Building 5.1 Home Theatre_Entry Level

DruShra

Hi everybody. I am part of this wonderful forum. Also watching home theatre threads. Now I am also in the process of building my home theatre audio. I have plasma TV. There are couple of options with me kindly guide me here.
OPTION 1. To get a good receiver like yamaha 3067 pioneer or denon which supports Dolby true HD Dts Ma Aux in etc. Pair with Polk audio RM 6750 or wharfedale movies 70 or BA s 5.1 or Yamaha. Budget 50-60k.
OPTION 2. I have old 4 Sony speakers of component system 2 front 3 way and 2 surround one way. Get any of the above AVR and pair them with these Sony speakers initially and then add centre and sub if required if Sony speakers pairs without much hiccups. The front speakers has impedance of 8 ohms and can take 8 to 16 ohms as per specifications, the surround one way has impedance of 16 ohms. The component system was 90+90 RMS continuous power.
OPTION 3. I have 5.1 Altec Lansing entry level pc speakers attached to pc. But 7 year old pc is giving lot of problems now so I am using my old dell laptop and pc speakers are lying almost unused. can I connect it with DAC? DAC generally has 6 rc out ports 2 each for front and surround and one each for centre and sub. However my pc speakers Subwoofer has 3 input that is for front, surround and 3rd for centre and sub. And there are 5 out clip type connections each for fr fl Sr sl and centre. These speakers are sufficient for my 9x10 bedroom but may not be sufficient for 9x18 living room.

Now please help me build my home theatre system. I want to go with option 2 first. If the Sony speakers don't give me good result then I may switch to option 1.
A friend of mine is going to Singapore within few days. I can ask him to bring AVR for me. Or should I ask him to get 2 bookshelf and purchase other sprakers here if option 1 is only suitable.
Thanks Sanjay.

OPTION 2. I have old 4 Sony speakers of component system 2 front 3 way and 2 surround one way. Get any of the above AVR and pair them with these Sony speakers initially and then add centre and sub if required if Sony speakers pairs without much hiccups. The front speakers has impedance of 8 ohms and can take 8 to 16 ohms as per specifications, the surround one way has impedance of 16 ohms. The component system was 90+90 RMS continuous power.

If I was also in your place this is the option I would like to consider. But if you provide me the model number, It will be good to suggest.

OPTION 3. I have 5.1 Altec Lansing entry level pc speakers attached to pc. But 7 year old pc is giving lot of problems now so I am using my old dell laptop and pc speakers are lying almost unused. can I connect it with DAC? DAC generally has 6 rc out ports 2 each for front and surround and one each for centre and sub. However my pc speakers Subwoofer has 3 input that is for front, surround and 3rd for centre and sub. And there are 5 out clip type connections each for fr fl Sr sl and centre. These speakers are sufficient for my 9x10 bedroom but may not be sufficient for 9x18 living room.

DAC usually have 2 RCA output or a 3.5mm o/p. So not sure DAC+speaker will serve your purpose as it will never give the 5.1 signal. Again buying a DAC other than a USB DAC will be a overkill for you. You may look into these DACs : Dragonfly. CA Soundmagic XS etc....

If I was also in your place this is the option I would like to consider. But if you provide me the model number, It will be good to suggest. ....

Thanks, your reply has reassured my option 2. The component system is Sony MHC GR8, the speakers of which are same as GR9 of which I have downloaded a manual and quoted the specifications of speakers. I shall search for the manual at home though.
How much should be the price difference here and in Singapore. For Yamaha I shall get discount.

Don't have any idea about import duty and price in SGD. But probably your amplifier will be out of warranty in India if bought from Singapore. Rest voltage is same. But wait for other FM's opinions.

The 2nd option looks really nice but......hang on......
This way is the most prefered and fun to do but the more expensive way of going around building your home theater. At first it seems to be quite simple and cheaper too. You only need to add a center and subwoofer and your 5.1 package is ready. But to be frank in some time you will feel like upgrading your fronts to something better. You then cash on the fronts. Get good floorstanders or bookshlef speakers for fronts. Next you will feel that the sound from the surround speakers does not match the sound coming from the center and fronts. When this happens again you feel like upgrading to better surrounds. This process is actually a lot fun and exciting but its kind of the most expensive one. Rather my suggestion would be to
1. Get a good AVR
2. Get a good pair of fronts. Maybe Bookshleves or even better Floorstanders
3. A Center speaker must definately be of the same brand and even series as your fronts
4. Buy a subwoofer(THIS can be purchased later too but for movies this is mandatory to feel the rumble as this will handle the LFE signals from your movies.)
5. Continue using your sony bookshelves as surrounds and then replace them when you have the budget for it.

If you want to avoid these so called hassles. You go ahead and buy a decent package which is available in the market readily. ONKYO has recently introduced the HT-S5700 which makes complete sense for around 50-55k.

Would not really recommend the OPTION 3.
AND OPTION 1 seems like the satellite combos really wont blow away the onkyo set or the step by step method of OPTION 2.

The 2nd option looks really nice but......
You go ahead and buy a decent package which is available in the market readily. ONKYO has recently introduced the HT-S5700 which makes complete sense.
AND OPTION 1 seems like the satellite combos really wont blow away the onkyo set or the step by step method of OPTION 2.

Thanks all for detailed reply. I have read that onkyo avrs are having heating issues. Is it true? Because my living room does mot have AC though has good ventilation. Otherwise when I started researching I first thought of onkyo then moved on. I have not auditioned any onkyo yet.

As other FM have pointed out, Option 2 is good... Re use whatever speakers you have... In your budget of 60K, I would suggest you spending 30K on AVR from Singapore....

