Bose Sound Touch 520 Vs Denon X3200W + Speakers

naryhyd

Hello All,

I want to setup my new sound system for watching movies and playing music. Setup is in living room, need experts advice and guidance. Options I am considering ( Please do suggest if any better ).

1. Buy a ready to setup Bose sound Touch 520 ( Friend of mine coming from US in April, and said he can bring one with him ) Costs 1500$.

2. Buy a Receiver and Speakers and Sub separately. This seems little risky for me as I am layman in sound and related technologies.

Multiple possibilities in Option 2.
i) Buy Denon AVR X3200W (499$ ) + Bose Acoustimass 10 V ( 999$ )
ii) Denon X3200W (499$) + Some Other Good Speakers with Sub

Appreciate if some one can drive me in this setup with their experience and advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Hello All,

I want to setup my new sound system for watching movies and playing music. Setup is in living room, need experts advice and guidance. Options I am considering ( Please do suggest if any better ).

1. Buy a ready to setup Bose sound Touch 520 ( Friend of mine coming from US in April, and said he can bring one with him ) Costs 1500$.

2. Buy a Receiver and Speakers and Sub separately. This seems little risky for me as I am layman in sound and related technologies.

Multiple possibilities in Option 2.
i) Buy Denon AVR X3200W (499$ ) + Bose Acoustimass 10 V ( 999$ )
ii) Denon X3200W (499$) + Some Other Good Speakers with Sub

Appreciate if some one can drive me in this setup with their experience and advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Well this is a very tricky request.

1. Go for Bose if you have auditioned the set and like it. What about warranty?
2. Go for a HTiB or separates if you interested and passionate about slowly building your setup. Its one amazing never ending journey. You have the option to mix and match the components and tailor it your tastes.

In short, always, literally always, audition and install the setup that suites your tastes.

MaSh

What MaSh says is very true.

Option 1:
Bose is an all or nothing option. You may love the sound, in which case you can go for it.
But when you want to upgrade, you start from scratch all over.

Option 2.i and 2.ii
Where are you getting X3200W for $499? It is priced at $999 at most US online outlets.

AVR + your choice of speakers gives you the flexibility of staging your purchases as and when budget becomes available.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,
There are lot of parameters need to be considered for Multichannel/ Stereo listening setup. First of all what is the room size?

If the your listening room is < 180 Sq Feet then you may consider

1. AVR - Marantz NR series.
If> 200 Sq feet then SR - 600X models.

For Sub - You may consider 12 inch sub ( no compromise on size)

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Regards,
Sam

Thank you for responses, though I did not get the concrete answer.

1. Where I got X3200W for 499$. It was on sale couple of weeks back on FRYs with Sunday coupon code (50% off ). I guess currently it is selling @ 549 in FRYs with daily coupon code.

2. As I mentioned earlier, it is my first HT setup, going to use for movies as well as music. Really appreciate if you guys can throw some light on good speakers ( pair of floor standing , center and other two ) which can go along with Denon X3200W that saves lot of time.

I have a friend travelling soon, so want to decide asap.

Thank You All.

Just to give more on expecting setup.

Samsung 65 Inch Curve TV 9000 series 4K HDR Ready (Purchased )
+
oppo BDP 103 Darbee edition Player ( Purchased )
+
Wii + Apple TV ( Already have )
+
Denon X3200 and Speakers Plus Sub or (Bose 520 Life Touch)

Thank You!

I would avoid spending 1500 $ on Bose equipment. Go the separates way and you will get a much more fulfilling sound and plus you can always replace one component you may not like or wish to upgrade.

would suggest go with separates for speakers and sub. You have a wide choice to choose from

Upgrading will be easy if you dont buy Bose......or else if you like Bose and have no plan for any near future upgrade then Bose will do.......

Few questions
1. Room size? Is it a dedicated room or shared living space?
2. For floorstanders can you provide at least 2 ft space (back and side) from speaker to wall, while maintaining at least 6 feet between them.
3. Do you need 7.2 or are you OK with 5.1? By extension, do you need the latest and greatest sound formats?
4. Are you willing to buy AVR + L/C/R first, then sub and surrounds?
6. If adding a sub or two, can the room accommodate them?
5. Is this set up going to be used regularly for music listening too? If you say 50-50, then your music playing out of the system is closer to 75% (once you include movie sound track background)
6. Starter's budget? From your earlier posts, it seems to be $1500 or about 1L+
7. Since you are considering Bose, are you open to other sat/sub options? E.g. Monitor Audio Radius, KEF, Boston Acoustics, etc (just naming a few)

FS look sexy, imposing and all, but in a small multi purpose room, a pain to place correctly for optimal performance. Stand mounts or satellites may be more forgiving.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank you all for responses and suggestions. With the information I got, I am decided towards Custom setup.

Raghu,

1. Yes its a shared living space.
2. Yes I can provide space for speakers. ( I am also open for wall mount speakers if any good ones )
3. For now I am good with 5.1. Yes I want the setup to last for long, so wants all the latest in terms of technology.
4. Yes I got Denon AVR X3200WW ; willing to buy all 5+sub same time.
5. I will go with one Sub for initial setup
6. Yes, it is 50% music and 50% movies
7. I can stretch up to 2000$ for Sub and Five speakers ( I have X3200W )

With this info, if some one can guide or force me to buy a specific set of speakers and Sub I will go with it.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thank YoU!

$2000 or 1.0L to 1.2L is a very good budget for 5.1 speakers.
No one will force you to buy a set of speakers :)
You make that decision after hearing them.

Suggest you audition these lines
Polk TSX
Dali Zensor
Wharfedale Diamond
Boston Acoustics
KEF Q
Monitor Audio
PSB
<FMs may add more choices>

The first 3 you will find threads within the forum with lots of details and impressions.
Plan for 50% of budget towards L/C/R; 25-30% towards sub; the rest for surrounds.
Floorstanders, standmounts (BS), satellites is based on your audition.
L/R can be FS/BS; Surrounds can be satellites.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Raghupb has given u a good/tried and tested list to work on, listen to each of them and decide, irrespective of how long it takes. Just to add to it, at this budget you can consider the Polk RtiA7/5 series instead of the tsx, Dalis are fantastic too. What is best is completely dependent on what kind of sound you like, doesn't matter what most reviews say, even for a novice listening to these setups a couple of times can give a better perspective, buy what your listening liked best

PSB X1T - you will not get it for 1.2L. FS pair is 70k, sub is 45k, surrounds-40k, centre-25k
Dali Zensor 7 - you will not get it for 1.2l either. You might wish to check Zensor 5 which maybe somewhat cheaper.

^^
Agreed, that's why I said L/R can be BS too.
The PSB mini, Q300 and RTi A3 stand mounts are surprisingly "large sounding" speakers; and I mean this in an honest positive tone. The rest I have not heard at all or not in small form factor.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank You all for suggestion. I will get auditioned some of you suggestion and decide on speakers.
Once again thank you for your inputs.

Hello All, Thank you for your inputs, Finally decided to go with bose acoustimass 10 V ( Got a deal with 20% off i.e. 799 + Tax ) along with Denon AVR X3200W.

I will update the Sound Quality by end of week.

Thank You!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back