Bought: Panasonic 32" LCD and Onkyo HT

tian

Guys,
After a lot of research (on this site and a few other sites), I finally boought myself the following:
32" Panasonic LX800
Onkyo S5105 HT
Tata Sky+ STB

So far I am mighty pleased with the output. The sound on the LX800 is very low, but the picture is absolutely marvelous. The new STB from Tata gives a fantastic output and the picture is too good to be true. The LX800 displays all the channels is such crystal clear picture.

So far I am passing the sound & picture directly through a composite cable from STB to TV. I have tried through the HT and that makes the sound much much better. This weekend I will buy an optical cable and pass the sound from STB to HT through optical and the picture from STB to TV through component. That will make things much much better.

Nothing is so far written on the Tata Sky+ STB. Guess I will do the writing there. In nutshell the Tata Sky+ STB is great. It has Component, Composite and Optical out. The picture quality is much much better than the old STB. (I have both, the sky+ in the front room and the normal sky in the bedroom, so can talk of both).

Will write more once the setup is complete. So far the results are just good and I am enjoying the picture on the LX800.

Thanks to all those on this forum who have written detailed reviews on the Television and HT, which enabled me to choose the Panasonic and Onkyo.

Guys,

So far I am mighty pleased with the output. The sound on the LX800 is very low, but the picture is absolutely marvelous. The new STB from Tata gives a fantastic output and the picture is too good to be true. The LX800 displays all the channels is such crystal clear picture.

Tian,

First of all welcome to the Panasonic family. Congratulations on getting the LX800! It is a great TV.

It is great news that you are getting good PQ with the Tata Sky+ STB. My Sun Direct DTH is an absolute garbage, I am thinking of switching to some other provider. But as of now, the Sky+ STB is a bit expensive for me.

Today I auditioned the 5105. They really sound good. Maybe it's a bit low on volume. Max level possible is 72. Had to play around 60 level for a theatre effect. Is this normal?

Today I auditioned the 5105. They really sound good. Maybe it's a bit low on volume. Max level possible is 72. Had to play around 60 level for a theatre effect. Is this normal?

There is something wrong here. The 5105 is supposed to pump out 130 watts per channel at 8 ohms. At 83% (60/72), you are sending some 108 watts into each channel. At that wattage, you should be breaking all the window glasses and your neighbours should be pounding on your front door.

Check you setting on the amplifier, and also check your cables. What speakers are you using? You should not cross 40 to 45 watts for sane listening.

Cheers

reju,

On the Onkyo you have to keep all the speakers volume at default 0 dB and the volume goes to 80 which is the highest. If the volume in each speaker is increased to the max possible of 12 dB the volume dial stops at about 72 or so.

Coming to the volume being low, well it is a bit low in the initial stages. I have to turn the volume dial to about 50-55 for it to really kick in for both DVD and Divx rips. Only Indian DVDs sound loud at 35-40 on the volume dial. Hollywood movies and Region 1 DVDs are really audible with the HT Sound FX kicking in only from around 50 or so on the volume dial. Personally I have never needed to go beyond 60 and usually play with the volume dial between 50 to 55.

reju,

On the Onkyo you have to keep all the speakers volume at default 0 dB and the volume goes to 80 which is the highest. If the volume in each speaker is increased to the max possible of 12 dB the volume dial stops at about 72 or so.

Coming to the volume being low, well it is a bit low in the initial stages. I have to turn the volume dial to about 50-55 for it to really kick in for both DVD and Divx rips. Only Indian DVDs sound loud at 35-40 on the volume dial. Hollywood movies and Region 1 DVDs are really audible with the HT Sound FX kicking in only from around 50 or so on the volume dial. Personally I have never needed to go beyond 60 and usually play with the volume dial between 50 to 55.

Since it was 15x20 room volume @ 60 was fine. Yes at home I may have to play around 50-55. But is your speaker vol set at default 0?

So this seems to be normal for Onkyo HTIB? I know you have 3100.

@ venkatcr: So what do you make out of this?

Since it was 15x20 room volume @ 60 was fine. Yes at home I may have to play around 50-55. But is your speaker vol set at default 0?

