Bookshelves with sub need advice

Hi,

In the spec of Heco Victa Prime 702 was mentioned it can be driven by 4-8ohms receiver, whereas in the review from above link says

" The impedance range is 4-8 ohms, perhaps suggestive of the fact that a well designed amplifier stable into 4 ohm loads should be considered to drive these."

This means, i wont get the good sound quality while driving it from my onkyo TX-NR828.

130Watts/Channel @ 8ohms (FTC)
180Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (IEC)
215Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (JEITA)

Onkyo TX-NR828 A/V Receiver Test Bench | Sound & Vision
Please see above review of your receiver. Though not specified it can drive 4 ohms load with good deal of output power. It should be able to handle the 702 comfortably. How it will sound, I have no idea because I have not heard this unit.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I agree, in the spec of onkyo TX-NR828 nowhere it is mentioned it can drive 4 ohms speakers, but in the spec of heco victa prime 702 was mentioned as it can driven by 4-8 ohms receiver.

Do I really need the amplifier here. ?

I found these(attached) speakers settings in the reveiver. I also spoke with the onkyo technician, he said 180w/ch (IEC) is enough to drive to those speakers. Need clarification on this.

Also please explain about FTC, IEC & JEITA.

Attachments

• Onkyo speaker Setup.jpg
    Onkyo speaker Setup.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 122
I agree, in the spec of onkyo TX-NR828 nowhere it is mentioned it can drive 4 ohms speakers, but in the spec of heco victa prime 702 was mentioned as it can driven by 4-8 ohms receiver.

Do I really need the amplifier here. ?

I found these(attached) speakers settings in the reveiver. I also spoke with the onkyo technician, he said 180w/ch (IEC) is enough to drive to those speakers. Need clarification on this.

Also please explain about FTC, IEC & JEITA.

My understanding of the below statement is:
"702 was mentioned as it can driven by 4-8 ohms receiver"
That even the amplifier in a receiver can drive these speakers provided it is rated to 4 ohms load. That being said many times the amplifier in a receiver does not sound as good as an integrated amplifier or separate stereo amplifier. Why is that? I won't get into it here, there are a lot of threads, discussions on that topic - you can read them. So you may be better off getting an integrated or stereo amp. if you buy these speakers for listening to 2 channel music, but your receiver will certainly drive these speakers with absolutely no issue.
FTC amplifier rating - Federal Trade Comission is a govt. body in US that requires all amplifiers sold in US to be measured in a common defined and truthful manner. JEITA is Japanese Electronic Industries Trade Association - maybe formed by the manufacturers.
Anyways all these do not matter, in the link I have provided your amplifier has been measured into 4 ohm load - by a respected publication - so there will be no problem in using the 702's.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
FTC is US standards,IEC is International and JEITA is Japanese. Don't worry about these standards unless you want some deep technical stuff.
You amp will drive the Heco's. See if you can hear them first. Unless you have a return policy with the seller.
I have made the mistake myself of impulse buying and now barely use the Yamaha 8930 pair anymore.

Thankyou for all your suggestions.

Does anyone owns Heco Victa prime 702 in chennai, can you help me in audition with those speakers, got a good deal from hyd dealer.

Hi,

I found this information from my onkyo manual.

?Speaker Connection Precautions You can connect speakers with an impedance of between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure to set the minimum speaker impedance to 4ohms (?page63). If you use speakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit may be activated.

So this means I can able to run those speakers in 4ohms , which can produce the same sound quality as it does with many other 4-ohms receiver.

If you get a good pair of Floor Standers you can skip on the Sub if Music is your usage. Sub comes into the picture only if you are getting into Movies.

I have a pair of Elac B6. When listening to Music, I switch off my Sub and switch the speakers to full range. Sounds awesome.

MaSh

+1 on this Mash

I completely agree on this!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back