Building a cheap HTPC.

I am new to the PC hardware, & I am planning to build my FIRST desktop PC :yahoo: . I would appreciate if you advice if I assemble it or buy a branded one. I have a max budget of 35k. This PC would be mainly used to watch Movies, browse, basic work on MS office, some games (Not the high end ones) & Music
Appreciate if you tell me the best config I should be looking at, at this budget. I don't mind even if its a branded one.

Processor AMD Processor Athlon II X3 425 @3.5K
Mobo Biostar A780G M2+SE @2.7K
RAM Kingston etc... 2GBX1 DDR II 800mhz @2.2K add one more module of 2GB when bit more affordable
GPU XFX HD 4850 XXX 512MB DDR-III @6.4K
Sound card Asus XONAR-DX @4.5K
HDD WD 1TB SATA 64MB Cache @3.6K
DVD Writer any SATA @1.1K
Display Benq G2200 @7.5K
Keyboard+mouse Logitech @0.6K
PSU Gigabyte 80+ 460W @2.2K
Cabinet Zebronics bizli 1.3K (without PSU)

I assume you own a good pair of speakers in case you don't then configuration could be like that

Mobo Biostar TA785GE 128M @3.7K
RAM Kingston etc... 2GBX1 DDR II 800mhz @2.2K add one more module of 2GB later
GPU on-board is a good enough @nothing extra
HDD WD 1TB SATA 64MB Cache @3.6K
Display Benq G2200 @7.5K
Cabinet iBall i2511 @1.3K (normal 400W SMPS included)
Speakers Altec Lansing MX- 5021 @6.5K

OR

RAM Kingston etc... 2GBX1 DDR II 800mhz @2.2K add one more module of 2GB later
GPU Zotac GT220 1GB DDR3 @4K
HDD WD 500GB SATA 32MB Cache @2.2K
Display Benq G2200 @7.5K
Cabinet iBall i2511 @1.3K (normal 400W SMPS included)
Speakers Altec Lansing MX- 5021 @6.5K

Last edited:
RAM Kingston etc... 2GBX1 DDR II 800mhz @2.2K add one more module of 2GB when bit more affordable

RAM from different manufacturing lots is prone to have timing issues leading to instability and crashes. Always buy all the RAM chips you need from the same lot which means from the same retail strip pack. Hence you should avoid buying one now and one later.

You need two sticks to take advantage of faster dual-port memory read-write access

Cheers

RAM from different manufacturing lots is prone to have timing issues leading to instability and crashes. Always buy all the RAM chips you need from the same lot which means from the same retail strip pack. Hence you should avoid buying one now and one later.

You need two sticks to take advantage of faster dual-port memory read-write access

Cheers

One can easily find same timing n even brand later so it is a no big issue yes DDR II performs best when used in dual mode but by not a great margin so 2nd 2Gb module can be easily postponed for later purchase when get bit more affordable.

hai surender if you want the pc for htpc,select the MB which is having the digital out(either coaxial or spdif) along with the hdmi out put.like asus M3N78EM. iam using it for htpc from its hdmi and using its optical out(if i listen only music) it is very good,one word excellent. no need to add any sound card or graphics card.dont compromise on MB.
regards

Brother I don't know where he can use digital out as I assume he is not going to use any sound processor apart from sound card in PC neither MX 5021 have one but yes if he can attach an AVR or active speaker system which own digital in then this mobo can be considered.

One can easily find same timing n even brand later so it is a no big issue yes DDR II performs best when used in dual mode but by not a great margin so 2nd 2Gb module can be easily postponed for later purchase when get bit more affordable.

Sorry you are wrong. You will get the same timing specs, but they will still be slightly mismatched. Performance varies by manufacturing lot of the silicon.

It is of more concern if you wish to overclock - this is when things are going to break more quickly. You may get lucky if you dont overclock.

Regards

Sir for all of you one stupid question here..... You have all talked somuch about a PC on this thread....... I kind of lost on 2 points...

1 ) Is the monitor going to be the LCD TV

2) Can the HTPC replace an AVR / AMP ? ( Spending so much money on sound cards and graphic cards)

Sorry if the Q was previously answered.

Kittu.

Sorry you are wrong. You will get the same timing specs, but they will still be slightly mismatched. Performance varies by manufacturing lot of the silicon.

It is of more concern if you wish to overclock - this is when things are going to break more quickly. You may get lucky if you dont overclock.

Regards

Dude I understand your point but please read crn12's query first he is a novice n I don't think his requirements demands any overclocking with any of my suggested setups.

OK either he can go with 1X2GB but then that will consume both slots so no scope for upgrade later on or he can go with 2X2GB (with higher prices then it should be) which will violate his given budget as well or he have to downgrade some other specs to stay in his budget which could be more performance hampering then upgrading a 2GB module later and he can get 2nd module with more reasonable price later.

