Bookshelfs+Sub Vs Towers+Sub ... my personal observation for movies

center speaker for HT setup
well ... right now im using 12" FR driver as my center channel.
It costs only Rs2500 :p:p But sounds crazily good @ its price :D:D;) particularly the vocals are really nice and clear.
It may have its drawbacks, but In some areas, it is even better than regular center channels in the price range of 15 to 20k
I don't even know how to upgrade it now... :rolleyes:

(center speaker for HT setup is little off the topic for this thread any way.... )

It costs only Rs2500 :p:p But sounds crazily good @ its price :D:D;) particularly the vocals are really nice and clear.
It may have its drawbacks, but In some areas, it is even better than regular center channels in the price range of 15 to 20k

(center speaker for HT setup is little off the topic for this thread any way.... )

Good you are enjoying the experience......sometimes the Upgrade bug does bite...

I quoted about the center speaker as an example for clarity, crisp dialogue etc which we all want to hear in all kinds of speakers except the sub....so a 3 way config is much better.,...that too if we get the same in a BS.

Slightly OT though.. Since you are very good with speaker prototypes & executing them, you should consider a baffle wall to integrate the L-C-R and dual subwoofers to your front wall.. Space saving & you can go acoustically transparent screen too ;)..

Probably a wooden structure like this, 1 ~ 2 feet from your front wall, like this should be good to integrate all the FR speakers and bigger subwoofer drivers.. Totally space saving..

4099758862_8f5d2a3759.jpg

Slightly OT though.. Since you are very good with speaker prototypes & executing them, you should consider a baffle wall to integrate the L-C-R and dual subwoofers to your front wall.. Space saving & you can go acoustically transparent screen too ;)..

Probably a wooden structure like this, 1 ~ 2 feet from your front wall, like this should be good to integrate all the FR speakers and bigger subwoofer drivers.. Totally space saving..

4099758862_8f5d2a3759.jpg
Sooner or later...I may definitely do a baffle wall. Atleast, I may hide the centre, left and right behind the screen for sure.

Before that, I'm in the process of figuring out how to design shallow depth on wall kind of speakers. Once I crack that puzzle, I'm all set to go. We shifted the topic finally ...LOL :p:p:D:D

Sooner or later...I may definitely do a baffle wall. Atleast, I may hide the centre, left and right behind the screen for sure.

Before that, I'm in the process of figuring out how to design shallow depth on wall kind of speakers. Once I crack that puzzle, I'm all set to go.

Ok great..

We shifted the topic finally ...LOL :p:p:D:D

:p

Comparison between same make(company) of towers and Bookshelf with similar size of woofers should be considered and then tower can be offering more and probably the winner.
Say if we compare 5.5in woofer based 2 way BS with that of towers,then tower can offer better headroom and db level.At the same time 5.5 inch driver based towers may lack deep bass as most of them will have lowend upto 40hz max.lf we compare 6.5in or bigger driver based speakers,then towers can go as low as 33hz and one may not miss SW.
Comparison between 6.5/8 in woofer based BS with 5.5in based towers will have opposite results.
So it depends on which make of speakers we compare with.
Sometimes it is more than the driver and the crossover components that affect the sound quality when it comes to other frequencies than the Bass alone. For example, a HiVi 4 inch speaker produces more sounds than a Micca 4 inch speaker. Similarly, I have both Taga and Boston, I feel Boston is able to produce more sounds than the Taga's. This might be because of the driver quality and the crossover components installed inside it.

I have used both types but now I prefer floorstanders over bookshelves for both movies and music.

One thing to note, if you use BS with stands then you are wasting space, get FS instead. BS wall mounted though might work especially for WAF.

Sometimes it is more than the driver and the crossover components that affect the sound quality when it comes to other frequencies than the Bass alone. For example, a HiVi 4 inch speaker produces more sounds than a Micca 4 inch speaker. Similarly, I have both Taga and Boston, I feel Boston is able to produce more sounds than the Taga's. This might be because of the driver quality and the crossover components installed inside it.
Thats why l said same make or company.Else comparison wont be at same level.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back