Boston Acoustics A26 Review

abracher9

Here is the review of the Boston Acoustics A26 speakers:

I will be doing it in parts, progressively.

Basic Info
Specifications:
Frequency Response: 51Hz - 25kHz
Recommended Amplifier: 10 - 150W
Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 89 dB (SPL/2.8V/m)
Woofer: 6.5''
Tweeter: 1'' Kortec softdome
Dimensions (HxWxD mm): 330 x 210 x 265
Weight (kg): 6.3
Bought for: 18,900 from HiFiMart. Delivered within 4 days in good quality packaging.

Setup
Source: Marantz Cd 5003 / Logitech Squeezebox
Amp: Topping TP 20 / Marantz PM5004(ordered, but not yet recieved)
Cables: Good quality ones including interconnects.
Speakers: Boston Acoustics A26
Layout: Speakers placed on peg tables(1 1/2 feet high), 8 ft apart; distance from rear wall 1.5 feet(they are rear ported). Listening from distance of 6 ft.(Plan to buy stands soon)

Played the setup over the last one week or so for upto 4-5 hours daily.
Initial Impressions
I'm not an audiophile with great knowledge of all the terminology, so I'll basically compare it to my earlier setup of Norge + Wharfedale and other setup of Topping + JBL Control 1.
Played the following: Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms(album), Julio Iglesias (My Way - album), Rockstar(movie soundtrack), Madonna(True Blue - album), Sting (Best of),Pink Floyd(The Wall),Scorpions(various albums), Creedence Clearwater Revival(Klassiker), Eva Cassidy and Katie Melua.

The sound compared to Norge +Wharf is clean and clear, smooth highs and deep bass. Soundstage is very good. Though with Topping there is a limitation with the loudness, it goes loud enough for a 12 X 16 room. At times I felt some more power could be good, especially with rock numbers, but that,I believe will be taken care of by the Marantz amp.
As compared to the Topping + JBL combo, the sound fills the room and is more rounded and the bass is fantastic. I could actually differentiate between each instrument being played. Of course, it should improve with the speakers being placed on their stands subsequently.
More as I listen...

Attachments

• IMG_2985.jpg
    IMG_2985.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,429
  • IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Last edited:
Blind, actually, but after going through a large number of reviews. Turns out, its a very good buy for the price.

Congratulations abracher9. boston + marantz seems to be a good combo.
How much did you pay for the speakers?

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new rig. That TP20 is quite a thing right? Would you say that the TP20 + BA is more revealing vis a vis the Norge + Wharf?

Thanks for the review and congratulations on your new rig. That TP20 is quite a thing right? Would you say that the TP20 + BA is more revealing vis a vis the Norge + Wharf?

Yes, definitely. Much better soundstage, clarity and bass is deep but not boomy.

Congratulations abracher9. boston + marantz seems to be a good combo.
How much did you pay for the speakers?

18,900/- at HiFiMart. HiFizone in Delhi claimed they could give it to me at 18,000/- about 2 weeks back, but have not been 'able to get their stock' from wherever. Seemed kind of 'grey' to me.

Continued from earlier.
Received the PM 5004 amp from HiFiMart. Delivered timely, in 4 days and well packed in double boxes.
Hooked up the amp with the CD 5003 and Boston Acoustics A26.
My initial impressions are given below:

Volume: Much louder than the TP 20, 9-10 o'clock was enough to get my wife complaining and asking me to reduce the volume.

Bass : Much better than TP 20. You really can't make out that bookshelves are playing! Compared to my earlier combo of Norge + Wharf 9.6, maybe slightly lesser, but takes care of all the music that I listen to.

Soundstage: As good, probably better than TP 20. This was an issue with Norge+Wharf combo. In addition, clarity is quite good, and should improve on placing the speakers on dedicated stands.

Mids and High frequencies are not harsh on the ears and are adequate, probably attributable to the silk dome tweeters.

Overall, the combo sounds better than Wharf+Norge and TP20+JBL

Last edited:
it maybe a misconception that silk dome tweeters are generally not harsh.

Generally folks think the Topping is an angel from heaven but its got its limitations which are exposed when you come to a real stereo setup. The toppings are good for a small bedroom setup but i dont think much of them (I own them and use them as a secondary timepass setup and thats what they are ... timepass )

But all this is for another day.

The dedicated stands will help.

enjoy your setup !

mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the point. Just because there were no reviews on this forum, it doesn't mean they're not good. It just means that there are no views about the speakers in this forum. So my review...

Since your review abracher9 these have gained quite a reputation. I am interested in getting a pair myself, but would like an audition before. Anyone know where I can get an audition for these in Kolkata?
Also abracher9 you have paired these withe the Topping and now the Marantz, how would you classify these, on the brighter or warmer side?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back