Budget two channel HT for a friend (30k)

square_wave

A friend of mine is contemplating a two channel home theater.
Requisites:
1. One 5.1 or 6.1 AV receiver. He does not want a 2 channel amp.
2. One pair of floorstanding speakers. He needs the bass extension. No plans for a subwoofer.

total budget - 30k.
Any suggestions.

A friend of mine is contemplating a two channel home theater.
Requisites:
1. One 5.1 or 6.1 AV receiver. He does not want a 2 channel amp.
2. One pair of floorstanding speakers. He needs the bass extension. No plans for a subwoofer.

total budget - 30k.
Any suggestions.
The only option I see is maybe an onkyo sr 304 if its available and a set of wharfedale 9.1s. This combo will fit in your budget. Else you could go for an onkyo sr 506 or an entry level yamaha amp.

Aren't there some mission floorstanders at 13 or 14k ?
Any Yamaha 5.1 recievers around 14k ?

Last edited:
Yamaha entry level starts at 20K+. For that price might as well get the Onkyo 3100/3105 (both come with the AVR SR 304, which is a tad more powerful than the TX-SR304E) and he can keep the 5.1 speaker package for the odd movie he might want to watch in 5.1. Rest of the budget can be used for Wharfedale. Do check how much the Onkyo TX-SR304E costs. If its coming for a lot less then it makes sense in going for it instead. Only caveat here is music will not sound that great from these entry level systems.

He could just pick up the AVR SR 304 seperately and then a pair of wharfedales right ? how much does this reciever cost?

He could just pick up the AVR SR 304 seperately and then a pair of wharfedales right ? how much does this reciever cost?

Not sure SW. Not sure if it will be sold separately either, but I'm sure it could be managed. No idea about the pricing too, you'll have to check it out. Just that if there is not much difference then might as well take the 5.1 speaker package and keep it handy. The 3100/3105 cost around 18-20K i.e. for the AVR and the 5.1 speaker package and also at places like Reliance Digital they even throw in a budget Philips DVDP player free which will cost around 3K or so. If the AVR alone is not coming cheap when compared to such package deals then it makes more sense to go for the entire package deal and keep the other items handy or maybe find other use for them like a secondary unit in bedroom, etc.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back