So this seems to be normal for Onkyo HTIB? I know you have 3100.

Yup, all my speakers are set at default 0 dB. I did play around with them initially, but after finding the main volume control fluctuated with changes in individual speaker volume left it as 0 dB.

Yup, all my speakers are set at default 0 dB. I did play around with them initially, but after finding the main volume control fluctuated with changes in individual speaker volume left it as 0 dB.

Hi,

I enjoy my Onkyo HT at vol level 35 & max(if reqd) 42.
Mp3 & CD at 30.What I was told was Onkyo engineers do some settings on
Volume section to prevent damage to unit.So you may req higher setting.
Mine was not configered so low volume level is ok.Dont know how they do.

Hi,

I enjoy my Onkyo HT at vol level 35 & max(if reqd) 42.
Mp3 & CD at 30.What I was told was Onkyo engineers do some settings on
Volume section to prevent damage to unit.So you may req higher setting.
Mine was not configered so low volume level is ok.Dont know how they do.

What's the model spirovious? Mine is HT3100. I very rarely play music on the Onkyo. Use my PC with Creative 5.1 set in stereo mode for my mp3s (I guess I will not be termed a true audiophile with this declaration), but I find the additional investment in the Creative was better and the sound too better than compared to the Onkyo and also the additional work of burning music on audio CDs or rewritable ones every time I wanted to listen to a particular song was also taxing and time consuming.

You auditioned the 5105 at a dealer so he may not have set the system properly. I am not sure about HTIBs, but in an AVR you can set the relative volume of each channel. In the system you auditioned, this may been kept very low, so the overall power had to be increased to awaken the speakers.

Carefully setting the system up with an SPL meter or an inbuilt Audessey system will clear this issues. There are also DVDs available that help you set up the system for both Audio and Video.

Cheers

What's the model spirovious? Mine is HT3100. I very rarely play music on the Onkyo. Use my PC with Creative 5.1 set in stereo mode for my mp3s (I guess I will not be termed a true audiophile with this declaration), but I find the additional investment in the Creative was better and the sound too better than compared to the Onkyo

Hard to believe Creative desktop theatre sounds better than Onkyo? I already have DTT2500 and was planning to scrap it and go for Onkyo HTIB.:confused:

and also the additional work of burning music on audio CDs or rewritable ones every time I wanted to listen to a particular song was also taxing and time consuming.

High time to get a media player like Elektron my friend> Go for it, you really need one!;)

Hard to believe Creative desktop theatre sounds better than Onkyo? I already have DTT2500 and was planning to scrap it and go for Onkyo HTIB.:confused:

I got the Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 which is pretty decent. Only problem with Onkyo as with any other HT system is they are in 5.1 and will not play great music which is 2 channel. Ditto for Creative too since it too is 5.1! I output in stereo all audio so basically pumps same content/volume to all speakers in the 5.1 system so no more 5.1, but amplified sound in all speakers and with the speakers wall mounted and spread all over the room the music sounds loud and booming. I am not too sure if this could be done via the AVR of a HT system i.e. convert any audio stream into stereo so it comes as 2 channel stereo in all speakers at the same time instead of as 5.1. Upmixing and downmixing is easily possible on PC. Of course Dolby Pro II mode does the same in my Onkyo (to a certain extent at least) and yes music does sound pretty good in this mode, but it was getting tough to get my entire collection on the HT when I wanted. I tried cables from PC to AVR, but there was too much of a hum (probably faulty earthing), but in the end I decided Creative at Rs. 3750 was a better option since most of my music collection is in mp3. Not true audiophile quality, but pretty good either ways and I am getting Audioengine A5 in January so that should make music pretty nifty on my system.

High time to get a media player like Elektron my friend> Go for it, you really need one!;)

Definitely have one on the agenda especially for the HD rips more than the music. Undecided yet between the Elektron and the Popcorn Hour, but leaning towards the Popcorn Hour since my sister is coming from the US in January.

Definitely have one on the agenda especially for the HD rips more than the music. Undecided yet between the Elektron and the Popcorn Hour, but leaning towards the Popcorn Hour since my sister is coming from the US in January.

