Budget Printer

I am getting only these limited options to print. The preview has white line border even when border-less printing is enabled.Scaling only has 2 options.Either Crop or fit to screen. I get the below when set to crop with the corners part of the image cropped out and the previous image shared when set fit to screen.This is strange cause normally we should be getting many options. No options to play with orientation or positioning the image

View attachment 64364
Is this the printer software ? Your borderless setting is set to "off". Have you tried a print enabling it to "on"? Try scaling "fit to screen".

As Sean points out, 1920x1080 is HD res for a screen aspect ratio of 16:9

A4 pare has an aspect ratio of 1.4142 : 1

If you print a 16:9 picture on 1.4:1 paper with Fit To Paper, you will get a white boarder on topn bottom or both sides.

For boarderless printing, you will need to match the aspect ratios of the picture n paper, or crop / resize the picture to the aspect ratio of the paper.

About using 200 gsm paper, before you buy, chech yr printer manual that it will handle such thick paper.

If your printer uses a Ucshaped paper feed (typical for paper fed via a drawer under the paper) it will probably not handle thicker than 180 gsm
The user manual is not clear. It has mentioned HP cards up to 200gsm but not clear if it’s A4.I am going to assume it’s A4 and going to give it a try.

Is this the printer software ? Your borderless setting is set to "off". Have you tried a print enabling it to "on"? Try scaling "fit to screen".
Yes the printer software. With both on and off it’s the same and there is no change in the preview. Scaling has only two options. Shrink to fit or crop.

Attachments

• F53B3A06-4BC3-4C8B-9D36-46B6DDB9DBB1.jpeg
    F53B3A06-4BC3-4C8B-9D36-46B6DDB9DBB1.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 11
If the manual says 200 gsm, then it will handle any 200 gsm paper size that fits in its tray / paper feed.

Not all printers provide boaderless printing. The manual should tell you

If the manual says 200 gsm, then it will handle any 200 gsm paper size that fits in its tray / paper feed.

Not all printers provide boaderless printing. The manual should tell you
This is from the printer spec sheet from site.It does support borderless printing and mentioned 200gsm support for HP card

Attachments

• 7F96B384-97B6-40BC-95CA-61456FC70A46.jpeg
    7F96B384-97B6-40BC-95CA-61456FC70A46.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 9
Check again as to what is HP card size.
A4 is spec'd at lower GSM

Cheers,
Raghu
I called HP support to verify and they don’t even have a clue. So I checked amazon where few have commented that they have used Kodak 200gsm glossy photo card.

GSM is a standard for the paper weight. A4 is the paper size. A4 paper is available in different GSM's - so for the same A4 size the paper thickness will be different. Your printer can support a max of 200 GSM. Don't confuse the two or use the two terms interchangeably.

Any image has a height and a width. The ratio of its height to its width is the aspect ratio. But let's keep aspect ratio aside for now.
Put simply: The dimensions of A4 paper is 210 x 297 mm. To print perfect borderless, the image needs to be sized the same or if oversized, needs to be sized in that ratio of 1:1.4142 at least.
If the image is not sized in that ratio, if the option "Fit" is used in print settings, some software will fit one dimension and rescale the other proportionately which means you will see a border along that axis. Others [rare but I've seen some old software do this] fit one dimension and rescale the other dimension also to fit which means it has to stretch/skew the image that along that dimension. This will be borderless but will/may look weird depending upon the amount of stretch/skew employed.

GSM is a standard for the paper weight. A4 is the paper size. A4 paper is available in different GSM's - so for the same A4 size the paper thickness will be different. Your printer can support a max of 200 GSM. Don't confuse the two or use the two terms interchangeably.

Any image has a height and a width. The ratio of its height to its width is the aspect ratio. But let's keep aspect ratio aside for now.
Put simply: The dimensions of A4 paper is 210 x 297 mm. To print perfect borderless, the image needs to be sized the same or if oversized, needs to be sized in that ratio of 1:1.4142 at least.
If the image is not sized in that ratio, if the option "Fit" is used in print settings, some software will fit one dimension and rescale the other proportionately which means you will see a border along that axis. Others [rare but I've seen some old software do this] fit one dimension and rescale the other dimension also to fit which means it has to stretch/skew the image that along that dimension. This will be borderless but will/may look weird depending upon the amount of stretch/skew employed.
Yeah I am also in the assumption the printer is going to support 200gsm. But what I am struggling is I get no options to play with the image position or even to select the colour. U only get the options shared in the previous post. Even from mobile I get to zoom or move the position but not from PC. Only reason for me to look in to PC is I have iPhone and the hp app doesn’t let me choose the type of paper. If only that option was available there is no need to check in PC. For photo printing I need the PC to work and give me the options to align and edit the images which is available in the phone app

Try photoshop on your PCEnables you to position the image on the paper.

