Budget integrated stereo amp suggestion for KEF iQ7 floor standers

My dear friend, I am not forcing any one to recommend. This is a public forum and open to all. If people are interested to reply they are most welcome to reply. What do I get by increasing the number of posts? If some one feel that I am wasting their time, they should ignore my posts.

PS: please don't make such comments because I rejected one of you sale offers you made to me.

I am using NAD722BEE with my Monitor Audio speakers. Speakers have a similair sound as KEF. The amplifier has warm brilliant sound like a tube amp. I have over 25 year amplifier of NAD, Top quality for a good price.

I am using NAD722BEE with my Monitor Audio speakers. Speakers have a similair sound as KEF. The amplifier has warm brilliant sound like a tube amp. I have over 25 year amplifier of NAD, Top quality for a good price.

Hey Aylos,

Thanks for the details.

I recently auditioned MA RX6 with CA 640. I felt MAs to produce better, tighter and deeper bass very much to my liking. The details and mids were very good too. At one point, I thought of trading my KEFs with MA RX6 :). Then I thought of giving my KEFs another chance with a good stereo amp. I am trying my best to get an home audition of NAD 356BEE if possible.

BTW, I did read about some quality issues with NADs. Read about some instances where the caps blowing off due to excessive heating. I guess they fixed it with the newer models.

-John.

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for all the recommendations and great suggestions. I would like to let you know that I have taken a totally different route and this is what is going to be my setup. It is a pre-power combo.

1. Power Amp - Used Accoustic Portrait NJ1 dual mono (Corrson - India's only DIY Store for Hi-End Audio). Just bought it today from FM barathana. I just went for an audition today without having any plans to buy it. I just listened to it for 1 hr and NJ1 was in my car :). It was that cool. The bass is so well controlled and tight. I kept asking Bharath if he is hiding a sub woofer somewhere :). His speakers were AP Scanspeak bookshelves. The imaging and bass they produce is too good for a book shelf.

Side Note : Those speakers are on sale now. They are a great pair of bookshelves with amazing bass.

2. Pre Amp - It is going to be either one of the following. I heard Lyrita pre today at barathana when I went to pick up the AP power amp. They are just AMAZING. But I would like to try Dared SL2000A once. Both of them are priced the same.

a. Lyrita Pre Amp
b. Dared SL2000A

3. I am building a 5 in / 1 out relay based RCA switcher for using with the pre amp. I am doing this as Dared SL2000A has only 2 line inputs and I need 4 inputs.

4. Since I am starting DIY, I am also building the CNC phono stage as well :eek:hyeah:

I already got the DIY kits for building the source selector, CNC phono stage and power supply from Sachin (sachu888). I will be starting with the CNC phono stage today. I went to SP road and got all the soldering stuff and a DMM :). Cant wait to put my hands on the soldering iron and get the CNC build. I am going to use battery power for the CNC now. I am waiting for the R-Core transformer and chassis for the power supply and source selector.

This entire setup will over shoot my original budget of 50K. But marginally. But I am so excited about me getting into DIY and getting myself an AP amp. I always wanted to get an Indian build Amp

So now I am planning to connect the pre out of my Denon AVR to AP NJ1 and run it for a while till I get the pre amp.

Once again thank you all for all the great help and suggestions.

I will share the listening impressions soon after I hook it up and listen to it for a while.

Thanks,
John.

Just hooked up the AP NJ1 to my existing setup. Pre outs from Denon 2310 to NJ1 for Front L&R.

My Chain now

1. Sony DVD Player (very basic one) -> HDMI -> Denon 2310 -> L&R pre out -> Profi Gold IC -> AP NJ1 -> cheap speaker cables, got it free from ProFx -> Kef iQ7.

2. Denon is set to Pure Direct mode to by pass all DSP and have the shortest signal path to AP NJ1.

3. Project Debut III -> Project Phono MM box (soon to be replaced with CNC phono stage) -> Analog IC -> Denon 2310.

Initial Impressions

1. Bass is still not full and tight as I heard with Lyrita Pre and Marantz CDP with AP bookshelves at Bharathan's place. But better than Denon 2310. I had to use a sub woofer before as the bass was non existant with Denon 2310 driving Kefs. However I got some bass with tone settings and graphic EQ in Denon. But I turned tone controls off as I felt the tone controls produced "colored" music.

2. I feel the sound is more detailed now than before and refined.

3. I could feel more "attack" in the music.

4. Mid range is not "lush" as I heard it with Lyrita Pre + Marantz CDP.

5. Highs are more detailed than Lyrita Pre + Marantz CDP. But not bright. Seems like highs are better controlled compared to 2310. What I heard at Barathan's place was pretty warm and my setup sounds towards detailed/brighter side. I feel the tube Pre was doing the magic at Barathan's place.

