Bookshelf speakers around 25k for Marantz PM7001

jai1611

Folks,

I'm looking for a pair of speakers for my Marantz PM7001. These are for a mid sized room (200 sq ft) and are to be placed on top of a pair of Mordaunt Short 908 towers (which I dislike for music but my wife loves). Would this create problems and affect the bookshelves performance?

I listen to a wide range of music but am particularly looking for something that is good with rock, jazz and instrumental (e.g. Dark Knight, Gladiator OST).

The brands I've shortlisted for auditions are:
PSB B25
Wharfedale 9.2
Quad 11L
Monitor Audio BR2
Tannoy FI (if I can find them)
Canton

Speakers I've already heard and rejected are: Polk RTI A3, Kef IQ10, Energy C3 and MS Mezzo 2. I also heard the Dali Ikon 1 and though it lacked presence for a mid sized room. Are there any other speakers available in Mumbai around the Rs.25k mark or less which I should add to the list?

Thanks
Jaibir

It't not a wise plan to keep a BS on top of a FS, IMO, it's not going to do good for SQ of the BS. Having said that, why not stand-mount them besides the 908?

From the list of speakers, I would plump for (from what I heard) -

MA BR2 or Diamond 9.2

I've tried stacking speakers on top of another - they sound bad.

Better place them on spikes resting on a very sturdy surface.

Cheers

In my expereince, Tannoy's are good all rounder and Value-for-money speakers. So do not miss to audition Tannoy's before you make a decision. All the best!!!

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Folks,

I'm looking for a pair of speakers for my Marantz PM7001. These are for a mid sized room (200 sq ft) and are to be placed on top of a pair of Mordaunt Short 908 towers (which I dislike for music but my wife loves). Would this create problems and affect the bookshelves performance?

Your bookshelves should be fine on top of the towers. I guess you have space issues.

In case you feel they need to be held securely, use a good quality* double sided tape (like 3M) on the base on the BS.

*these tapes hold firmly, but come off (rolled off easily) without any residue or damage to the polished surfaces. Use only for the corners, as otherwise it will be difficult to detach later on.

Good luck for your purchasing!

Last edited:
I would like to agree with Vinod regarding the placement. Not only will it make the speakers uncomfortably above your ideal listening position, it might not be the safest way to do so.

Apart from Quad 11L and BR2 from your list, you might want to audition these as well -

a) Usher S-520 (its the only Usher i've heard and its beautiful)
b) Kef IQ3
c) Diamond 9.1 (I think this one is better than 9.2 for music - strictly imo!)

Happy auditions.

my pick would be the PSB B25 and the Quads
both go excellent with the electronics you chose

Hi,

If you are looking for a 2.0 setup i think the 9.2s are a good choice.Bigger sound stage and better bass than 9.1's. Since your budget is upto 25k i think you should audition PSB B25 too.

cheers
ash

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Unfortunately, I dont have space to put the speakers on a stand separately so will have to go with placing them on top of the towers. Will try and put a layer of isolation between the two - possibly damping material + spikes. Suggestions on this would be most welcome.

Will audition the 9.1's along with the 9.2's. The first time I'd heard them was in a rather large room, where they felt lost.

Where can I audition the Usher speakers in Mumbai?

The Kef IQ3 has apparently been discontinued and the replacement isnt available yet. The distributor doesnt have any old stock left and says that as far as he knows none of the dealers in Mumbai have it either.

Will audition the 9.1's along with the 9.2's. The first time I'd heard them was in a rather large room, where they felt lost.

Where can I audition the Usher speakers in Mumbai?

The diamonds are not the greatest out there, so buy them only after auditioning the Ushers :)

cheers

Folks,

I'm looking for a pair of speakers for my Marantz PM7001.
The brands I've shortlisted for auditions are:
PSB B25
Wharfedale 9.2
Quad 11L
Monitor Audio BR2
Tannoy FI (if I can find them)
Canton
Thanks
Jaibir

I can assure,you will like Tannot F1 as I heard 7001 with F4 & sounded sweat,cleanner & just as stereo shld play.

Haven't heard the Usher. The Diamond 9.1 has a fantastic mid-range (especially with classical) and very fine treble for its price. Add the Wharfedale Sub SW150, I think, for low bass extension.

Quad 11L2 would be my take (and thats why I took 'em :eek:hyeah: )

Monitor Audio Silvers and Ushers are the ones that come close.

Rest all have something or the other missing (or more prominent than what is comfortable to ears).

Last edited:
I have somehow felt very comfortable with the Marantz-PSB pairing and thought that this pairing works better than the NAD-PSB combo. Mileage may vary. But do pair these speakers with the Marantz and see how you like it.

This is a speaker with punch, presence, detail and delicacy. I personally felt that there could be the minutest improvement with respect to male vocal timbre reproduction, but at 25K I dont see too many competitors for this speaker.

Plus this is a pretty large bookshelf and you probably wont feel the need for a subwoofer - unless you are into some really hard hitting music.

