabinets with one inch thickness and front baffle of 1.5 inch thickness. Drivers are all Vifa and typically used in speakers costing upwards of a lakh.

Second that. Heard these speakers at Vinny's sometime back. If only he could tame the bass in his room! We tried Sarah McLachlan and Holly Cole, if i remember correctly. Beautiful sound, nice precision.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back