Bought the Samsung 50" C550.

sanjay0864

Bought the Samsung 50" PS50C550.

PLEASE READ POST NO 64 BELOW BEFORE ANY DECISION MAKING ON THE TV IN DISCUSSION.

I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to post a detailed report/review. Thus for now I am posting my initial observations. In any case I don't have time to watch the TV enough to be able to do justice to a detailed and indepth review.

First of all let me explain why I chose this over the Panasonic 50" V20. The TV I bought is not intended as my primary display for critical viewing, i.e. I don't intend to watch any movies (Blu-rays or DVDs) or any special events available in HD on it, for that I use my projector. This TV will be relegated to being used only for watching regular TV and some PS3 gaming at most. Therefore spending Rs. 42,000 (60%) more to get the V20, seemed like a waste of money. Having read about how good the Samsung 50" B550 from last year was, I spent a lot of effort to track down a store that had this in stock. Honestly speaking, in a few minutes of watching the TV with a couple of Blu-rays and some programming from 'Sun Direct HD' my mind was immediately made up to buy the C550.

Brief 'initial' impressions/observations of the PS50C550:

Price: MRP Rs. 85,000 | DP Rs. 80,000 | Retail Rs. 69,500 (Paid Rs 550 for transportation from Delhi to Gurgaon, to have the TV delivered right away) Thus total cost for me Rs. 70,500.

Looks: The TV is simple and elegant, with a black frame. Although I would have preferred a matte finish, the glossy finish is not as bad as some other TVs with Piano black finishes. In fact with lights out, the frame totally dissapears, leaving only the picture in view.

Screen: A deep dark grey with very low reflectivity compared to most plasmas. This is one of the things that I am very picky about and even I am satisfied and with no complaints in this regard. In normal conditions with average room lighting, one would be hard pressed to see any reflections at all with the TV on. Even with the TV off, there are very little reflections. In comparison, my old Philips CRT rear projection TV had atleast 'FIVE' times more reflections.

Inputs/Outputs: Ample set of inputs. 3+1 HDMI, 2 Component, 1+1 Composite, 1 Optical out, 1 audio out for an external set of speakers, 2 USB, 1 LAN. The TV senses signals input into the connections and only those inputs that have an active signal are displayed in the 'Source' menu. Very, very convenient.

GUI: One of the best in the industry. Very intuitive and easy to navigate.

Settings: A very in depth level of picture and audio controls available, allowing for quite a bit of fine tuning.

Audio: Not anywhere comparable to my old Philips 55" CRT rear projection TV. But definately quite decent in comparison to all the LCDs I have heard so far and comparable to most Plasmas. In any case I have found a reasonable solution for decent audio. Samsung has a Soundbar with a wireless active sub-woofer, capable of decoding Dolby Digital and which produces a reasonably decent enough sound for regular TV viewing. The price is MRP Rs. 17,000.

Video: The picture quality ranges from very very good to moderate, depending on the source and type of picture. The blacks are maybe not as good as the Panasonics, but they are definately better than most, if not all LCDs that I have seen. For watching HD material, the TV is a no brainer and even with SD material the picture looks quite satisfactory. But truth be told, I don't expect much from SD TV available via DTH operators in India anyhow.

Remote: Very nice and intuitive layout of buttons and lot's of function specific buttons available on the remote.

Extras: DLNA compatible. Streams media from PC via networking. WiFi compatible. USB input supports media playback.

Nice surprise: TV does not lock into the 16:9 (Full) mode even with HDMI input and or HD signals. A feature that is extremely useful when you have technically challenged companies such as 'Dish TruHD', who lock the aspect ratio of the output signal on their boxes to 16:9, even on the regular 4:3 SD channels. Thus if your TV locks into the 16:9 (Full) aspect ratio, which many many HD TVs do, you are stuck watching a distorted squished picture due to the incorrect aspect ratio.

Overall: Excellent value for money. Specially considering that you would have to pay substantially higher for the Panasonic V20 plasma.

My recomendation: HIGHLY Recommended. Specially if budget is limited. Personally I think, that it makes far more sense to buy this for only Rs 5,000 more than buying the Panasonic 42" V20. The wow factor from the extra 8" on the Samsung 50" C550, is far greater than the benefits of the higher black levels and or picture quality of the Panasonic 42" V20.

Negatives: The only negative issue that has stood out so far, is that I noticed quite a bit of 'image retention' issues, but they seemed to be gradually reducing with usage time. I believe this is normal and is part of the run in process that lasts for approx 100 - 150 hrs.

