Budget Plasma LG 42PN4500 review

It is obvious that scaling ratios across Length and Height will be different. The pixels are also not square rather rectangular in shape.
It is a fact that all the 42inch plasmas of any make in India now follow this pixel matrix.

I have placed an order for the same through Kundan Electronics in Bangalore for 34K today; should be getting the delivery tomorrow. All other retailers like Reliance, EZone, Croma, Adishwar were quoting in the range of 35K.

Went to Kundan to make the payment and collect the TV; but those guys tried to sell a piece which was not sealed. They claimed that this was the only piece they had and it was only opened because they had to check the piece in the godown. But i did not buy this justification and just walked out of there. Did not want to take any chances after the delivery of the TV.

Can somebody please tell me how to check the usage hours.

Can somebody please tell me how to check the usage hours.

Go to settings, customer support (Red button on remote), and select Product/Service Info. It will show Used time, Model Number SW version etc. there.

Ensure it is zero during installation.

Hi Guys...

Whats the recommended viewing distance for this model?
in 1080p/720p (i dont think it makes a differences in this TV)
in sd/DVD?

views about samsung 43f4900 as well please?

Hi Guys...

Whats the recommended viewing distance for this model?
in 1080p/720p (i dont think it makes a differences in this TV)
in sd/DVD?

views about samsung 43f4900 as well please?
hi Thirumalkumaran,
I have mounted it at round 9 feet distance and find HD/SD quality very good. Search wiki for viewing distances based on panel resolution. it will give you optimum range.

I dont think I can pick this model anymore...

1. Planning to run XBMC - heared news of scaling and streching issues.
2. brightly lit room - though it can be controlled, family might not be convinced.
3. Viewing distance is just 6 ft.. WILL see pixels...

Starting a new search for 1080p 42 inches...

Guys!!!!
Back to the same TV..
They say, Once you are used to plasma tv you can't go back...
But I just demoed a Plasma and Couldn't go back to a LCD/LED...

BTW, can anybody confirm the number of inputs present...i.e total number of devices could be connected at a time?

Menu shows, 1 HDMI, 2AV in (Composite) & 1 Component in.
considering 1 component & 1 Composite are shared..

Can we connect 1 HDMI, 1 Component & 1 Composite?
Total 3 devices..?

Finally got the TV before tried to get the answers...
Its a risk taken.. But well worth it..

Let me answer the queries myself.

1. XBMC 1080p vs 768p scaling:
No issues whatsoever. I can send upto 1080p signal to TV through XBMC and it takes care of the rest.

2. Viewing distance 6ft:
Noissues, good immersive viewing, but could have been 7ft as sweet spot.

3.We can connect 3 inputs at a time (Excl USB Drive)

4. USB Playback is worst at its best...Make sure ou have a good media player.

5. Brightly lit room:
Whats that... eco minimum overruns all lights in day. could be watched comfortably.

6. Expert picture mode..
Broken my pride of configuring the TVs..
The options are so vast, you need to refer the internet...

Currently running some break-in..

willpost once done and reconfigure....

Last edited:
congrats thiru for the lovely TV, pl do share some screen shots with picture and review ,
do share the price and source at chennai too....

Not to sound pessimistic, but it's better to get extended warranty for LG plasma. Mine had two board failures in the space of two months. Extended warranty saved me from shelling a huge amount.

congrats thiru for the lovely TV, pl do share some screen shots with picture and review ,
do share the price and source at chennai too....

Hi Buddy...
Just got hte TV Will do some break-in and post the snaps..

Price: unbelievably 32390/- delivered to house via snapdeal (COD)
opened, checked and then only gave the courier guy the amount...

Very satisfied with the tv, But the black levels are poor at contrast 45 and brightness 45.. (Due to breakin)
switch to cinema for a sec.. Blown away by the PQ..

Earlier having a samsung 40c530.. LCD..FHD..
but this wins hands down in PQ even though its 768p..
running blu rays 1080p 24hz in cinema mode... WOW... wonderful motion control....

will post as develops...

lucky chap to get delivered on COD, hope u have checked usage hrs too before payment as everybody recommends.....
good to hear that ur rating it over the sammy 40inch FHD LCD, whose price may be mile away from this panel..
just curious to know, what made you to buy this if u already own 40 inch, why not 50 inch???

lucky chap to get delivered on COD, hope u have checked usage hrs too before payment as everybody recommends.....
good to hear that ur rating it over the sammy 40inch FHD LCD, whose price may be mile away from this panel..
just curious to know, what made you to buy this if u already own 40 inch, why not 50 inch???

Even I thought they might not honor COD for this price and cancel it...But it happened, They delivered, albeit 14 days later....
I was sure it was new as it had the LG branded seal on top and bottom. the seal is tough to peel and replace as it is..
Checked the Usage hours...0 :)

about my old tv.. I was using it in the UK and during return to India, I gave it to my friend...But running the same source I couldn't tell the difference between them at 7ft!

Moreover my current House is a small one where I can keep the TV only at 6.5ft from the seating place. 50incher would have been an oversight...

Finally i landed in correct place, Ordered this lovely Plasma from snapdeal for a unbelievable price 32390 - discount coupon work 1500 =30890.

It was mentioned coupons not allowed just tried applying it and got the offer :)

Waiting for the delivery will post u once i get it.

Finally i landed in correct place, Ordered this lovely Plasma from snapdeal for a unbelievable price 32390 - discount coupon work 1500 =30890.

It was mentioned coupons not allowed just tried applying it and got the offer :)

Waiting for the delivery will post u once i get it.

Usually, if they found the code was used inappropriately, they may cancel the order...
if already paid, they would refund..

Though, I may be wrong as well.

Any guidance, where we can get this guys...

Call LG customer care @ 1800 180 9999. They'll help you. I got it from the Service Engineer whom I knew.

I checked the LG website and it says Rs.4000 per year for PDP AMC. Not sure how many years we need to take!

Up to 5 years from the date of purchase. Let's say your TV is two years old, you can get the extended warranty for another 3 years.

Call LG customer care @ 1800 180 9999. They'll help you. I got it from the Service Engineer whom I knew.

Up to 5 years from the date of purchase. Let's say your TV is two years old, you can get the extended warranty for another 3 years.

Hi Calvin,
How many years do you recommend? I guess if I require 1+2 years then it will cost me 8K. now.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back