Bought the Samsung 50" C550.

the default is warm2 in movie mode , that is why this yellow look

i changed it to normal or cool while in movie mode then it (yellowish/dull picture)gets better

the colors are more natural in this mode,but somechannels i see heavy dotcrawl/dithering,may be this is what sanjay and plushly is saying, it is not noticeable from my normal viewing distance(13ft), when i come close (2ft) it is very much visible. people faces looks like ghost due to this,

also now i see a white line across when the screen goes fully bright and white

I tried this combination but I still prefer the normal mode. May be my eyes are now trained and got used to that.

Sanjay, any updates on the banding issue? I have been considering purchasing the set based on your initial review and then held off due to your post where you observed the problem.

Bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung 50C550 without an audition....am counting on Samsung to deliver a set that suits me and one thats problem free.I would be pretty happy if this can match the quality of the Series 5 LCDs that they produce.

Bit the bullet and ordered a Samsung 50C550 without an audition....am counting on Samsung to deliver a set that suits me and one thats problem free.I would be pretty happy if this can match the quality of the Series 5 LCDs that they produce.

Imrahn,

Congrats! Whats the price paid?

Kittu

^^Thanx kittu,

net is 68.5k(or 69 if he doesn't budge at the end) with a DVD Player and Samsung Onam offer(a "magic spectacle" which shows the contents of a card-most probably 100bucks or BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME , hehe :D :D).

went to the samsung showroom and checked out the 50" C550, as the size is too small for my room, so now considering of buying the 58" c 6500- unfortunately they do not have it on display in any showroom. The samsung showroom in forum mall koramangala told me they would be getting one piece for dispaly, also some special offers and price drop is expected during diwali, which is when i am planning to purchase.

They just called me and told the piece has arrived.But since tomo is tuesday(?? :( ), told them to come and install on wednesday morning.Will update the thread with pics and first impressions for sure.

I am following up with a friend to see what my options are. The immediate problem now is, even if I am able to get a replacement, I have lost confidence in Samsung as a brand. Not to mention that I am really not too thrilled about the 'image retention' issues with Samsung plasmas. Thus the problem is what TV to buy.

Any update on your problem Sanjay? Did you get a replacement which resolved the issue? Or you went for a refund and moved on to other TV?
If the problem is resolved, it would be good idea to remove that red warning in first post ;)

Your problems with the C550, seem to be the same as mine. Strangely enough, I too don't remember having this issue when I first got the TV. Now, it seems unwatchable with certain channels/programs. I myself am also very confused as to what I should do now. Although in India, the option of having the TV exchanged or refunded are quite is not an easy task if not altogether impossible, I might be able to return the TV. So I am tempted to simply buy the Panasonic 50" V20, but the problem with that is, I really don't care for TVs that don't have a black (preferably matte finish) frame and unfortunately Panasonic has stupidly decided to have a grey colored frame for their V20 series. Also, more importantly I have actually taken a real liking to the C550's GUI, remote and over all feature set. Basically, if it were not for this one issue, I actually think the TV is a great value for money.

!!UPDATE ON POSTERISATION / green banding IN MOVIE MODE:

Finally got an exchange panel from my supplier.

Since I waited for nearly 3 months for an exchange, I think I can qualify the issues I was having compared to the new panel.

The new panel has absolutely NO posterisation issues from any source. While only having the panel 1 day, not enough time to confirm that it won't recur, it is enough to confirm that the issue is a GENUINE FAULT and if affected I urge you to seek and exchange from either the supplier or Samsung.

The original reason for the exchange, the loud buzzing, also seems to be rectified. The buzzing is there if you mute, but cannot be heard over normal volume. As long as the buzzing doesn't get louder over time, I can live with it.

The color balance seems to be better out of the box as well on the default modes. Perhaps there has been a revision to this model (could explain why there was a 3 month wait for the TV in Australia, also the startup menu seems slightly different from memory), but whatever the reason - I am happy I persevered with this model rather than taking second choice at this stage.

For those that have been annoyed by the reported floating black issue (I was), once the TV is run in and the DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION is set to AUTO (I worked it out after re-reading the manual), I found the flickering rarely occurs or is noticable enough to annoy.

I will update if any of the issues recur over time.

