Buying a 42" Plasma.

If anybody is interested, please read the latest issue of India Today's Gadgets & Gizmo's Magazine. It has a hilarious article on why LCD's are better than Plasma's.
I just learnt from the article that Plasma TV's can only support 720P :p So much for research!

Hi flared,

Now I have to doubt about "India Today's Gadgets & Gizmo's Magazine". Truly hilarious the jokers we have working in so called tech magazines. Plasma's starting with 50" screens have 1,920 x 1080 i.e. Full HD. Panasonic VIERA TH-50PY850H (my other choice) available in India does so. India Today did you say? Jokers are living a millennium behind not in India today (pun intended). No offense meant, but I rest my case.

Then I guess that they are not using the HDMI cable to connect to the FHD TV. I think they are using only a component cable or even a composite cable, which can never output 1080p.

Totally correct reju. Component cables cannot output 1080p. I had to carry my HDMI cable for the 2nd round of testing since everyone does their displays on default RCA or maybe Component. Only a couple of TVs were connected with HDMI cables that I came across in most shops...

Hi flared,

Now I have to doubt about "India Today's Gadgets & Gizmo's Magazine". Truly hilarious the jokers we have working in so called tech magazines. Plasma's starting with 50" screens have 1,920 x 1080 i.e. Full HD. Panasonic VIERA TH-50PY850H (my other choice) available in India does so. India Today did you say? Jokers are living a millennium behind not in India today (pun intended). No offense meant, but I rest my case.

Yes! I guess he/she did all the research in a Sony World Showroom :D

Your Plasma = 786432 pixels
720p movie = 921600 (max)
LCD 720p = 1049088

Why not take full benefit on 720p movies in LCD? I feel the pixel advantage over your plasma is a prime estate!

Internet speeds increase at very fast pace my friend. 2 years back I could not think of downloading 720p, Today I can do average 5-8gb per night. Thanks to MTNL triband. And today I have over 500 HD movies!

Wow reju! Now I am jealous. I can do a max of 3 GB a day on my Tata Indicom. Guess Hyderabad is still a long way behind Mumbai in this area. I totally agree with you. HD is the way to go and even I have started with H.264 rips to begin with. Only too bad no dedicated DVD/Divx player that plays H.264 format yet. Have to output them via my PC to the TV.

PS: Now I really envy you for your 500 HD movies.

reju said:
AbhY, what I don't understand is that if you find LCD picture better then why you want to settle for a Plasma? Or did I understand you wrong?

I guess you are excited by the bigger size and lesser cost for Plasma.
Well as the saying goes...bigger is not always the better!

Well, as i said, i expect to get better PQ from plasmas in dimmer light. I can arrange for this kind of light easily at home any time.
I also discovered just yesterday, that Plasma doesn't show "squares" in SD signals, especially in fast movements, which is an additional advantage in them.
And moreover, the model of LCD i was comparing it with, was a bit too advanced, so i afford to forget that advantage upto a considerable extent.
And yes, i'm excited about a 42 Plasma screen, because -
1) Distance of viewing might go upto 5 meters, as i'll be carrying out some furniture changes soon.
2) I know it's not technically profitable, but I love that "WOW" factor from neighbors :D
3)Cant even think of 42" screen LCD in budget. (Previously when i said i liked a Sony 40" LCD model costing 63K and in my budget, i was a bit too excited...now i know that it's actually out of my budget! lol)

reju said:
Everyone will have different opinions, it will give you an insight how different people can look at same thing differently, and also get chance to learn a few things from them.

Agreed 100% :)

reju said:
But I firmly believe that finally only if YOU are FULLY satisfied, that you should go for it
That's right, but I guess that's a bit difficult for me when i consider things in so much of details. "LCD v/s Plasma" is not a "Dhoni v/s Pietersen" . All have their advantages and disadvantages. Just my opinion though.

reju said:
Your Plasma = 786432 pixels
720p movie = 921600 (max)
LCD 720p = 1049088
Why not take full benefit on 720p movies in LCD? I feel the pixel advantage over your plasma is a prime estate!
Internet speeds increase at very fast pace my friend. 2 years back I could not think of downloading 720p, Today I can do average 5-8gb per night. Thanks to MTNL triband. And today I have over 500 HD movies!

