Burn High Quality Audio CD from MP3s

mvasu22

Folks,

Is there any special S/W which would allow me to burn audio CDs from my MP3 collections.

Agreed that MP3 with higher bitrate would give me better quality but most of my MP3 collections are with 128/192 bitrate. Only the new ones come with 320Kbps.

Is there something that I can do to create a good HQ Audio CD, most of the songs are 80s collection.

Thanks

Irrespective of what you do or what software you use, there is no way you can convert a lossy MP3 to loss less high quality audio CD. Attempts are a sheer waste of time.

Cheers

check dfx audio enhancer - you can use the WinAmp plugin version and write "improved" files to disk.

Is there any special S/W which would allow me to burn audio CDs from my MP3 collections.
There are several software programs which will burn Audio CDs from MP3. Nero probably being the easiest one since you would have got that with your CD or DVD Recorder.

Is there something that I can do to create a good HQ Audio CD, most of the songs are 80s collection.
This is a slightly difficult and objective question to answer. The answer depends on what your perception of a good HQ Audio CD is. If the answer is to hear the hi's and lo's properly, probably by using equalizer settings, this can be achieved. But if you want to have good spatial orientation from your Audio CD, faithful reproduction of the original, I don't think that can be done . Simply because the information is lost. The bitrate of an Audio CD is 1411.2 ( from the spec ) . However, your MP3 have bitrates of 96 - 320 . So the balance bits have been lost. Many of us don't know what to look for in a good stereo ( at least I don't ) . Thats because we haven't heard a live performance..Its only when we listen to a live performance and later on hear the same performance on a audio system will we know what is missing.

the cds you will create like this will NOT sound better than mp3s. The only outcome of this will be that you will be able to play this music on a system that cannot handle mp3s, but can handle cds. You actually might loose some quality due to the conversion process. e.g. You might be able to see this if you convert mp3 to cd to mp3 some 20 times and then play it. I think you will hear much worse quality music.

There are several software programs which will burn Audio CDs from MP3. Nero probably being the easiest one since you would have got that with your CD or DVD Recorder.

This is a slightly difficult and objective question to answer. The answer depends on what your perception of a good HQ Audio CD is. If the answer is to hear the hi's and lo's properly, probably by using equalizer settings, this can be achieved. But if you want to have good spatial orientation from your Audio CD, faithful reproduction of the original, I don't think that can be done . Simply because the information is lost. The bitrate of an Audio CD is 1411.2 ( from the spec ) . However, your MP3 have bitrates of 96 - 320 . So the balance bits have been lost. Many of us don't know what to look for in a good stereo ( at least I don't ) . Thats because we haven't heard a live performance..Its only when we listen to a live performance and later on hear the same performance on a audio system will we know what is missing.

Even before I raised the question I was well aware than MP3 is a lossy compression and in compression we loose data. The only idea for me to raise this question in this forum was to know if there are ways to substitue those lost data and try to create a little better sounding information.

So I guess the answer is NO and also trying to do it is a waste of time (as venkatcr quoted) but would like to research on this and in case stumble upon something will update this thread, else there is nothing more to discuss on this topic.

Thanks all for the help.

Even before I raised the question I was well aware than MP3 is a lossy compression and in compression we loose data. The only idea for me to raise this question in this forum was to know if there are ways to substitue those lost data and try to create a little better sounding information.

So I guess the answer is NO and also trying to do it is a waste of time (as venkatcr quoted) but would like to research on this and in case stumble upon something will update this thread, else there is nothing more to discuss on this topic.

Thanks all for the help.

Do two wrongs make one right??? I don't think so.

Good luck.
murali

like so many people say - here is a song for you:

guzra hua zamana, aata nahi dobara, haafiz khuda tumhara.
Data lost is not going to come back 100% unless you own the original CDs/ LPs also.

Well information lost in mp3 converision cannot be recovered during CD reconversion.

OTOH, it can be guessed to a good degree [that's my guess]. That's what "compressed audio enhancer" algos must be doing, that are there in some receivers. I am sure once a hi-end audio manufacturer includes them in their processor, everyone will go wild about it.

like so many people say - here is a song for you:

OTOH, it can be guessed to a good degree [that's my guess]. That's what "compressed audio enhancer" algos must be doing, that are there in some receivers. I am sure once a hi-end audio manufacturer includes them in their processor, everyone will go wild about it.

While browsing through on enhancement of audio media I accidentally bumped to this site. I cannot understand this paper on Quality enhancement of compressed audio but wanted to let others know that there are some research being done to make this a venture commercial success but still in a very nascent stage. Hope they succeed.

Site URL: Quality Enhancement of Compressed Audio Based on Statistical Conversion

Hope it helps someone in this group.

I have very good quality mp3s of my fav artiste, and they sound almost (or actually) better than the original CD except for the frequency extension in upper side and the sense that information is missing.

The possible reason for this is that CD transport limitation is not dominant when reading packetized and buffered data of mp3 encoding. Redbook audio CD data is a continuous stream were timing is very important, but mp3 CD is burnt in data CD format...

HTH

I have very good quality mp3s of my fav artiste, and they sound almost (or actually) better than the original CD except for the frequency extension in upper side and the sense that information is missing.
How were these ripped? Which s/w? Which encoder was used? CBR or VBR? At what bitrate?

How were these ripped? Which s/w? Which encoder was used? CBR or VBR? At what bitrate?

Actually these appear to be studio mastered mp3s. For a short while these were available for download on the artistes webpage http://www.susheelaraman.com/ and I downloaded about 5 albums directly from the artiste website.

The page is under maintenance currently.

HTH

that was my point. You can use statistical methods/ smooth the edges or similar algos to "guess" the missing data. This is when doing it for free.
We are guessing people's second names on our portal for those who have not entered it.

Another service could be that people download a small program [imagine itunes or wmp] to their desktop that goes through your entire mp3 collection, and gives you an option of downloading the higher rez versions from their store. Those who are already purchased from the store get charged lesser money or for free, and others get charged a small amount. It will also act as an opportunity for someone to convert illegally downloaded music to a legal copy in a matter of mins.

Stevie Jobs/ Ballmer, are you listening? I think there could be huge money trapped in such shared/ downloaded mp3s. At least give an opportunity for people to be on the right side of law.

While browsing through on enhancement of audio media I accidentally bumped to this site. I cannot understand this paper on Quality enhancement of compressed audio but wanted to let others know that there are some research being done to make this a venture commercial success but still in a very nascent stage. Hope they succeed.

Site URL: Quality Enhancement of Compressed Audio Based on Statistical Conversion

Hope it helps someone in this group.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back