Bookshelves in the 1L to 1.5L range - please advice

Thanks. But will speakers like Harbeth, Rethm be satisfied with the little Rega Brio? I am not sure I can afford to upgrade the amp as well.

Last edited:
Harbeth probably, its not particularly fussy, but still may not be optimum performance. But you can always run them like the R300 till the time you can upgrade the amp.

The Rethms, no way I'd think.

You should be able to try Rega with Harbeth to be confident. As per Alan Shah (Harbeth Designer) Harbeth should work well with any amp with decent power, you can check Harbeth Usergroup for more information on comments on the same. I assume Rega would be good enough.

I am using Unison Research Unico (65W) with my Harbeth P3-ES2 and never find a reason to upgrade.

The Rega Brio might just work with the Rethms. The amp design is based from the 60s and is a bit valve like sounding. So could work. Which is why I suggested the Trishna

The Trishna IMO will hands down beat any speaker suggested in this thread

Eddie, sorry I addressed you as kvm in my earlier post. My apologies

Last edited:
+1 for KEFs

I just upgraded my setup and moved to KEF R100's. I was debating between R100 and R300 and decided to keep the money as I have a decent sub that can do the heavy lifting at the bottom end. I auditioned both at home and with the sub on, i really did not see much difference.Mids and highs sounded almost the same between the R100 and R300. So don't overlook those little guys :)

I also auditioned the B&W 685 S2 and they are great too. I loved their mids and lows but the highs were a little too bright for my tastes. But it is a very strong candidate if you ask me and you should audition them before making a decision. Also B&Ws are regarded more for music than for movies.

Also, Bi-amping did a world of good for my Kef's as they seem to enjoy extra power.

Happy hunting!

Rainmaker reminds me of the Totem Rainmakers - please try and audition this one.

They are supposed to be really nice at what they do.

Food for thought for the day !! :lol:

regards

my favorites in the said budget - bookshelves
ATC SCM 11
Morel octave signature ( the octave 6 may just be a tad out of budget but its a really nic speaker too )
PMC Db1 gold
Im not sure but i think you might get a Canton too at this budget

Thanks for the suggestions Magma. I am not sure if I can audition these in Bangalore. But, I may be travelling to Mumbai soon and I think I will try and do some demos there.

Quadral speakers with Ribbon tweeter model would be very nice. Dali Icon 6 also very nice and high end sound quality. Try these before the final decision.
Cheers.

its best to lug the amp along if you intend to keep the amp with you for longer.

so it may be better to restrict options to bangalore side as you could then take the amp with you.

Best will be a home audition of speakers and maybe the dealer can be convinced.

At the what hifi show i was very impressed with the Acoustic Energy 2 way standmount - the Classic AE1.

Please try to audition this at Reference Point in bangalore - tale your amp with you.
AE1 Classic Acoustic Energy

The price falls in your budget and i have a feeling it will go very well with a TT as a source like you have...

Check this speaker out ...

regards

Eddie,

I had the opportunity to listen to Harbeth C7ES-3 with Rega Elex-R at a fellow FMs place. The combo was seriously very very good.
I personally felt this pairing could be one that will last many years before upgrade bug hits.
Since you have Rega Brio-R, the baby Harbeth P3ESR should be in your radar, budget permitting.
Try a dealer demo room audition or reach out to local P3ESR owners and listen to them with your amp.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the tips, suggestions and recommendations.

Update:

Following up, I tried to listen to a few speakers, lugging along my dear compact Rega Brio amp and my dear wife for the WAF. Some of the auditions:

1. ProFX - Auditioning first the R300 and LS50s, we went to ProFX and found the speakers all crammed next to each other in a row, not the most ideal setup. The LS50s also looked damaged, with a small ding on the cone, and was confirmed so by the dealer but he claimed it didn't affect the sound, not sure though. the R300s were fresh
out of the box. Source was a basic denon TT andfitted cart.
LS50 - Sounded crystal clear and transparent, bordering on harshness. Lacked the warmth and the lower ends we were looking for.

R300 - Brilliant inaging and detail, also had much more oomph and depth in bass department but without compromising on the details. We prefered them over the LS50s and the Rega found them much easier to drive too. A very good match, I'd say, except for the worrying factor of fatigue, as they did show signs of being a little tiring on our ears after 30 mins

2.. ARN systems - Disappointing experience with the guy who was supposed to meet me and show me the stuff missing, instead I was met with by a nice man, but with very little idea of anything; products, equipment, connections. I had to help him connect and after a lot of dilly-dallying listened to the Contrast Audio Model One As3-Ref with my Rega amp and the Line Magnetic LM-210 IA.

With Rega it was surprisingly lacking in drive and dynamics (as they are supposedly high sensitivity speakers). They are nice and refined speakers with a smooth signature, but not a good match with the Rega

With LM: The contrasts came alive, with much better imaging and detail, whilst still retaining the smooth flowy texture. unfortunately, the guy at ARN couldn't change sources, so I didnt hear any of my vinyls I carries. Had to listen to some nice
recordings of Norah Jones on cd. It sounded good.

3. Audio Planet - We met Mr. Palani, who very smartly and subtly veered us away from BSs to the FSs he had to sell. We slowly bought in and ended up listening to Some B&Ws, Dali Zensor 7 and Triangle Elara LN-07. Strongly guided by Palani, we soon dismissed the other 2 as being too mellow and dull, and concentrated on the triangles.
These sounded brilliant, with very transparent and vivid mids and crystal clear treble. The bass was tight and hit the gut, not at all boomy. Drum section sounded ultra real. It paired well with the Rega amp, but there was, again, the slightly worrying brightness, which affected the speakers.

4. There is a very good offer from Jochen (The Listening Room) on the Blumenhofer genuin FS 5 and I am interested in the Rethm Maarga and Harbeths up for sale in the forum too, but can the Rega do justice to these beauties is the question.

Now, I am beginning to worry if the amp is what needs a change first, more than the speakers. The Line Magnetic integrated tube amp sounded so inviting that I am seriously considering including the tubes at the cost of my Rega, however much it pains me, as I have gotten to love it. So, the search has already become a monster with me considering both amp and speaker upgrade, much to the annoyance of my wife. Well, I have to decide... tough choices ahead...

Do not buy a Rethm blind. Try and hear one. Rethm and Harbetth are very different sounding speakers.

I've not heard the Rethms, but I've heard the Harbeth Super HL5 plus and love them. Probably the best in class if they were not so damn over priced.

You'll need to up your budget though if you even want to remotely consider them. That will also begin the cycle of amp and DAC upgrade... so basically quadruple your budget over the next 2 years.

I've not heard the Rethms, but I've heard the Harbeth Super HL5 plus and love them. Probably the best in class if they were not so damn over priced.

You'll need to up your budget though if you even want to remotely consider them. That will also begin the cycle of amp and DAC upgrade... so basically quadruple your budget over the next 2 years.

Thanks for that. I will make sure my wife doesn't read this comment :D

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back