Budget Plasma LG 42PN4500 review

navrddy

Hello Guys,

I was searching for Good TV replacement for my OLD CRT. I researched many times in the net and as well on hifivision.com.
I have 2 Constraints: Mainly Budget <40K and Good Picture reproduction (color, motion) etc. and not just resolution.

Finally i zeroed on 2 Models within my Budget 1.Samsung 43F4900 and 2. LG 42PN4500.
Samsung has all the bells and whistles of more features and more ports when compared to LG.

But , considering i only require non-3D , Non-Smart Good TV with accurate color reproduction. Then i finalized LG42PN4500.

--> I looked into all stores. croma, reliance and adishwar etc.

--> Was impressed with reliance digital showroom outlook and professionalism with which product was demoed. Showroom person ensured they did not try to push the product too much.

--> Negotiated , Negotiated and final settlement price was Rs. 34,5xx /-

--> I was very clearly indicating that i want to ensure that i get only stock piece and not demo piece. Showroom was very obliging on this , and ensured that i looked into how they block the stock piece in SAP system.

--> Finally Day arrived, i got the set at my place. and technician installed the piece. showed us '0' hrs usage in Service menu.

--> Was thrilled at picture clarity, even-though it is just 1024x768 panel. But colors are as natural as CRT and also was amazed at picture sharpness.

--> Of course , no denying the fact the contrast ratios are to be amazing.

One sore point: which i had already factored in was, the Indian version of this model has only 1 HDMI connectivity at side. (which suffices my need right now). Since i hooked up to videocon HD d2h.

and i,am not planning to buy any BD-Player etc.

Hello Guys,

I was searching for Good TV replacement for my OLD CRT. I researched many times in the net and as well on hifivision.com.
I have 2 Constraints: Mainly Budget <40K and Good Picture reproduction (color, motion) etc. and not just resolution.

Finally i zeroed on 2 Models within my Budget 1.Samsung 43F4900 and 2. LG 42PN4500.
Samsung has all the bells and whistles of more features and more ports when compared to LG.

But , considering i only require non-3D , Non-Smart Good TV with accurate color reproduction. Then i finalized LG42PN4500.

--> I looked into all stores. croma, reliance and adishwar etc.

--> Was impressed with reliance digital showroom outlook and professionalism with which product was demoed. Showroom person ensured they did not try to push the product too much.

--> Negotiated , Negotiated and final settlement price was Rs. 34,5xx /-

--> I was very clearly indicating that i want to ensure that i get only stock piece and not demo piece. Showroom was very obliging on this , and ensured that i looked into how they block the stock piece in SAP system.

--> Finally Day arrived, i got the set at my place. and technician installed the piece. showed us '0' hrs usage in Service menu.

--> Was thrilled at picture clarity, even-though it is just 1024x768 panel. But colors are as natural as CRT and also was amazed at picture sharpness.

--> Of course , no denying the fact the contrast ratios are to be amazing.

One sore point: which i had already factored in was, the Indian version of this model has only 1 HDMI connectivity at side. (which suffices my need right now). Since i hooked up to videocon HD d2h.

and i,am not planning to buy any BD-Player etc.

which reliance digital showroom (location) did you pick it up from ?

Please post review. Although LG have plasma TVs there is no promotion. Plasmas are not mentioned in advts. But this forum has many posts of yesteryears good models of LG.

Dont worry about connectivity if you have only one HDMI port. Buy a simple hub like devise costing around Rs.150/- with which you can connect three HDMI cables. The real drawback of single port is when the port become faulty. You will be left with no option but to call service.

Sure. I will post the pictures, maybe this weekend.
I bought @ koramangala extn.
If you bargain hard, and not interested in any other promotional schemes. they will give the best price.

With 1 port: yes...problem if port becomes defective.

Eventhough my room is little bright. I was amazed at brighness level of this plasma. Infact enabled eco-savings picture mode, if automatically reduces brightness. This infact is brighter.

--> Will report back with pictures and energy consumption of TV.(since i have watt meter imported type).
Both SD and HD channels look really gud. but HD channels of course with Pizzaz details.

