Bookshelf speakers + Sub + Amp Advice

damyan66

Hi all! This is my first post and I wanted to get some help on what you think I should spend my money on.

I currently have the Logitechs Z2300, 2.1 system with a fairly good 120W 8 inch subwoofer and 40W satellites, but I want to upgrade this setup.

I've been looking at some bookshelf speakers and subwoofers that I could potentially get. I have a budget of around 500 and have found these two pairs speakers:
Wharfedale 220 ~ 190 a pair
KEF Q300 ~ can get a pair for 250

I was hoping to get some opinions on which one of these two speakers are better in terms of the overall performance, clarity, bass etc. I also don't mind any new suggestions, as long as the speakers don't cost over ~ 250 a pair.

In addition to the bookshelf speakers, I want to hook up a decent subwoofer (10" or 12"?) to the setup and I've been keen on the BIC PL-200, but it isn't available in the UK so had to look for a different brand. I really like the SVS PB1000 but I do understand that it is out of my budget, so I would love to get some opinion on a subwoofer that would be a nice upgrade from the one in the Logitech Z2300.

For the amp, I'm not exactly sure how I would connect the subwoofer, as some amps only have connections for the speakers, so any help is appreciated. I'm also not too sure what amp to get to power the speakers mentioned above and how I can connect all of this to my computer.

I mostly listen to house and deep house, but also like EDM, dance, rap and maybe a bit of pop music from my computer, so you can say that I like quite a bit of low down bass :D. Also, my room is really quite small - 4x3m.

Please be aware that I am no audiophile but I do enjoy listening to high quality music, so if you could give me any suggestions for my setup, I would be very appreciative! :)

THANKS A LOT!

Welcome to the forum.
KEF Q is decent.
You are in the UK. Why limit yourself to 2 brands.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi

In UK there are quite a number of brands that do well....Quads, Wharfedale.etc.....take your time, audition systems with your kind of music.....check your budget and preferences...and make a wise decision......

In UK check these stores
Richer Sounds
Sevenoaks
AV home direct
They are brick and mortar stores with an online presence.

Among them they carry a good number of brands; and they are always having a sale or getting rid of demo units.
Buy a good pair of stereo speakers even if you have to eat into the SW budget.
When funds become available in the future, add a sub for a 2.1 system.

Cheers,
Raghu

I second Raghu's suggestion..Richer Sounds and Seven Oaks have a lot of demo stocks available at throwaway prices....KEF, Quad, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, Epos, Q Acoustics are some of the speaker brands...Do check them out...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back