Bought Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

The 9.1 are excellent speakers for the price.Newer technology is not necessarily better. Dont go by reviews alone. Trust your ears(the best judges ever) .

In my opinion consider all factors into account (room size, musical taste, placement of speakers etc) before taking any descision. The 9.1s are better for smaller rooms. Not heard the 10.1's but feel 9.2's would be a better deal in case you plan to upgrade.

The front porting of the 9 series series make placement easy in small rooms.

The 9.1 are excellent speakers for the price.Newer technology is not necessarily better. Dont go by reviews alone. Trust your ears(the best judges ever) .

In my opinion consider all factors into account (room size, musical taste, placement of speakers etc) before taking any descision. The 9.1s are better for smaller rooms. Not heard the 10.1's but feel 9.2's would be a better deal in case you plan to upgrade.

The front porting of the 9 series series make placement easy in small rooms.

Thanks for the advice. I tested 9.1 against 10.1. 10.1 had more base, definitely . However, I thought that 9.1 were bringing out the vocals in a much better way (maybe because of lesser bass). This is why I chose 9.1s.
My concern is that they are a 5 year old tech. Next when I decide to buy the centre and sw 9 series may be out?

Congrats on ur purchase.:yahoo::clapping:

Enjoy ur system. Acoording to reviews available 9 series is better. Most of the reviewer have reviewed 10 series with a distance of 6-8 feet from rear wall. And ofcource when people opting for budget system r not going to have that much space availabe. ( One of our fellow member had quipped about 10.1 that "who is going to buy a budget speaker and put it in a palace?":eek:hyeah:)

pl post ur experience of denon1509+9.1 regarding performance with music.

Enjoy ur system. Acoording to reviews available 9 series is better. Most of the reviewer have reviewed 10 series with a distance of 6-8 feet from rear wall. And ofcource when people opting for budget system r not going to have that much space availabe. ( One of our fellow member had quipped about 10.1 that "who is going to buy a budget speaker and put it in a palace?":eek:hyeah:)

Thanks,
This helps.
I will keep everyone posted.!!

Thanks for the advice. I tested 9.1 against 10.1. 10.1 had more base, definitely . However, I thought that 9.1 were bringing out the vocals in a much better way (maybe because of lesser bass). This is why I chose 9.1s.
My concern is that they are a 5 year old tech. Next when I decide to buy the centre and sw 9 series may be out?

Wish you best of luck for the purchase :).
I have been using 9.1 for the past 8 months its really a good speaker for small rooms it doesnt create boomy bass in small rooms, but if you crank the volume to a higher level the speaker will start to distort, this speaker is good for moderate volume levels. but I would consider it better than 9.2 for smaller rooms (10 * 8)cause I tested 9.2 that I borrrowed from my friend in my room it was totally different then 9.1.. very boomy bass 9.1 midrange reproduction was quite good compared to 9.2 but for a slightly larger room IMO 9.2 should be the winner. one more thing these speakers are the only speakers that can go to much lower frequency at a small cost;).

That may be the fault of the amp no?

Regards

You are right Distortion can be the fault of an amp also..but I have tested 9.1 with different amps NAD as well as Marantz in both the cases there is some distortion at higher volumes (near 12 o clock). but for a normal listening environment no one would be needing such high volume so good to go with it:). I din't test 9.2 with such volume level, I Guess it must not be having any problems at higher volumes because of large drivers and cabinet size. what do you say;)(12 o clock).

Took the plunge. Changed 9.1 to 10.1..
They sound great!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for the advice>:yahoo:

You exchanged? How much difference did you pay? Do they sound better than 9.1?

Regards

difference is 2000 rs.
They go down in frequency a little more. And frankly I wanted to go with the newer technology. Series 10 was released in July 2009, 9 I think 14 years back. Although in audition I thought vocals sounded better with 9. 10.1 sound bigger (soundstage) than 9.1.

10.1 versus 9.1

The 10.1 is a "conditional" performer. Even Wharfedale says that they need >50 cm from the rear wall and 70cm from the side wall. (See PDF manual)

Plus a good stand. Violate these principles and you will get BOOOM BOOM bass. (which is never a good thing in hifi)

But if you place them correctly, you will probably be rewarded with a more transparent sound than the 9.1.

I said that! :lol:

Reviews favour the 10.1, but the fine print is the rear port and distance from the rear wall.

Took the plunge. Changed 9.1 to 10.1..
They sound great!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks everyone for the advice>:yahoo:

Yes, they have solid improvements over the 9.1 in areas of resolution, transparency and scale. But that bass requires correct positioning, otherwise it is slow, woolly and boomy. I like a lot of things about the 10.1 but strongly dislike it in a cramped room.

You exchanged? How much difference did you pay? Do they sound better than 9.1?

Regards

yes dude, how much did you pay?

10.1 are little open than 9.1 ,some may think it bright too.

Tonally, both 9.1 and 10.1 are very impressive. Very very natural sounding. I love the tonal balance of my 9.1, especially in the midrange. 10.1 has a very similar tonality, just right, neither dark nor bright .. and not too forward and definitely not recessed. (Superb for the money)

But the bass on the 10.1 is the thorn in the flesh unless you get it right... and you need space for that.

Re: 10.1 versus 9.1

The 10.1 is a "conditional" performer. Even Wharfedale says that they need >50 cm from the rear wall and 70cm from the side wall. (See PDF manual)

Plus a good stand. Violate these principles and you will get BOOOM BOOM bass. (which is never a good thing in hifi)

But if you place them correctly, you will probably be rewarded with a more transparent sound than the 9.1.

I said that! :lol:

Reviews favour the 10.1, but the fine print is the rear port and distance from the rear wall.

Yes, they have solid improvements over the 9.1 in areas of resolution, transparency and scale. But that bass requires correct positioning, otherwise it is slow, woolly and boomy. I like a lot of things about the 10.1 but strongly dislike it in a cramped room.

yes dude, how much did you pay?

Tonally, both 9.1 and 10.1 are very impressive. Very very natural sounding. I love the tonal balance of my 9.1, especially in the midrange. 10.1 has a very similar tonality, just right, neither dark nor bright .. and not too forward and definitely not recessed. (Superb for the money)

But the bass on the 10.1 is the thorn in the flesh unless you get it right... and you need space for that.

Ya, you are right, the bass is a touch too high. I will have to rejig the placement i guess.
thanks

Ya, you are right, the bass is a touch too high. I will have to rejig the placement i guess.
thanks

Regarding the Diamond 10.1:
Small correction, the Wharfedale manual says 50mm, not 50cm from the rear wall... I mentioned a wrong figure.

50mm from rear and 70cm from the side wall.

But I guess that 50mm is too optimistic a figure.... I would give them at least 5 feet on good stands.

how many watts per channel does that NAD output?

the speaker is unable to handle such great power, the amp is not the culprit.

And it is never good for one's ears to listen @ 1 o' clock. :eek:

Last edited:
Back