"bose or no bose" is the question

Bose has its equally strong fan following, due to their fantastic marketing much like apple. Many a times people also like what they find in Bose as solutions, sound being most of the times a secondary consideration so for those the brand value and form factor are of paramount importance.
Suggest the OP to listen to all possibilities available in the market & then decide what he likes best.

One of my friend purchased Bose lifestyle system for about 3.00 lakhs and misconceptions that nothing can sound like Bose. He is very much surprised that how such a small speakers make big sound. Tag of Bose name also do magic...

Total sale of all high end equipment of all brands put together is probably less than the sale of BOSE. So obviously they are doing something right :)

Even though I have fancy equipment at my place, my children only listen to BOSE

One of my friend purchased Bose lifestyle system for about 3.00 lakhs and misconceptions that nothing can sound like Bose. He is very much surprised that how such a small speakers make big sound. Tag of Bose name also do magic...
Bose is good no doubt but when you want to build a HT in a dedicated room and expect a cinema theater like experience i dont think it is the right package. In my opinion it is more of a life style product and that is why a lot of audiphiles who invest in lakhs and can afford bose stay away.

have budget of 1-3 L.

I was wondering maybe I can find a middle ground with Bose Acoustimass 10 speakers at 95k and slap an AVR of around Rs 50k on it. What do you guys suggest? Are there non bose speakers that are small but still powerful and not as expensive? Please opine.

The room is roughly 20ftx20ft and listening distance is around 15ft from TV. Only for AVR and speakers because it will be mostly netflix/amazon via fire tv stick and some movies in USB. Mostly for movies, rarely for music. Dolby Atmos would be a nice have to make it future proof.

For a maximum budget of 3 Lacs, you may consider a 7.2.4 Atmos / Dts X set-up for your room size..

Sound Pressure Level (SPL) is what matters at your listening position.. So choose a speaker that has shallow depth & preferably wall mounted so it is not obstructive in size..

Since your room is large 20 x 20 ft, a 5 (or) 7 channel power amplifier would be a good addition for speakers that would be farther away from your listening position..

Total sale of all high end equipment of all brands put together is probably less than the sale of BOSE. So obviously they are doing something right :)

Its a small and compact package and easy to install in any type of rooms compared to the other high end equipment. When you have a dedicated room and want to set up aHT and want an Imax like experience that is when you will know what Bose misses out on.

I use BOSE headphones, they sound nice & well built. For HT & Music use a strict NO.

I'd say Bose is really good in some things like home theatre with really small speakers.
Depends on what you are looking for.
I've heard Bose HT setup in a basement home theatre and in a large high vaulted room.
Both sounded very good. The tiny speakers were not sounding out of their depth at all even in the large room.

Do you have space for Bookshelves/Floorstanders ? if yes you can go with a wharfedale/misssion etc package. but if not go for Bose AM 10/15 with separate AVR which can take several inputs. Bose receivers at least in the past were not Dolby DTS compliant ie could not decode that.

Audiophiles love to hate Bose..so its not as bad as people say it is although it has compromises. It also acts a good brand to have in your living room and performs well.

When the Bose Lifestyle V48 system was launched and I auditioned the same in the special demo room at Crossroads (near Heera Panna Shopping Arcade) I was indeed blown away with the way the Bose Jewel cubes could articulate detailed sound for music and movies......it was simply awesome...

I had a craze then to get these Jewel cubes in my life and kept pestering Bose for a speaker system like Acoustimass 15/16 to be paired with a decent AVR. It never happened. Later then the V35 was launched where Bose designed a media hub system to connect all sources....still the cubes got amplified from the powered sub (PS 48).

Still I wanted to fulfill my craze of owning these cubes and so got 5 Jewel cubes from a seller in Bangalore where I asked a friend to get it to Mumbai...this happened about 2.5 years back......by itself when hooked to the AVR....the cubes sound ridiculous.....as these cubes are dependent on the powered bose subwoofer which houses the crossover and amp for them.,...audyssey tried to compensate but it was not that good.

I got a close college buddy who is well qualified in electronics and does Bose repairs....he gave me the tech specs to make a passive external crossover and it worked like a charm.....I used them for 4 months then eventually sold them and got my invested money back!

The cubes performed between 270hz to 16khz and sub performed between 29hz to 200hz....obviously some gap in certain frequencies across the spectrum.

Bottomline someone wants this experience of small Jewel cubes and powered sub at a good value cost....buy Telome....I have heard them and they are much more capable than the Jewel cubes and will work well as a compact Bedroom setup paired with a NR series Marantz AVR...

Telomes are designed to work and survive our Indian weather and hence good value and performance.....

https://www.ooberpad.com/products/telome-pro-15ax-home-theatre-system

I use Bose 301s Series III which are almost 18 yrs+ old and they do a very good job for music which is priority one for me...movies still sound great...not missing anything.....I have Bose 201s Series V as rear speakers which I have tweaked (Tweeter filters) to provide more crisper Highs....This setup is hooked to SR Marantz AVR and BIC America sub......the combination is awesome....Audyssey is kept on FLAT......

Somehow the new Bose speakers being sold over the last 5 years or so are not that happening in my opinion and experience of using their stuff over the last decade or so,,,

I thought this gap was filled out a decade ago. the Acoustimass series 2 had that problem. anyway I use the AM3 as fronts and VCS10 as a center and that has worked very well for me on HT.. although HT is not really my cup of tea !

Reason is marketing strategy and convenience not sound.
Actually, reason is everything other than sound..

No brand can sustain so long by doling out bad sound, irrespective of the marketing they indulge in. So please audition Bose without any preconceptions, and you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Okay, so today I visited ProFX opposite to VR Mall and got a demo for KEF T Series. They sounded pretty fine and wifey approves their slim footprint but I have never heard of this brand before. Any feedback on KEF T Series or KEF in general?

Okay, so today I visited ProFX opposite to VR Mall and got a demo for KEF T Series. They sounded pretty fine and wifey approves their slim footprint but I have never heard of this brand before. Any feedback on KEF T Series or KEF in general?
Kef is a well known brand in the HT world

KEF is a very old and reputed english brand, though the T series is not really their forte, more of a product to fill in a specific gap.

Try the kef q series. Take a price range and audition the best whatever they have. So that you can set a benchmark. Then move around towers Vs bookshelves Vs satellites etc , as per your requirement.

KEF is a well known brand in Audio speakers. The T-series is tailored for slim TVs and allow for wall mounting.
It is OK for movies/TV but will not satisfy if you are an avid music listener.
If discrete or small speakers a deal breaker, consider Monitor Audio Radius series too.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back