Bose Lifestyle 650 reviews

sunster

Hi. I am seriously contemplating the Bose Lifestyle 650 which will replace my existing Atmos setup with Paradigm speakers and Denon avr (x2200w). Its more for cleaner aesthetics and to allow a bigger tv to be installed. Any thoughts?

Hi. I am seriously contemplating the Bose Lifestyle 650 which will replace my existing Atmos setup with Paradigm speakers and Denon avr (x2200w). Its more for cleaner aesthetics and to allow a bigger tv to be installed. Any thoughts?

If you are looking to have / continue the Atmos setup and want to put in a bigger TV, why not then replace the existing speakers to something which will work for cleaner aesthetics?

hmm ok but i need slim fronts with a max width of 4 inches
Take a look at the Monitor Audio Radius series.
Here is my take on the Radius 45.
Cheers,
Raghu

hmm ok but i need slim fronts with a max width of 4 inches

When you consider 4" for speaker width, the driver could be 3". You may not get good mid bass from that.
5.5" or 6.5 or 7" drivers recommended for towers.

When you shift to slim model for aesthetics, you may lose out on audio quality.
This is a general statement. Doesn't mean that higher driver means better quality. But typically 6.5" driver towers produce better output than 3" driver towers.

There are quite a few speakers you can look at. Please do listen. They are all very well reviewed.
Monitor Audio
Elac Cinema 10 (or Cinema 5)
Morel
NHT

You will find more on further research.

Sound wise of course my existing system sounds better
Here are some pics of the av wall

Attachments

• 20190605_174308.jpg
    20190605_174308.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-20180611-WA0072.jpg
    IMG-20180611-WA0072.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 46
We, the AV Enthuciasists always stay away from BOSE:D
so no comments.
I had a pair of Bose 301's for more than 23 year's. They still sound as good as ever.

It's just a preconceived notion that Bose product's are not good. In fact, for a modern home, they are perfect. Great looks, and decent sound quality.

I presume the "we" in the above statement are the true audiophile's.

Enthusiast's don't criticise products that have been in production for more than our lifespans.

We, the AV enthusiasts (or what ever name the people who knows it all calls us) still prefer to stay away from bose. simple.
Not necessarily the case - I consider myself an AV enthusiast and do use a pair of 301s

I had a pair of Bose 301's for more than 23 year's. They still sound as good as ever.

It's just a preconceived notion that Bose product's are not good. In fact, for a modern home, they are perfect. Great looks, and decent sound quality.

I presume the "we" in the above statement are the true audiophile's.

Enthusiast's don't criticise products that have been in production for more than our lifespans.
Couldn't agree more - While most Bose products are priced at a premium, there are certain parameters on which they win over discretes easily
Since the OPs question was on the Lifestyle 650, I have watched a couple of movies on a colleague's 650 setup and I have to say they were not bad at all.
Especially the center speakers were fantastic with super crisp vocals.

Is it overpriced for what it's worth - Guess it depends on what you value.
My colleague lives in Mumbai (i.e. a smaller living area) , has limited time to audition and select discrete components and is not inclined to spend days setting it up right
Nonetheless, he wanted good sound and the 650s deliver on that.
He could have potentially saved some money by picking discretes that would have yielded comparable sound but it would have been very difficult to get the same level of ease-of-setup and the space savings the 650 yielded.

Guys no point dissing a brand or each other here.
People come here on the forum for advice on this or that.
Keep it civil.

Bose is a great solution for many people and homes.
But the OP wants more than 5.1 so let's suggest options that may work for him.

Disclosure:
I have owned Bose bookshelves. Served me quite well in my HT years ago.
Their Lifestyle series broke new ground in audio for movie/TV watching at home.
The only real option back then was the super expensive BeO products.

Cheers,
Raghu

Well in the end, a setup has to be an experience, it's got to be a complete package. Sound quality is just one of the parameters. I would love to have 18 inch full range drivers in a cupboard sized speaker box in my living room. Wouldn't that sound fantastic? Can I have it, hell no. Requirements, inputs, looks, ease of use, sound quality all together as a system make a good setup. That's where Bose excels and that's what they charge for. Which other all in one unit comes close to what Bose offers?

Again Sound quality on its own is not every thing. If you have auditioned the Bose setup and liked it, go for it. You save on so much time and effort compared to hunting down on individual components, most of which you might not even be able to audition.

MaSh

Hmm Mash I see the point. My only fear is experiencing a downgrade in sound which I am unable to check since I don't have an opportunity to audition my system vi's a vi's the bose side by side. Also in India they don't have the facility to buy the Bose on trial and return. So...

Hmm Mash I see the point. My only fear is experiencing a downgrade in sound which I am unable to check since I don't have an opportunity to audition my system vi's a vi's the bose side by side. Also in India they don't have the facility to buy the Bose on trial and return. So...
@sunster
How big is the new TV gonna be?
Will there be 4-6" free space on the sides?
Do you like your center and sub?
Would you consider replacing the AVR with say a slimline series from Marantz?
These are the questions looping thru your mind.

MA has 2 series - Mass, Radius
- FM @drkrack can fill you in on Mass
- I can say Radius 45 was a pleasant surprise with Sub (good for movies, can deliver for music too)
Then there are Morel/ELAC/NHT as suggested by @Naturelover
Cambridge audio also Minx

Check some of these out, at showroom or local FMs who may be willing to give you a listen.
You should get an idea of what they can bring to the game.
If these doesn't work out, Bose is always an option.
You may not get what you have, but keep your options and ears open for objective listening.

Cheers,
Raghu

Upgrade or not depends on what each setup does as a whole to you. Does Bose do all that you need in your setup? Does it fill the gaps of current setup as well as doing 95% of what the current setup does? These are some of the things I look into when upgrading.

MaSh

Look at Def Tech Pro cinema too.
Dali Fazon at 5.5 inches wide is another option if it will fit.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back