Any update on your problem Sanjay? Did you get a replacement which resolved the issue? Or you went for a refund and moved on to other TV?
If the problem is resolved, it would be good idea to remove that red warning in first post ;)
Actually I have not been able to conclude whether this is a problem with the TV or is simply a problem with quality of broadcast. Apparently the problem is only there with poor quality video. When watching channels with good quality or while watching Blu-rays or good quality DVDs the problem is not there. Also upon discussing the issue with a friend, he informed me that he faces similiar problems with his Samsung LCD also. Due to lack of time I have been was unable to follow this up with Samsung and have decided to just live with the problem. It would be nice to hear from others who have bought this TV to know if it is just my TV that has the problem.

NOTE: Based on the comments above by 'plushy', I will try and follow this up with Samsung and see what can be done. Unfortunately dealing with such issues in India are not as simple as in Australia or elsewhere. It is going to be quite a task to get Samsung in India to accept this is an actuall problem with the TV.

Last edited:
Sanjay

As stated the banding and posterisation in shadows does not exist at all with the new TV, even with very poor signal. I definately would not live with issue now that I know it is a genuine fault.

I never noticed the problem initially with the old TV; maybe it is something that shows up over time - we'll see.

It might be worth adding that the buzz issue is back a bit louder to today, no where as bad as the last panel, but still an issue.

Actually I have not been able to conclude whether this is a problem with the TV or is simply a problem with quality of broadcast. Apparently the problem is only there with poor quality video. When watching channels with good quality or while watching Blu-rays or good quality DVDs the problem is not there. Also upon discussing the issue with a friend, he informed me that he faces similiar problems with his Samsung LCD also. Due to lack of time I have been was unable to follow this up with Samsung and have decided to just live with the problem. It would be nice to hear from others who have bought this TV to know if it is just my TV that has the problem.

NOTE: Based on the comments above by 'plushy', I will try and follow this up with Samsung and see what can be done. Unfortunately dealing with such issues in India are not as simple as in Australia or elsewhere. It is going to be quite a task to get Samsung in India to accept this is an actuall problem with the TV.

Sanjay,

Sorry for bringing back the old thread alive. I am in the same boat as you. I called up the samsung engineer and he tells me it is poor telecast and also the image being used in streach mode. Although his answer was not even convincing he was extremely arrogant so I had to let him walkout immediately from my place. But I am seriously thinking to write to Samsung . SD is really really BAD , GLOSSY , Shade, Ghost image, Shadow layers :sad:... I have a multi room AIRTEL connection and it works perfect on my other SONY LCD ..............

Were you able to get this problem resolved ?

Kittu

I don't think the problem is as bad as described by you. The problem is definately more, with poor quality video, specially poor quality SD video. You might want to also check your picture settings and tone down the contrast levels. By the way, I personally feel that the latest firmware update has improved the picture quality somewhat and personally I do not have nearly as much problems with color banding anymore.

Sanjay,

Sorry for bringing back the old thread alive. I am in the same boat as you. I called up the samsung engineer and he tells me it is poor telecast and also the image being used in streach mode. Although his answer was not even convincing he was extremely arrogant so I had to let him walkout immediately from my place. But I am seriously thinking to write to Samsung . SD is really really BAD , GLOSSY , Shade, Ghost image, Shadow layers :sad:... I have a multi room AIRTEL connection and it works perfect on my other SONY LCD ..............

Were you able to get this problem resolved ?

Kittu

SD was very poor when i had Tatasky (composite ), things improved greatly when i switched to big tv(component video first, now hdmi with dvr), , Are you using normal or hd stb?
does your airtel stb has component video output?

SD was very poor when i had Tatasky (composite ), things improved greatly when i switched to big tv(component video first, now hdmi with dvr), , Are you using normal or hd stb?
does your airtel stb has component video output?

I am using AIRTEL HD...

Viewing mode movie/standard :

Cell light : 15
Contrast: 95
Brightness : 40
Color : 50
Sharpness : 40 - 45

Yday I was watching few sports channels I could not make out faces... I thought STB- AVR- TV was some lag but STB - TV also same no difference.

Samsung engineers comes with few hd rips in his USB and says everything is fine problem with STB.. Airtel guy says problem with TV.. :sad::mad:

I will try the latest firmware tonight and see if it improves any.

Kittu

your brightness seems quite low, mine is 60 and contrast 88, on standard mode anyway i tried your settings and no such issue, even on tencricket which is little bit weak in pq compared to earlier neo or starcricket

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back