Budget amplifier for wharfedale diamond 220s

the wharfedale sw150 is quite musical.... and its in your budget.... but ill say buy a very good amplifier now.... the sub can always be added later..... buy good products one at a time rather than a set of mediocre products..... this is a lifelong journey once youve been bitten.... trust me

for new try contacting hifidemoroom. also you can look at used listings on hifiads.com.... there is good stuff to be had if you fancy a weekend trip to chennai/bangalore

I mentioned this information related to wharfedale 220 speakers.

First of all, most widely available consumer speakers have a lot less deep bass than they seem to have: What they have is lots of mid-bass; it is easy to be fooled into thinking one is actually hearing really deep bass when all one is hearing is lots of inarticulate booming. Mass market speakers (entry level) reproducing unpleasant mid bass (50-80hz) and fuzzy boom bass, these speaker's cabinet design is also not good. Hence the output sound signature may be unpleasant or lack in mid and high frequency areas.

If you connect a home theater sub along with this wharfedale 220 speakers, boom sound increase in high level. The ultimate result will be ''you can't hear the correct stereo image, and also mid, high frequencies''. Bcoz entry level speaker producing less detailed sound, if adding a sub to an entry level bookshelf spkr, musical details were hiding very large level...

You can connect high end speaker with musical sub woofers with crossover settings of 80Hz.

I think any budget bookshelf's bass is with the freq in the 40Hz/50Hz up range not in 20Hz or below. So deep bass at very low end of freq spectrum is not something to be expected out of it. Pls correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Probably a sub connected and cut-ff at 80Hz will improve the mid range clarity/detail of bookshelf as it has to work only from 80Hz and up which will be easy for it.

220's freq response starts from 56Hz and most of the BS in that segment has almost similar freq response. After listening for few weeks I feel it is doing very good for music as well as movies. I am not using any Sub now and these are set to "Large" to play all freq.

Back