I think anyway our broadcasts is only 720p (1080i) quality. does it really make sense to use full HD panel in our country, except for blue-ray movies.
Compounding to the fact, blue-ray rips are 720p and downloading 1080p format movies will be almost impossible with existing bandwidth and download caps.

--> Conclusion: Really some introspection is needed whether resolution factor is important decision while buying TV or other parameters like Contrast ratio, Natural Color reproduction, motion-blur free actions, useless smart-tv option, 3D-(OMG: heights of fooling people who have lots of money), some introspection is really required by TV buyers.

Thanks for the detailed review.

I also have pretty much the same requirements like you and in the market for a Budget plasma. Can you please confirm how sports look on the TV?? Is there any visible blur??

Also i came across this offer on snapdeal for Rs 32,390/-LG 42PN4500 42 Inches PDP Plasma Television - Buy Online @ Snapdeal.com This is really tempting....

Is extended warranty available?? Cost??

Last edited:
Hi All,

I,am posting few snaps of the TV.

I Confirm there is no blur absolutely.
My suggestion would be better to get from retail shops (just incase company warranty is to be honored)

Yes. Extended warranty is available. I will buy later if required.

note: i took photos of tv on condition, at a distance of 11 feet with optical zoom of my panasonic handycam

Best of part of my TV, is expert picture mode: you can calibrate x number of options for picture in expert mode (isif mode).

Currently, kept brightness and contrast = 50. picture appears slights dim, when compared to eco/standard modes. But still brighter in my bright room.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 994
  • Comple_Pack.jpg
    Comple_Pack.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 984
  • SD_Cartoon.jpg
    SD_Cartoon.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 996
  • LG_Logo.jpg
    LG_Logo.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 984
  • Zoomed_Closed_Carton.jpg
    Zoomed_Closed_Carton.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 985
i agree with you,My suggestion would be better to get from retail shops,thanks
34xd

congrats
I have also demoed LG plasmas..
dont know really why there is no promotion..

I liked very much the tagline..which was there in the showroom..
clearly written..

'EYES LOVE PDP'.....do i need to elaborate?..

Hi, I am a newbie here. I too am in the market looking for a basic plasma (42") with or without 3D. After a lot of searching (Google) finally shortlisted the LG 42PN4500 and Samsung 43F4900 models. However the majority of the people kept insisting that I go for the Sammy; not too sure as to why? I did a demo of both the TV's and since I am not an audiophile, could not make out much of a difference; the only difference that i could make out was the price of close to 10K between the two. Hence my request to the experts is to let me know if I can go ahead with the purchase of the LG model or if there are any other factors between the two models that i have missed out. From this post here I can see that Mr. Navrddy is pretty much content with his purchase.

Need your help please !!

If you are satisfied with the LG, then you should go with that one only because it is you who will watch the TV not the expert.

the only difference might be the 3D.

Hi, I am a newbie here. I too am in the market looking for a basic plasma (42") with or without 3D. After a lot of searching (Google) finally shortlisted the LG 42PN4500 and Samsung 43F4900 models. However the majority of the people kept insisting that I go for the Sammy; not too sure as to why? I did a demo of both the TV's and since I am not an audiophile, could not make out much of a difference; the only difference that i could make out was the price of close to 10K between the two. Hence my request to the experts is to let me know if I can go ahead with the purchase of the LG model or if there are any other factors between the two models that i have missed out. From this post here I can see that Mr. Navrddy is pretty much content with his purchase.

Need your help please !!

I also face the same problem, the majority here prefer PANASONIC then SAMSUNG and THEN comes LG, for plasma Tv.

But
INTERESTING STUFF

Recently I was at the CROMA STORE @ chandigarh. There I saw the three together Panasonic 43 inch plasma Tv (some higher series model may be ST), Samsung 43F4100 plasma tv and the LG 43PN4500 plasma tv. The PQ, contrast, colours etc of the LG 43PN4500 were at par with the Panasonic model. I told the same thing to the demo guy at the store. Samsung was nowhere near the two.
Then I went to JUMBO store at elante Mall@chandigarh, the sales person old me that the after sales service of LG is the best.

