Budget integrated stereo amp suggestion for KEF iQ7 floor standers

john_k_antony

Hi,

I would like to setup a decent living room stereo setup with my existing KEF iQ7 FS (15-150W, 8Ohms, 90db sensitivity). I will be using a Velodyne EQMax 8/10 subwoofer with this setup to complement the low bass from KEFs.

I need a neutral sounding stereo integrated amp that can pair well with my KEFs that sounds brighter. My budget is strictly less than 50K. I don't want to get an used amp.

I will be using my Project Debut III TT also with this amp. So want an amp that sounds more neutral. I have shortlisted the following amps. I would appreciate your comments on the following with a brighter sounding KEF FS speaker.

1. CA 651 A
2. Marantz 7004
3. Yamaha AS500 - the cheapest :).

I heard each of the above amps with different set of speakers and found CA to be sounding more neutral than the slightly brighter sounding Marantz and more clinical Yamaha.

I would appreciate any other recommendation for an integrated amp that is <50K and pair well with brighter KEF FS and can drive them effortless.

Thanks,
John.

The 651A has a USB DAC onboard, which you may not need since you are planning an analog setup, so you can actually consider something bigger in the CA lineup by avoiding the 1 in the models (650 no USB - 651 USB)

The PM7004 is your best bet in terms of an analog setup as it has built in MM/MC support, however it is fairly neutral and may actually sound brighter with your speaker. I recommend you audition this one with your speakers to come to any conclusion.

Sonically the AS500 looks like a better match for the speakers, its a slightly warmer amp and whenever I've heard this I've come away very happy. The AS700 is the bigger brother, fits your budget perfectly and is a lot more refined than the 500 (Which is not a bad amp for the money at all). The Yams do phono natively as well.

If I were you I'd give a thorough listen to both the amps with your KEFs and make a decision. 50 is a lot of money, so spend it wisely ;)

Sonically the AS500 looks like a better match for the speakers, its a slightly warmer amp

I am really surprised to hear this. I always felt AS500 is a brighter sounding amp. When I auditioned AS500 with Yamaha speakers, I did feel that its towards the brighter side.

BTW, I will also use a CDP and an FM tuner with this integrated amp along with my TT. I already have a phono stage and I will be using that. I wont be using the phono stage that is built into the integrated amp.

-John.

I omitted NAD mainly for one reason - never heard any one using a NAD with KEF. Theoretically a warm NAD should be a good match to bright KEFs. And NAD 356 will be within my budget and has 80W power that can drive my KEF FS. Since I never heard anyone using a KEF+NAD combo, I am a little skeptical. Also I cannot take my speakers to the NAD dealer for an audition. I dont think I can get a home audition of NAD 356 either.

-John.

I am using Yamaha A-S500 and it is good, you can consider on NAD too. Yamaha is neutral and NAD is on warmer side.

Hi,

I would like to setup a decent living room stereo setup with my existing KEF iQ7 FS (15-150W, 8Ohms, 90db sensitivity). I will be using a Velodyne EQMax 8/10 subwoofer with this setup to complement the low bass from KEFs.

I need a neutral sounding stereo integrated amp that can pair well with my KEFs that sounds brighter. My budget is strictly less than 50K. I don't want to get an used amp.

I will be using my Project Debut III TT also with this amp. So want an amp that sounds more neutral. I have shortlisted the following amps. I would appreciate your comments on the following with a brighter sounding KEF FS speaker.

1. CA 651 A
2. Marantz 7004
3. Yamaha AS500 - the cheapest :).

I heard each of the above amps with different set of speakers and found CA to be sounding more neutral than the slightly brighter sounding Marantz and more clinical Yamaha.

I would appreciate any other recommendation for an integrated amp that is <50K and pair well with brighter KEF FS and can drive them effortless.

Thanks,
John.

As per my opinion, Marantz will be best bet with KEF speakers. I have personally heard marantz with KEF speakers(I guess it was iQ90). Position your KEF speakers with a bit of toe-in .... They are heard best that way. Of the amplifiers listed Marantz 7004 will be the best. Having said that best bet will be use of a tube amp. GM70 monobloc or integrated from Viren Sir of Lyrita audio will be a good option which you can consider if you are open for tube amps.