I think the following changes will improve bass and mids

1. Remove Denon 2310 from the chain and use Dared / Lyrita tube Pre
2. Use Oppo 93 as the CD transport. Use the analog out from Oppo 93 to the Pre
3. Upgrade speaker cables.
4. I dont want to upgrade ICs as I feel I am using decent quality ICs now.

Would really appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks,
John.

1. Power Amp - Used Accoustic Portrait NJ1 dual mono (Corrson - India's only DIY Store for Hi-End Audio). Just bought it today from FM barathana. I just went for an audition today without having any plans to buy it. I just listened to it for 1 hr and NJ1 was in my car :). It was that cool.

Congratulations John. The AP amplifiers do have a very good reputation, though I feel that it's strongest followers are outside of this forum.

I have not heard the Dared pre, but have heard the Lyrita pre (I assume you are talking about the lyrita DHT pre). They lyritas are excellent and are great value for money. I should also add that Viren is an excellent person to deal with.

Best,
APK

Hi apk,

Thanks for the complements. I will definitely look at Lyrita DHT pre after listening to Dared tube Pre. I can really say that the warm and lush sound I heard yesterday at FM Bharathan's place was produced by the Lyrita Lync Pre he has.

One thing I have decided for sure is that my Pre is going to be a tube based one.

-John.

John,

Since you are in Bangalore, you should pay Siva a visit and take a look at the AP Pre amp to go with your NJ1 Power amp.
The AP Pre is a tube based amp and should go really well with your NJ1.

Take some time to properly match your pre and power amps. With due respect to the brands you have in mind, an AP Pre Power combo will smoke anything you can buy in the Rs 1.5L - 2L range in my opinion.

Hi Nikhil,

I am going to meet Siva during the Bangalore audio meet this weekend. Will definitely talk to him in detail. I may even take my NJ1 to compare with his tube Pre and Dared tube Pre I have in mind.

-John.

John,
There is a lyrita lync pre-amplifier for sale by FM subhobh at a very good price in the 'for sale' section. Wasn't this the same one that mesmerized you during your power amplifier audition?

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/43748-preamp-lyrita-audio-lync-preamplifier.html

I have dealt with FM Subhobh in the past and can definitely vouch for him.

BTW, how did the bangalore audiophile meet go? Did you get a chance to talk to Siva?

Best,
APK.

Hi John,
Pass B1 was sounded best in Pune HFV meet.I never heard any AP amps,so can't really comment,but try to demo B1 in Banglore.FM Rohit from Pune is having both AP pre power and B1.His comments may be useful.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi John,
FM Rohit from Pune is having both AP pre power and B1.His comments may be useful.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes, even I would be interested in hearing from someone who owns a tube pre-amp and the pass B1 on how they compare with each other. Especially interested in comparing the B1 to Lyrita DHT pre and the AP pre.

Rohit......care to shed some light?

Interesting that the Pass B1 be brought up. Just today FM Tanoj dropped by with his AP speakers and DIY Pass B1 preamp. I wanted to hear his AP stand mounts with my AP combo and it was a real bonus that he brought the DIY Pass B1 along.

Folks truth be told - there was little to distinguish between the AP preamp and the DIY Pass B1. There might have been differences we might have noticed but AB comparos between the two preamps were really moot. Changing between the two were just like replacing twin brothers - those familiar with both will notice differences probably but to third party listeners they would virtually be no difference. Both were musical virtuoso in their own right.

Given that my AP Pre is about Rs 90K new plus the mods square_wave (the previous owner) has had done including new 6N2P Russian tubes. The DIY Pass B1 costs just Rs 6K! Tanoj planned upgrades on the case might add about 1.5K to the cost but that is still tremendous VFM! Serious tip of the hat to Pune DIY FMs Omishra and Sachin for their work on the DIY Pass B1.

Last edited:
Interesting Nikhil to hear about your comparison between the AP pre and the pass B1. If the pass B1 can stand toe to toe with the Rs 90K AP pre, that is indeed worthy praise for Mr Neslon Pass and his design. And, thanks to the DIY spirit of our forum (Sachin, Om and co), lesser mortals like me can afford to get a taste of this design. I am waiting to get the last piece of the puzzle (cabinet from Bibin) before I start the B1 build.

John,
You should give the pass B1 a try - should not be tough to borrow one from someone in B'lore who has made the B1.

Best,
APK

I think the following changes will improve bass and mids

1. Remove Denon 2310 from the chain and use Dared / Lyrita tube Pre
2. Use Oppo 93 as the CD transport. Use the analog out from Oppo 93 to the Pre
3. Upgrade speaker cables.
4. I dont want to upgrade ICs as I feel I am using decent quality ICs now.

Would really appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks,
John.

I am doubtful whether any of the above will do a lot to improve your bass/mid situation. Bass/mids are affected mostly by speakers/drivers, Room, and listening position. Electronics does not do much unless it's eq'ing the signal. Doubtful any of the 4 options you mentioned will help. It will be a good exercise but you won't get desired outcome.

Back