I would not suggest buying internationally since onkyo has stated the no repair and no warranty for internationally bought products slogan recently. Visit their website and you will know more. If you are ready for the risk then go in for the onkyo reciever from singapore. But if any issues were to come up then you would be left with no service from onkyo india. Even paid service would not be possible then. However buying internationally can save you big bucks:D

As far as import is considered I may go for AVR of yamaha pioneer or denon and not onkyo.
I am inclined toward bringing speakers from Singapore rather than avr since there r more chances of something going wrong with avr than speakers.
As suggested I may bring front bookshelf and centre and use existing as surround and get yamaha avr here.. I have to audition yamaha speakers yet. I think sound quality of bookshelf of polk wharfedale yamaha with similar specs should be similar.

Presently I am going to get Yamaha 577 avr. If possible polk bookshelf and centre combo.
Should not bookshelf have tweeter?
Then let's see how things progress.

Would recommend denon avr if you are interested in Polk as they match the best. Take decision accordingly
That's why when I went to Profx worli Mumbai for audition they had polk audio rm 6750 mated to denon x 500. They sounded convincing in music as well as movies. Speakers cost 35k without discount. 15 % discount could be given.
I am going for Yamaha receiver and Speakers, but not auditioned yet.
Also BA Sound ware S (not xs) and Wharfedale Moviestar 70 also sounded equally good though listened in 2 1 set up not in 5.1 at Heera Panna.
In BA satellites midrange and twitter are in small cabinet I don't know how. Generally they are arranged one above other in cabinet. Also BA satellites were having plastic cabinet however they were sufficiently heavy also it may not affect sound quality. The person also showed me Jamo compact satellite like BA and in fact recommended me, but did not auditioned it.
Let's see how it progresses.

Apart from Yamaha which speakers shall go well with Yamaha AVR?
Here in India I am getting discount on Yamaha through someone so for warranty I may get AVR here, speakers of other brand can get from Singapore. One of my friend is leaving today night for Singapore for 3 days. Can ask him to bring speakers 2 bookshelf and centre.

Last edited:
Apart from Yamaha which speakers shall go well with Yamaha AVR?
Here in India I am getting discount on Yamaha through someone so for warranty I may get AVR here, speakers of other brand can get from Singapore. One of my friend is leaving today night for Singapore for 3 days. Can ask him to bring speakers 2 bookshelf and centre.
Ask your friend to go and see alot of shops in the adelphi building in sg and can also check out b&w along lavender road..

My friend did not find Yamaha speakers thus time in Singapore. So in couple of months when he goes again i shall ask him for Polk or Harmon kardon speakers. There was some 1st prime ministers anniversary or something so he could visit very few places. Most of shops were having LG SAMSUNG speakers at the most Harmon Kardon and other names he can't recollect. Yamaha being sourced from Japan were exxpensive and could not be found. For the time being I am going for Yamaha 577 avr. Shall use existing 2 sony soeakers and then add other centre Subwoofer and surround speakers.

My friend did not find Yamaha speakers thus time in Singapore. So in couple of months when he goes again i shall ask him for Polk or Harmon kardon speakers. There was some 1st prime ministers anniversary or something so he could visit very few places. Most of shops were having LG SAMSUNG speakers at the most Harmon Kardon and other names he can't recollect. Yamaha being sourced from Japan were exxpensive and could not be found. For the time being I am going for Yamaha 577 avr. Shall use existing 2 sony soeakers and then add other centre Subwoofer and surround speakers.
Frankly speaking not many of us in local singapore would go for yammy speakers cos they are cheap low end and not very good in build quality.. but there are audiophiles here who love the vintage yamaha ns1000m speakers and such.. you can find yamaha speakers in courts stores and best denki and audio house and harvey norman... polk audio can be found in the adelphi and sim lim square... while for harmon kardon, jbl and infinity you need to go to marsiling industrial park where the local dealer is located.. you can easily google their address..

Frankly speaking not many of us in local singapore would go for yammy speakers cos they are cheap low end and not very good in build quality.. but there are audiophiles here who love the vintage yamaha ns1000m speakers and such.. you can find yamaha speakers in courts stores and best denki and audio house and harvey norman... polk audio can be found in the adelphi and sim lim square... while for harmon kardon, jbl and infinity you need to go to marsiling industrial park where the local dealer is located.. you can easily google their address..

Thanks a lot dear for your time and efforts. I have done bit more reading and not going for Yamaha speakers. Only yamaha avr rxv 577. Then as suggested by some one here going step by step but little expensive way.
Shall use my existing sony speakers as front. May add centre and sub. Then i shall add front bookshelfs in the course of time and move sony to surround. Just read in what HiFi that our FM favourites Dali Zensor1 have been dethroned as top contender by Wharfdale Diamond 220 and Q Acoustics 2020i in affordable range of Rs. 25000. So I have set my ears on them so shall have matching centre speaker. My friend may go to Singapore in this month or next month. Has to check the price difference and availability.

Thanks a lot dear for your time and efforts. I have done bit more reading and not going for Yamaha speakers. Only yamaha avr rxv 577. Then as suggested by some one here going step by step but little expensive way.
Shall use my existing sony speakers as front. May add centre and sub. Then i shall add front bookshelfs in the course of time and move sony to surround. Just read in what HiFi that our FM favourites Dali Zensor1 have been dethroned as top contender by Wharfdale Diamond 220 and Q Acoustics 2020i in affordable range of Rs. 25000. So I have set my ears on them so shall have matching centre speaker. My friend may go to Singapore in this month or next month. Has to check the price difference and availability.
Glad you are making changes..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back