Budget entry level dslr

Remember, a DSLR makes sense only if you are willing to invest in additional lenses and are willing to pick up the technical nitty-gritties of photography. No point in buying a DLSR and then using it as a point & shoot (as I have seen quite a few relatives of mine do so).

+100 to that.

First point - If you are not willing to buy good lenses in future, very soon you will find yourself frustrated with a budget DLSR and basic lenses (18-55, 50-250 or similar). The quality will not be drastically different from point and shoot @ similar price point, but the hassle of a DSLR will certainly be over the top. Read hassle as changing lenses, typically bulky compared, needs care and maintenance and above all, you should know all the technicalities of photography. DSLR would demand a lot of money, time and effort. For few budget DSLR you will also not have 'live view' (i.e on screen display while capturing the picture). At least in all P&S cameras you have a electronic view finder/screen.

Used Body: Nikon D90 - 20/25K. Look for less than 20K shutter count.

New Body: Nikon D90 - 35K
Used Body: Nikon D7000 - 35K

Lens: 50mm 1.8D - 6K.

Lens: 70-300 NON VR - 6K+ Manfrotto monopod -679B -3K

*Avoid DSLR's which do not have a built in focusing motor or PENTA PRISM viewfinders.

Last edited:
Hi,
THANKS to all, so in that case which body has builtin auto focus? 550d or d3200? Or can some give a small list of such camera body
thanks.

Used Body: Nikon D90 - 20/25K. Look for less than 20K shutter count.

New Body: Nikon D90 - 35K
Used Body: Nikon D7000 - 35K

Lens: 50mm 1.8D - 6K.

Lens: 70-300 NON VR - 6K+ Manfrotto monopod -679B -3K

*Avoid DSLR's which do not have a built in focusing motor or PENTA PRISM viewfinders.

Fantastic choices , provided if one can get these in prices mentioned above. :)

Hi,
THANKS to all, so in that case which body has builtin auto focus? 550d or d3200? Or can some give a small list of such camera body
thanks.

Neither of them has focus motor. Focus motor starts from semi-pro bodies. They won't fit in your budget as you have indicated. The cheapest you can get is a 2nd hand D90. Fantastic choice if you can get one at reasonable price.

Hi, But is it not that lenses with builtin auto focus perform better this according to other photographic forums and also that canon says.
Thanks.

That's a marketing gimmick a lot of people have been bought into.

If that was the case why does Canon put focus-motor in high-end bodies?

And if your quest is to buy a camera with focus motor rather than an overall good camera than you are a perfect customer for Canon. Canon loves innocent people.

Hi, Is canon new 650d with builtin af motor,but that will considerably increase my budget or should i consider nikon d90?
Thanks.

For a newbie (on equipment front), you are indeed going for a big bang approach on the DLSR body :D What price are you getting for a D90 body?

nikon d90 is a very good choice, but the new purchase with 18-55 lenses will cost you around 45-50k. Have you got any best price?

If you have budget than d90 is best pick.

nikon d90 is a very good choice, but the new purchase with 18-55 lenses will cost you around 45-50k. Have you got any best price?

If you have budget than d90 is best pick.
Hi, Jjmehta offering d90 for whopping 57189 with 18-105 vr kit lens but i have get a reply from him.where can find cheaper option,don't want to try used ones though.
Thanks.

Hi, Jjmehta offering d90 for whopping 57189 with 18-105 vr kit lens but i have get a reply from him.where can find cheaper option,don't want to try used ones though.
Thanks.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this to you yet but have you tried the camera galli in fort? You are mumbai based anyways...

Just go there to check out the pricing..

Decide what is the budget. Then its easier to freeze on the best you can get out of it. If you keep the budget open or change the goal post quite often, then you cannot reach a conclusion.

+1 to pupupuchi28's comment. Leave along upgraditis, you are busy blowing your budget off the water with the very first purchase itself :D No offence meant, and if you can afford it, :thumbsup:

Hi, I was thinking on similer lines,to get a compact camera to do zoom, but our some learned forum members coerced me to think otherwise and go for dslr camera which i at this moment don't want.
Thanks.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a point & shoot superzoom as long are you are happy with the limitations. The biggest benefit you get is really good price, simple controls, and compactness.

Chances are that if you are only an occasional photographer, you will much more likely be carrying around a lightweight compact camera instead of a big bulky DSLR. In other words, having a small camera (with limited capabilities) is better than not having a camera at all (or not carrying one because of its bulk), and you will miss the moments you really wanted to capture. This is the reason why camera phones are so popular - you simply end up taking a lot more pictures with them because it is with you all the time.

Everyone finds the balance between portability/convenience and features/upgradability. In a way, it is not too different from the classic desktop vs laptop debate. Guess which one won out? Then again, photography is a different field so the analogy is not 100% accurate too.

I also want to point out that no one seems to be suggesting Canon cameras. If you put aside the Nikon vs Canon debate (bottom-line: both are good), Canon has some very well priced entry level DSLR cameras. My suggestion would be to buy the cheapest body possible (even the cheapest one will have more features than you can handle, and will vastly outperform any superzoom. Many Canon bodies are priced cheaper than most superzooms too and are significantly cheaper than Nikon. This allows you to spend money on good superzoom lenses which is where you should be spending money on anyway.

You can get a Canon 1000D for 22k in Flipkart. For a DSLR camera with an APS-C sized sensor, that cannot be matched. You can also buy a superzoom lens from Canon or from another vendor for 8-15k which gives you a body and lens for the price of the body alone from Nikon or any other brand.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back