Budget integrated stereo amp suggestion for KEF iQ7 floor standers

Interesting that the Pass B1 be brought up. Just today FM Tanoj dropped by with his AP speakers and DIY Pass B1 preamp. I wanted to hear his AP stand mounts with my AP combo and it was a real bonus that he brought the DIY Pass B1 along.

Folks truth be told - there was little to distinguish between the AP preamp and the DIY Pass B1. There might have been differences we might have noticed but AB comparos between the two preamps were really moot. Changing between the two were just like replacing twin brothers - those familiar with both will notice differences probably but to third party listeners they would virtually be no difference. Both were musical virtuoso in their own right.

Given that my AP Pre is about Rs 90K new plus the mods square_wave (the previous owner) has had done including new 6N2P Russian tubes. The DIY Pass B1 costs just Rs 6K! Tanoj planned upgrades on the case might add about 1.5K to the cost but that is still tremendous VFM! Serious tip of the hat to Pune DIY FMs Omishra and Sachin for their work on the DIY Pass B1.

Your observation is very true. I find the B1 so transparent and revealing. If someone has the time and energy, they must build B1 and get a good power amp (or build that too). Amazing VFM.

I am doubtful whether any of the above will do a lot to improve your bass/mid situation. Bass/mids are affected mostly by speakers/drivers, Room, and listening position. Electronics does not do much unless it's eq'ing the signal. Doubtful any of the 4 options you mentioned will help. It will be a good exercise but you won't get desired outcome.

Manoj,

Actually I am discussing about the bass issue and options to get maximum juice out my KEFs. Here is the thread - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/43665-very-basic-question-bass-reproduction-floor-standers-5.html.

In fact, I am getting some very interesting results after my experiments. I will write them in detail. Right now I am travelling and will update the above thread when I get some time to write the details.

-John.

Seems like I should try the Pass B1 build. Now that I started on DIY route, I am more excited to do the Pass B1. After all it will cost 1/4th of the cost of a budget tube based pre amp I was looking for.

-John.

Seems like I should try the Pass B1 build. Now that I started on DIY route, I am more excited to do the Pass B1. After all it will cost 1/4th of the cost of a budget tube based pre amp I was looking for.

-John.

Yes John. That is a good idea. You can also plan to incorporate your phono section into the B1 cabinet. The B1 r-core will be able to handle the powersupply for the phono section. I am planning to build the CNC phono section into my B1 cabinet.

Best,
APK

Last edited:

-John.

John, I would highly recommend this if you have the chops for a DIY project. The Pass B1 was absolutely brilliant. After reading more about the design and finally hearing the preamp in my setup you really have a winner here.

John, I would highly recommend this if you have the chops for a DIY project. The Pass B1 was absolutely brilliant. After reading more about the design and finally hearing the preamp in my setup you really have a winner here.

Thanks Nikhil. I already did the DIY CNC phono stage and extremely happy with it :). I think I should give Pass B1 a try. I already got the kits of Power supply and I am in the list for the cabinet from Raghu that can house CNC, Pass B1 and Power Supply.

BTW, I got cables from Mr. Murthy. Only tried it for a little while as I am travelling. The initial impression is great. Will update the details when I am back in Bangalore :).

-John.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back