That's good. Please order very soon as PCH has 1 week to 1 month waiting time.

What's the model spirovious? Mine is HT3100. I very rarely play music on the Onkyo. Use my PC with Creative 5.1 set in stereo mode for my mp3s (I guess I will not be termed a true audiophile with this declaration), but I find the additional investment in the Creative was better and the sound too better than compared to the Onkyo and also the additional work of burning music on audio CDs or rewritable ones every time I wanted to listen to a particular song was also taxing and time consuming.

I have 2 yr back's HT-S580 rated 120w at 8ohm & Tanooy f1.
Onida DVD player and looking for DAC either CA or Parasound1100.
Do you know?

I have 2 yr back's HT-S580 rated 120w at 8ohm & Tanooy f1.
Onida DVD player and looking for DAC either CA or Parasound1100.
Do you know?

Hi,

Parasound I have not heard, but Cambridge Audio is very good (but I can vouch for the CDP, have not seen the DAC in action). Any particular reason you are looking for a DAC and not a dedicated CDP? The Azur series from CA is great for music.

Hi,

Parasound I have not heard, but Cambridge Audio is very good (but I can vouch for the CDP, have not seen the DAC in action). Any particular reason you are looking for a DAC and not a dedicated CDP? The Azur series from CA is great for music.

MY SIMPLE IDEA -keep single player,ie DVD player and improve CD like sound Q.
I will connect DVDP coax to DAC & DAC coax output to AVR(for5.1 DVD),ANALOGUE OUT to ana. of AVR(CD,MP3,WMA).

I can connect 4 devices(even PC) to DAC & improve on SQ.
Parasouns is known for quality CDP & amp.

check-http://www.parasound.com/vintage/dac1100.php

Looking at speci.can you guide?

MY SIMPLE IDEA -keep single player,ie DVD player and improve CD like sound Q.
I will connect DVDP coax to DAC & DAC coax output to AVR(for5.1 DVD),ANALOGUE OUT to ana. of AVR(CD,MP3,WMA).

I can connect 4 devices(even PC) to DAC & improve on SQ.
Parasouns is known for quality CDP & amp.

check-http://www.parasound.com/vintage/dac1100.php

Looking at speci.can you guide?

Not much experience with DAC myself. I am sure others on this forum will be better equipped to guide you. BTW on the link you have given it says the 1100 is a discontinued product... Is it still available?

Not much experience with DAC myself. I am sure others on this forum will be better equipped to guide you. BTW on the link you have given it says the 1100 is a discontinued product... Is it still available?

Its secondhand product.

Hi tian,

How much did the Panasonic LX800 cost?

LX800 cost me 43K. Money well spent, I might add.

I have now conencted the TataSky+ STB through optical to my Onkyo. The effect is coooool... However I too notice that the volume has to be set at 55 to 60 for me to get a HT effect.
I am learning the Onkyo, so I guess it will take me some time to really understand all nitty-gritty details. Thanks Venkat for the information provided by you. I will try this out today.

Guys, I am convinced that the TataSky+ STB is most certainly the best STB in the market right now. The PQ is just too good. In fact the PQ is much better than the audition I took of the TV in the showroom. There they were running this on cable.

The sound quality, as written on this multiple times, of the LX800 is near pathetic. I have a Samsung 22" LCD in the bedroom that that has much better sound. Anways, my Onkyo compensates for the sound deficiency of the TV.

The only thing thats causing me issues is that I am not able to get my DVD player (Phillips) to play through the HDMI port of the HT. Not sure why. I tried everything that listed in the manual, but it just does not show up on the TV. So for now, I will have to make do with Component + Optical, till I figure out what I am doing incorrect.

So far, happy with mt setup. Once again thanks for all on this forum for all that has been written. It was most certainly helpful.

Any further help on the following will be appreciated:
1. Why my Phillips DVD not play through HDMI. I have connected the Phillips to the Onkyo through HDMI and then the Onkyo to the TV also through HDMI
2. Why does my Onkyo need to be set to such high volumes to get a decent efffect (I know a lot has been written on this post so far, so I guess I will have to try all that)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back