Please take this with the fact that I have not heard the Ushers. I am hearing so much about the Ushers that I really have to go listen to them as soon as possible.:)

I second Gobbles views that Ushers S520 are really good speakers, shud defi audition those before considering anythg else

MS Silvers are way above 25k price MS Br2 wud be the one within the range

I've done quite a few auditions over the past two weeks. Here are my impressions:

PSB B25: It seems to have the presence of a floorstander. However, paired with the Marantz, the bass came across as a little overbearing and the treble a little bright (as if someone had switched on a "loudness" button). Whilst impressive at first instance, the speaker soon became fatiguing. Rejected.

PSB B15: A better speaker than its big brother. More detail. Less bass but a more balanced sound signature overall. Reminded me of the Kef IQ10 but with more character. Made it to the "B" list.

Quad 12L: Much better speaker than the others in the lot. Clean and balanced sound with loads of detail. However, the mids came across as a bit recessed. First I thought it was the room, but the MA's didnt have the same problem in the same setting so guess its a speaker trait.

Monitor Audio BR2: Good speaker but sounded a bit too bright with the Marantz. Otherwise in the same league as the PSB B25 but with more controlled bass and a bit more detail.

Quad 11L: Smaller version of the 12L. Same cleanliness and detail as the 12L but overall less presence. Mid range was a little less recessed. Overall, a little small for the room I have in mind.

Wharfedale 10.2: Nice sounding mids and highs but a leaky bass line spoiled the entire effect. Maybe good for movies. The bass leakage despite being 3' away from the wall.

Dynaudio Audience 52: The best speaker of the day by a country mile. The most detail of any of them. Clean, balanced sound. Nice imaging. Sounded so good that I didnt want to change tracks on the test CD. Out of my price range despite a decent discount on offer.

Had also heard an old model Paradigm demo piece. Dont know the model number. Mid way between the Quads and the Dynaudio.

Overall, the Dynaudio's beat everything else I heard hollow. I'll look around for a couple of used options. If I cant find any, will spring for these. Hope to decide by this weekend.

hey jai, could you also tell us the prices you were quoted, since I am also on a similar quest with a slightly smaller (20k ) budget.

Do listen to the Epos ELS8 as well, I quite liked it especially for rock music. Not the last word in detail, but an enjoyable speaker that will pair well with most equipment.

I've done quite a few auditions over the past two weeks. Here are my impressions:

PSB B25: It seems to have the presence of a floorstander. However, paired with the Marantz, the bass came across as a little overbearing and the treble a little bright (as if someone had switched on a "loudness" button). Whilst impressive at first instance, the speaker soon became fatiguing. Rejected.

PSB B15: A better speaker than its big brother. More detail. Less bass but a more balanced sound signature overall. Reminded me of the Kef IQ10 but with more character. Made it to the "B" list.

Quad 12L: Much better speaker than the others in the lot. Clean and balanced sound with loads of detail. However, the mids came across as a bit recessed. First I thought it was the room, but the MA's didnt have the same problem in the same setting so guess its a speaker trait.

Monitor Audio BR2: Good speaker but sounded a bit too bright with the Marantz. Otherwise in the same league as the PSB B25 but with more controlled bass and a bit more detail.

Quad 11L: Smaller version of the 12L. Same cleanliness and detail as the 12L but overall less presence. Mid range was a little less recessed. Overall, a little small for the room I have in mind.

Wharfedale 10.2: Nice sounding mids and highs but a leaky bass line spoiled the entire effect. Maybe good for movies. The bass leakage despite being 3' away from the wall.

Dynaudio Audience 52: The best speaker of the day by a country mile. The most detail of any of them. Clean, balanced sound. Nice imaging. Sounded so good that I didnt want to change tracks on the test CD. Out of my price range despite a decent discount on offer.

Had also heard an old model Paradigm demo piece. Dont know the model number. Mid way between the Quads and the Dynaudio.

Overall, the Dynaudio's beat everything else I heard hollow. I'll look around for a couple of used options. If I cant find any, will spring for these. Hope to decide by this weekend.

Jai could you tell us the model no's of the AMP & CDPs used

I carried my own amp for all the demos (PM7001). The CD player for the PSB demos was a NAD, for the Quad 12L and MA BR2 a Moon Audo and for the Quad 1L/Wharf 10.2/Dynaudio a Cambridge Audio

hey jai, could you also tell us the prices you were quoted, since I am also on a similar quest with a slightly smaller (20k ) budget.

Do listen to the Epos ELS8 as well, I quite liked it especially for rock music. Not the last word in detail, but an enjoyable speaker that will pair well with most equipment.

I didnt enquire the discounted prices for any of the speakers. Just asked the list price.
The PSB's were 26k and 21k, for the Quads the quote was for the L2 version list (31k and 38k) - actual would be much lower. Dynaudio list was 53k.

Also heard some Canton speakers at the Shop. He's trying to clear stock and can be bargained down a lot. He offered a 'Karat' series bookshelf with a sidefiring woofer to me for 40k (started at 50 and kept coming down himself). Its a good speaker - for something with a sidefiring woofer, the bass was well controlled and balanced.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back