Note: Avoid the ugly 'Dynamic' preset like the plague. The 'Movie' preset provides the most natural looking picture and color tones. Based on my brief experience, I would recommend that one use the 'Movie' preset as the starting point and then further fine tune the TVs picture settings from there.

PS: I checked for any unusual 'buzzing' sounds from the panel, but for the life me I cannot hear anything from up close, far off, to the right, to the left, in the front or from the back of the TV. Yes, I turned of everything that made any noise in the room, including the airconditioning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your detailed review. :)

Did you get to compare C550 with C450 ?

BTW, Is 70k the least it was available for?
As mentioned above in my comments, the actual price I paid for the TV is Rs. 69,500. It was hard enough to find the TV in stock, let alone be able to get a better price by negotiating with mutiple dealers. In any case, based on how I finally sourced the TV, I seriously doubt one could get a lower price than this. Atleast not until the model becomes a little older or the company has some promotional prices around Diwali.
Thanks for taking the time and effort to post your detailed review. :)

You are welcome. Although I did briefly watch the C450 while I waited for the salesman to setup the C550 for demo. But, since I had no interest in the C45o, I did not view it very critically and or in direct comparison to the C550, . Personally I think, if one can stretch their budget, the C550 is a far better value for money. I did notice a lot more reflections on the C450 screen. Although, that may be due to different levels of lighting around the TV.

Sanjay,

Thanks for the review..

Asusual question, by any chance you have compared this along with Pana 50V20 or LG 50".

Regards

Thanks for the review..

Asusual question, by any chance you have compared this along with Pana 50V20 or LG 50".
You are welcome. Nope, I did not compare it to the Panasonic V20 or the LG 50". I am quite sure the V20 is a much better TV than the C550, but as explained in the first post, I don't think it is worth spending the extra Rs. 42,000 (60%) for the V20, specially for my usage needs. I did take a look at a few LG Plasmas a week ago and w=quite honestly I did not like quite a few things about them. First of all, I cannot stand the highly reflective, almost mirror like screens of LG Plasmas. Secondly I do not like their single sheet of glass look, which ends up making the TV even more reflective. I also do not like the placement of their side inputs. They are so far recessed into the back of the TV, amking them a pain to use if the TV is hung on the wall. Most importantly, I was not at all impressed by the picture quality either. Although to be honest, I did nto do much critical viewing and the conditions and source picture too were not quite ideal.

As you know, C450 is not exactly 16:9 when it comes to pixel count (Its rather 4:3). That make quite some difference when viewing 16:9 HD material.

The B550 I viewed last year scored marginally better than B450 in black level though reflection was similar.

Re: Bought the Samsung 50" PS50C550.

That was a neat review.

I'm sorry I don't have the time right now to post a detailed report/review. Thus for now I am posting my initial observations.

Wonder how the detailed report will look like. :eek:hyeah:
This has most info people will need.

Thanks for the review and reply too, last year samsung 50B550 is an very sucessful model and it is pity it was taken very quickly out of indian market to push the LED's.

I am also considering this year model in my wishlist.

This TV will rock once few buyers are able to pick up the same and reviews come out. In that pricing it is a good deal for VFM buyers.

Sanjay, congrats. :clapping::clapping: Welcome to 2010 Plasma owners club.

shaiju

Have you checked samsung c550 in stores before buying the lg pk550?,
how is the difference in pq(sd/hd or bluray)
In my city neither pana 42v20 or lg 50pk550 is available:sad: I need to order a piece and pay advance for those
only samsung c550 is ready stock

i hope you get a fresh replacement set today, best of luck

In my city neither pana 42v20 or lg 50pk550 is available:sad: I need to order a piece and pay advance for those
only samsung c550 is ready stock

What?? :D
Your place seems like the only place in india which has C550 and not PK550 and V20. Everywhere else it is exactly the other way round.

What?? :D
Your place seems like the only place in india which has C550 and not PK550 and V20. Everywhere else it is exactly the other way round.

yes,quite a surprise for me as well after reading this forum:),lg pj560 and pana g10 is available.Not many shops sell plasma here .

Sanjay,

Whether the 50C550 is assembled in India or imported ? Since last year model 50B550 is an imported one..

^ I think it is getting imported from Korea.

It is a wonderful TV and amazing value for money, Congratulations to the buyer.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back