Regards,
Dr. Sunil

FM: 1235sam has the NAD + Kef setup https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.431394446896253.88444.100000771053369&type=1

This combo performs fairly well, however I'd strongly recommend auditioning both. And since you are not keen on using the amp's phono stage then NAD might also be a good contender. the C356BEE fits your budget.

Another thing that still tilts me towards the AS700 is the extra power it packs, which might be better since you are running floorstanders, and a little headroom is always welcome.

As per my opinion, Marantz will be best bet with KEF speakers. I have personally heard marantz with KEF speakers(I guess it was iQ90). Position your KEF speakers with a bit of toe-in .... They are heard best that way. Of the amplifiers listed Marantz 7004 will be the best. Having said that best bet will be use of a tube amp. GM70 monobloc or integrated from Viren Sir of Lyrita audio will be a good option which you can consider if you are open for tube amps.

Regards,
Dr. Sunil

Dr. Sunil,

Even I have heard that KEF uses Marantz to demo their speakers. So they might be a good combo. But I am little skeptical about pairing bright Marantz with bright KEF. I think it might cause my Vinlys to lose the warmth.

However, this is a casual listening setup for the living room. My dedicated stereo setup is going to be based on a SET tube amp + high efficient speakers in a dedicated listening room.

-John.

Dr. Sunil,

Even I have heard that KEF uses Marantz to demo their speakers. So they might be a good combo. But I am little skeptical about pairing bright Marantz with bright KEF. I think it might cause my Vinlys to lose the warmth.

However, this is a casual listening setup for the living room. My dedicated stereo setup is going to be based on a SET tube amp + high efficient speakers in a dedicated listening room.

-John.

John,

If you get a chance to have another audition of marantz+kef ...please give them a listen with a toe-in of 10 degree to 15 degree ... You will most likely have a different opinion about the combo ... With the Uni-Q driver embedded into mid-range, it acts as a point source from 180 Hz onwards ... So the toe-in takes away a lot of harness of the KEF in the high frequency.

A lot of Fullrange point source drivers exhibit this behavior.

Still trust your ears while you choose the amp.

Dr. Sunil

Dr. Sunil,

I will definitely try the toe-in approach. What should be the distance between speakers and what should be the listening distance for a toe-in of 10-15deg to work? Or is there any formula I can use to find the right toe-in given the distance between the speakers and the listening distance.

-John.

Surprisingly all my experience with Kef has been on the warmer side...

There's a Krell on sale in the forum...have you thought about it...Krell has the PRaT of a super-solid SS amp...should match IMO

Dr. Sunil,

I will definitely try the toe-in approach. What should be the distance between speakers and what should be the listening distance for a toe-in of 10-15deg to work? Or is there any formula I can use to find the right toe-in given the distance between the speakers and the listening distance.

-John.

John,

There is no specific formula or magic thing for the Toe-in ... After the toe-in find the sweet spot. Trust your ears on this. No formula or measuring tools work as good as your ears :)

Check on the speaker cable you are using. They might sometimes make speakers very bright.

Dr. Sunil

Last edited:
John,

BTW which SET amp are you using? if it is 6C33C or GM70 or 845 ... that should also make the KEF sing well.

Dr. Sunil

I will not use the SET amp with KEF.

The SET amp I am looking for is VP-845 from Dared - DARED VP-845 from Analog Audio Labs India //DARED distributors for India//

SET amp will be for my main listening room and I will use a high efficiency speakers with them. The choices for speakers are

1. Zu Omen Def MK I-B
2. Rethm Maarga
3. Reference 3A Grand Veena

The KEFs are going to be in my living room for casual listening. That's why I am looking for an SS integrated amp for KEFs in the living room. I am having KEFs for past 4 years. Right now they are paired with a Denon 2310 AVR. The stereo performance with Denon AVR and KEF is bad!

-John.

you could check out Rega brio-r amplifier....they were going for around Rs 50K sometime back on HFV mart. I think they are out of stock now, and the current distributor (who is based in Bangalore, AFAIK) does not have any new stock.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back