I am sure other simpler programs also probably offer this feature

Yeah I am also in the assumption the printer is going to support 200gsm. But what I am struggling is I get no options to play with the image position or even to select the colour. U only get the options shared in the previous post. Even from mobile I get to zoom or move the position but not from PC. Only reason for me to look in to PC is I have iPhone and the hp app doesn’t let me choose the type of paper. If only that option was available there is no need to check in PC. For photo printing I need the PC to work and give me the options to align and edit the images which is available in the phone app
What you are referring to are the standard constraints of the native printing stack on Windows (or Mac for that matter).
That's why publishing software /packages exist.

What you want to do however (layout images on a page) can very easily be managed with any word editor or presentation editor

Try photoshop on your PCEnables you to position the image on the paper.

I am sure other simpler programs also probably offer this feature
What you are referring to are the standard constraints of the native printing stack on Windows (or Mac for that matter).
That's why publishing software /packages exist.

What you want to do however (layout images on a page) can very easily be managed with any word editor or presentation editor
Ok so this is normal and default for any printers? And to overcome this I need to use third party applications? Will the below method work?

Do note that stretching the picture separately in the vertical & horizontal directions (to fill the page) destroys the aspect ration ....

Faces will look distorted... Circles will no longer be circles etc

Do note that stretching the picture separately in the vertical & horizontal directions (to fill the page) destroys the aspect ration ....

Faces will look distorted... Circles will no longer be circles etc
Yeah true. Just exploring the options. For now the printer is giving me headaches from day1. Paper jam and every time it sucks all the paper. Also the borders, colours and orientation is different to preview most of the time. This printer sucks. Regret purchasing this model. Sad luck my original choice canon was not available

Attachments

• 44224263-7A1D-4A0F-98FB-753A9E5CFDFD.jpeg
    44224263-7A1D-4A0F-98FB-753A9E5CFDFD.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 9D7531E1-3F35-465C-A7A3-F383D1705AED.jpeg
    9D7531E1-3F35-465C-A7A3-F383D1705AED.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
Yeah true. Just exploring the options. For now the printer is giving me headaches from day1. Paper jam and every time it sucks all the paper. Also the borders, colours and orientation is different to preview most of the time. This printer sucks. Regret purchasing this model. Sad luck my original choice canon was not available
Try using 3rd party printing software. The manufacturer software usually suck big time.

Also wrt to the paper jam issues et al, you'll find the sweet spot soon. The pain will be eased - keep experimenting.

I figured most things out and the printer app is good enough. The mismatch in border for colour printing using plain A4 papers with the option set to A4 plain. When I tried printing using a 180GSM Kodak photo paper with the option set to other inkjet photo paper the printing was accurate as shown in preview and borderless as well. The paper jam I will have decided to not take it serious as every now and then it’s common with inkjet printers. Now only problem I am not able to get over is the printer sucking all the pages. Most times it sucks every paper from the tray and it’s very frustrating.

Attachments

• C097C391-63B8-42E4-9A4C-329105994701.jpeg
    C097C391-63B8-42E4-9A4C-329105994701.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 7D44F9EA-85BF-463B-AC84-9B40FCC227A2.jpeg
    7D44F9EA-85BF-463B-AC84-9B40FCC227A2.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 18
It depends on your need.

If you print more then 100-200 pages you should always go for a laser printer.

As inkjet printers are cheaper to buy, they are expensive and cumbersome to maintain.

If you leave them for a long time without using, their head's clog up and that's SNAFU for you.

By all means go for a laser if you are ok with B/W prints and have to print in good numbers.

Good option in entry level are any HP, Brother, Canon, Samsung in that order. personalized sticker labels
please suggest me best cheapest all in one printer ,, ALSO low cost ink or catridge. please give me choices to select. i am not much regular user of printer but when i do ink shouldnt dry up should be taken into account. i like to photo print , xerox. scan, and print some office documents like excel , word..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back