The SAMSUNG 43F4100 (for Rs 33000/- at JUMBO store) come with two year triple protection warranty.But its resolution is low 852x480. Samsung 43f4900 model is highly priced due to 3D and higher resolution.

For LG also he quoted the same Rs 33k, and the resolution is higher for the LG set. So the obvious choice should be LG.

But my real concern is the quality of LG Plasma sets. LG service is good but nobody wants his tv to be at the service centre all the time:)

My vote goes for the LG right now.

Just for your information, there is also another model named 42PA4520 but other than the higher resolution, I am unable to figure out key differences.

http://www.lg.com/in/compare/compare.lg?category=/in/tvs

The difference in the MRP is Rs 2,000 only. Other than resolution of 1024X768 and 1366X768 I am unable to make out the differences.

Can someone elaborate?

Vinod

Last edited:
hi Guys,
Wanted to update you that I have just purchased LG 42PN4500 yesterday at Croma Chennai.

I was actually in lookout for 32 LED around 30K, since 40" at 50K+ was beyond the budget. When I went to croma, looking around, i was impressed by this model. Since I was not in market for 3D, I felt Samsung 42F4900 is not suiting me may be F4500 would have have been good. But it is not in India yet. Considering all this LG 42PN4500 fit the bill except for only disadvantage of having only one HDMI port. I am planning to get a splitter to get around this. One more advantage of LG is it provides AMC for this tv whereas samsung does not have for Plasma tvs. Hoping Life's Good :)

Just for your information, there is also another model named 42PA4520 but other than the higher resolution, I am unable to figure out key differences.

http://www.lg.com/in/compare/compare.lg?category=/in/tvs

The difference in the MRP is Rs 2,000 only. Other than resolution of 1024X768 and 1366X768 I am unable to make out the differences.

Can someone elaborate?

Vinod

Vinod, I am pretty damn sure that there is no lg plasma with 1368x768 resolution. It's only 1024x768. Traditionally lg plasmas have mediocre black levels and contrast compared to Samsung or panasonic. Besides its more prone to image retention.
But It's by no means a bad tv I guess. There are not many reviews on the net. So it's not easy to recommend.

hi Guys,
Wanted to update you that I have just purchased LG 42PN4500 yesterday at Croma Chennai.

I was actually in lookout for 32 LED around 30K, since 40" at 50K+ was beyond the budget. When I went to croma, looking around, i was impressed by this model. Since I was not in market for 3D, I felt Samsung 42F4900 is not suiting me may be F4500 would have have been good. But it is not in India yet. Considering all this LG 42PN4500 fit the bill except for only disadvantage of having only one HDMI port. I am planning to get a splitter to get around this. One more advantage of LG is it provides AMC for this tv whereas samsung does not have for Plasma tvs. Hoping Life's Good :)

what was your final price of the model at chroma pl..??/

Vinod, I am pretty damn sure that there is no lg plasma with 1368x768 resolution. It's only 1024x768. Traditionally lg plasmas have mediocre black levels and contrast compared to Samsung or panasonic. Besides its more prone to image retention.
But It's by no means a bad tv I guess. There are not many reviews on the net. So it's not easy to recommend.

There are few reviews for the US model. Indian version does not have 2nd HDMI I guess Amazon.com: LG Electronics PN4500 42PN4500 42-Inch Plasma 720p 600Hz TV (Black): Electronics

hi Guys,

I am also in same situation. I was looking for 32 Led and had decided to buy panasonic L32B6D model but while visiting LG store, I saw this plasma model and impressed by it. IMO it is the only 42 inch plasma tv currently available in india which is fairly priced.
Please give your review so I can decide :)

what was your final price of the model at chroma pl..??/

Hi Diplomat,
I paid 36K for this at croma store when the quoted price was 36.5k in their website. Today I find the website price is increased to 38K. But it seems to be much cheaper in chandigarh where 33k was offered.

Hi Diplomat,
I paid 36K for this at croma store when the quoted price was 36.5k in their website. Today I find the website price is increased to 38K. But it seems to be much cheaper in chandigarh where 33k was offered.

Hello Concorde,

It would be great if you can post some pictures and your first impression about the set. I plan to purchase the same soon. Thanks in advance.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back