"bose or no bose" is the question

I bought polk audio s55 for front, s15 for surround, s35 for center, sub woofer from polk. Onkyo for atmos speaker With lg 4k tv. 1lakh 20k . And polk sound good . I hooked up my denon avr with apple tv 4k and google chromecast 2 plus tatasky hd. They sound good together. Just need few clever tricks to hide the speaker wires

What do you guys suggest?

Please do not buy a Bose jewel cube unit. While they can sound pretty amazing up front, spend some time with them and you'll soon realize that there is a hole in the frequency spectrum. They are also inefficient to drive and need a receiver with a lot of grunt. This goes for pretty much any little cube sized speaker.

The only credit I can give these tiny speakers is superb sound steering for home cinema. Most little speakers tend to do this a little better than their larger counterparts.

If you must buy Bose, stick to the larger 301. There is some form of proper driver implementation in this speaker. You could use a 301 for the front and a 201 for the rear. Yes; no fancy wireless business but this is easily solved with concealing of wires. Buy a nice Rythmic or SVS Subwoofer, a good center channel from the likes of Kef, PSB, etc and you're sorted. Off course, a receiver from Marantz or Yamaha for the purpose of processing and driving your speakers.

One more thing. What you get for 1lac and what you get for 3lacs will be poles apart when it comes to sound quality. Do not buy anything in haste. Take your time and listen to everything there is,

not really...their bookshelfs are affordable and sound really good.....i use the 301s series iii n they are great......the speakers have no crossovers...

Common guys. Let's not go Bose-bashing again.
They make products that occupy a niche market.
And you get bragging rights.

I'm not a Bose fan, but have used their bookshelf speakers in the 90s while I was in the US.
At the time and for the money ($50 a pair; what I could afford back then) they were quite good.
Had 2 pairs and ran them for 4 years (and resold them for $25 a pair)

So let the OP come back with his impressions on Bose and other brand auditions.
Then we can continue discussing pros and cons of whatever OP thinks is a fit for his home.

Cheers,
Raghu

If I have a budget of 2-3lacs, I would buy SVS sub, Dali/KEF Speakers and Marantz AVR
  • Marantz 5012 - 80k
  • Dali Zensor 5 (front) and Zensor 1 (surrounds/atmos) - 50k(z5) 50k( 4 z1)
  • SVS Sub - 50k-70k
I wish I had that kind of budget for HT :p

I had a demo of Zensor 5, Zensor vokal and zensor 1 rear setup today and it was pretty wow! Am strongly leaning towards that combo.
The sub however was also Dali. Would SVS Sub be better than that?

Compare the specs and you will see technical differences....placement and room acoustics also matter

I had a demo of Zensor 5, Zensor vokal and zensor 1 rear setup today and it was pretty wow! Am strongly leaning towards that combo.

Good to here that :):cool:
Dali's are really good speakers especially for movies and pop songs. Even I have heard the system with Dali sub and have never heard a SVS myself but based on reviews in this forum and some youtube videos; SVS subs are monster in low freq (20-50hz) their response is flat and therefore it's easy to decide a crossover when tuning the system.

Since you have a budget you must demo SVS and XTZ too. Cheers!

Good to here that :):cool:
Dali's are really good speakers especially for movies and pop songs. Even I have heard the system with Dali sub and have never heard a SVS myself but based on reviews in this forum and some youtube videos; SVS subs are monster in low freq (20-50hz) their response is flat and therefore it's easy to decide a crossover when tuning the system.

Since you have a budget you must demo SVS and XTZ too. Cheers!

My only concern with Zensor 5 is that it is a 2011 model, 8 year old! Makes me a little nervous investing so much on such an old model of speakers....what do you guys think?

My only concern with Zensor 5 is that it is a 2011 model, 8 year old! Makes me a little nervous investing so much on such an old model of speakers....what do you guys think?
Hmmm
Speaker tech has not changed in the last 50-60 years
Only new materials come and go.
Cheers,
Raghu

I live in Copenhagen and I remember the 'sales person' told me that Zensor is the top selling range in Dali (maybe because of price).
I think spektor is new and around same price.

There are some specific models in a brand which STILL run well over the years......if it is still in production and warranty is available...most importantly It appeals to your listening preferences then why not!

Unlike other brands, I noticed however old is the model, you never see a sharp drop in prices of the old models in Dalis.....its a rare thing if some dealer is selling them for some discount etc.

Trust your ears, take a call and go ahead.

For Subwoofers Bic America and Rythmik Audio, in the price range of 40K to 70K. Both are quite welknown and amazing performance. Have Demo - The key to Decision.

Even though they are old models they are one of the best if not the best in their price range. It’s been nearly 8 months since I got z3,z1 and vokal. Wen I audition latest bookshelves in zensor series price range such as Polk singnature series, q acoustics and even some towers I very well feel that zensor is class apart. The tonal quality is amazing. For a small to medium size room u don’t even need z5 or the z7 cause the z3 alone will do an excellent job. Being old but yet the zensor series are in demand products among the Dali line up is evident enough how good they are. Only area where the zensor series falls short is mid bass

The question you want to ask is if they have been sitting in a box for the past 8 years, what are the chances of foam rot setting in early once you get it. I have no idea about it, but just throwing in the idea.

Okay guys, I finally took the plunge this weekend and brought home Zensor5 pair, Pico Vokal center, Dali E9F sub and Focal Dome 2.0 surround and Denon 1500h. Was worried that they will not sound as fab as they did in the demo room but they haven't disappointed. Even wifey grudgingly admits that they sound better than bose lifestyle :)

Many thanks to all in this forum who chipped in with their advice. You guys are awesome!

Okay guys, I finally took the plunge this weekend and brought home Zensor5 pair, Pico Vokal center, Dali E9F sub and Focal Dome 2.0 surround and Denon 1500h. Was worried that they will not sound as fab as they did in the demo room but they haven't disappointed. Even wifey grudgingly admits that they sound better than bose lifestyle :)

Many thanks to all in this forum who chipped in with their advice. You guys are awesome!
Congrats dalis are awesome

Back