Building a box for KEF Ci130ER in-wall speakers

bansalp

I am currently on the hunt for wall-mountable surrounds to go with my KEF Q series front soundstage.

I have the option to buy a pair of open-box (but new) KEF Ci130ER for about 8k.

As per KEF's website, the minimum cabinet volume is 0.42 cu ft and ideal is 0.71 cu ft.
If a build a box of 14" x 8.25" x 8" (H x W x D), that gives me a volume of 0.53 cu ft including the volume of the MDF and speaker. I don't have the option the increase the size any further.

I am also considering a box size of 14" x 8.25" x 5" and then add 2 ports like the ELAC Debut On-wall.

I don't have prior speaker building experience.

I am under the impression that if I do this, I just have to build a box, fit the speaker to the box and do some wiring for binding posts. That I will not have to look into any of the electronics and crossover.

I have some woodworking experience and all the tools required to build the box. If i can build the box out of wood, then i also have all the raw materials required except the binding posts and ports for the box.

Are my assumptions reasonable?
Is this something i should look more into or will it result in a very bad speaker?

Last edited:
The stock crossover is developed considering a sort of infinite baffle. If you mount it on a baffle that is not infinite, the crossover will need to be reworked.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back