Sir for all of you one stupid question here..... You have all talked somuch about a PC on this thread....... I kind of lost on 2 points...

1 ) Is the monitor going to be the LCD TV

2) Can the HTPC replace an AVR / AMP ? ( Spending so much money on sound cards and graphic cards)

Sorry if the Q was previously answered.

Kittu.

Sir please read crn12's query first.

Dude I understand your point but please read crn12's query first he is a novice n I don't think his requirements demands any overclocking with any of my suggested setups.

OK either he can go with 1X2GB but then that will consume both slots so no scope for upgrade later on or he can go with 2X2GB (with higher prices then it should be) which will violate his given budget as well or he have to downgrade some other specs to stay in his budget which could be more performance hampering then upgrading a 2GB module later and he can get 2nd module with more reasonable price later.

I dont really think you understood. Like I said, you may get lucky not to have instability. You may also get unlucky. Kindly stop arguing in order to have the last word.

Why do you need 4gbfor an htpc? If possible get 2x1gb now if available at good price. HD playback requires the benefit of better memory access. For example the 780G chipset boasts of full HD playback at 50% cpu only with 1066mhz memory and not with DDR2 800 RAM. So speed of memory access is important. No point buying a 16 valve dohc engine and putting it on bull-o-cart wheels.

regards

Hello Gays,

any commants on this Mobo:
ASUS AT3N7A-I
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

this has Intel Atom Processor builtin as well as NVIDIA ION Chipset...
work with less power consumption
perfact solution for Small Size HTPC
what do you suggest.

Hello Gays,

any commants on this Mobo:
ASUS AT3N7A-I
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

this has Intel Atom Processor builtin as well as NVIDIA ION Chipset...
work with less power consumption
perfact solution for Small Size HTPC
what do you suggest.

I'm not Gay, I am straight. Hence I will not comment :eek:hyeah:

PS: And I will take it that anybody who responds to your question with a recommendation is Gay! :)

Cheers

:lol:

Nothing like a good typo :)

Not, of course, that it would make any difference --- as appreciation of good music is far greater than mere considerations of race, gender, or sexual preference :D

Can I just add (and then not another word... promise!) that, although matched RAM is certainly the ideal, I have upgraded very many PCs with unmatched without any noticeable ill effect. Perhaps it does make a difference how hard one drives the machine.

My own PC has unmatched memory --- and lots of problems! But memory has been eliminated as the cause of any of them by running with each sim alone.

sorry friends.....

i didnt mean that.....:sad:
but still your comments are welcome.

Last edited:
it does not appear to have 802.11n wireless. One pci slot will be taken by a card like Asus Xonar Essence. No further room for upgrades.

I would get a 785G mobo with AMD cpu ending with part number BE for energy efficient 45W TDP like 400E or 600E. This will give upgrade options for the same price. You can undervolt it with a proper silent cooling fan to run with low heat output quietly.

Regards

but certain HTPC cases have PCI ext (for horizontle placement of cards) and for wireless there are USB options are available ( 802.11n is very much vendor specific it works but does not gave recommanded speed, as i am aware about )

it does not appear to have 802.11n wireless. One pci slot will be taken by a card like Asus Xonar Essence. No further room for upgrades.

I would get a 785G mobo with AMD cpu ending with part number BE for energy efficient 45W TDP like 400E or 600E. This will give upgrade options for the same price. You can undervolt it with a proper silent cooling fan to run with low heat output quietly.

Regards

@gobble
will you recommand any good mobo for intel side with good graphics... did not require wireless in that :D. but will upgrade sound card and GPU later...

@gobble
will you recommand any good mobo for intel side with good graphics... did not require wireless in that :D. but will upgrade sound card and GPU later...

intel does not have any with good onboard graphics to my knowledge. Nothing that can play 1080p without frame drops stuttering etc. Eventually you will want to stream multimedia sooner than later hence dont get a mobo that will not let you add wireless + high performance sound card.

Ultimately you want fullHD with very low cpu power utilization for an htpc hence most products can be ruled out.

Go by the mass market products acknowledged as successful like 785 or 790 as someone recommended.

Regards

intel does not have any with good onboard graphics to my knowledge. Nothing that can play 1080p without frame drops stuttering etc. Eventually you will want to stream multimedia sooner than later hence dont get a mobo that will not let you add wireless + high performance sound card.

Ultimately you want fullHD with very low cpu power utilization for an htpc hence most products can be ruled out.

Go by the mass market products acknowledged as successful like 785 or 790 as someone recommended.

Regards

well :sad:

then suggest good modo = asus or gigabyte (not the 10k one but a decent one :D)
and processor too. :eek:hyeah:

Back