Then I guess that they are not using the HDMI cable to connect to the FHD TV. I think they are using only a component cable or even a composite cable, which can never output 1080p.

Thanks for giving more ideas....don't seem to be wrong, and that's why, no offense....but i'm not that optimistic about them now.....i'll find myself only in more confusion if i consider them at this moment. I already have made my mind up for plasmas for the second time now after a lot of considerations and "re-considerations". I'm about to say HELLO to "the end" of Patience.

And, big thanks to Moserw. Panasonic has just scored more points in my mind now.

Panasonic 42PV8 (Rs. 48K)??
here u r getting this price?
I am frm mumbai that is why I am asking it.
Yes, it's right. Taking about the Borivali branch of Vijay Sales. Goregaon (east) branch of Vijay Sales had 49K strangely. Sry, didnt answer you yesterday, forgot it, had a lot else to say.

At the end of the day, i'v decided to compare Panasonic 42PV8 with Samsung 42A410, only if i'm lucky enough to get such a shop for doing it side by side. If i cant, I'll go with Panasonic.

good plan! you won't regret it, i can assure you. I have had my plasma for some 3 months now, and there is no appreciable increase in my electricity bills (from a prior situation of no TV whatsoever!). So i don't think the consumption should be too much of a worry.

At the end of the day, i'v decided to compare Panasonic 42PV8 with Samsung 42A410, only if i'm lucky enough to get such a shop for doing it side by side. If i cant, I'll go with Panasonic.

And, big thanks to Moserw. Panasonic has just scored more points in my mind now.

You are welcome. Have a great time and hours of enjoyment from your new TV, whichever way you go!!!

Samsung 410 is good too. Unfortunately, it was not available when I did my rounds, only 450 was available, but it was a good 15-18K more than the Panasonic so it ruled itself out for me.

reju,

No offense meant here, but what you are saying is like how can an entry level Yamaha RX 100 CC beat a 250 CC Yezdi, but it did and totally beat the crap out of a bigger and more powerful vehicle. Plasma and LCD are different technologies and you cannot draw a parallel between them based on just contrast ratio or anything else.

Oh yeah! I also wanted to mention the entry level plasma panels of Panasonic are Made In Japan and not Taiwan or some other 3rd world country so I guess that's why despite being entry level they perform so much better. Sony to my knowledge (open to correction here) gets their LCD panels from poor chinky 2nd cousins Korea i.e. Samsung, not the superior Japo variety.

Before we start or end up in an argument I rest my case...

One again no offense meant to anyone!

Yezdi?? Isn't a Yamaha bike already better than a Yezdi?? :rolleyes:
Sony X series is made in Japan.
Yes, let's not start an argument. ;)

I know it's not technically profitable, but I love that "WOW" factor from neighbors :D

Yes, that's your driving factor ;)
Happy flaunting!

But I just hope they don't say "Yaar teri TV badi hai lekin kuch dum nai hai!" ;)
Just kidding!:D

Wow reju! Now I am jealous. I can do a max of 3 GB a day on my Tata Indicom. Guess Hyderabad is still a long way behind Mumbai in this area. I totally agree with you. HD is the way to go and even I have started with H.264 rips to begin with. Only too bad no dedicated DVD/Divx player that plays H.264 format yet. Have to output them via my PC to the TV.

PS: Now I really envy you for your 500 HD movies.

3Gb is also ok. Is it free? any limits? MTNL has night unlimited plan.

I have connected my Elektron media player to external LG DVD writer (Rs.2K). So it works out something like a dedicated h.264/avc1 player!;)

3Gb is also ok. Is it free? any limits? MTNL has night unlimited plan.

I have connected my Elektron media player to external LG DVD writer (Rs.2K). So it works out something like a dedicated h.264/avc1 player!;)

Oh yeah, 3 GB is good. I remember when I was on 64 kpbs unlimited just a couple of years ago and it took ages to d/l anything. Now I am on 24 hours unlimited at 384 kbps. Other plans at 512 kbps and 1 mbps are with limited d/l so of no use. My sister in US watches movies via streaming them online instead of d/l them. I think she is on 20 mbps. Only wonder when we will get there.

Need to check out the Elektron media player... I am looking for something similar.

Last edited:
Well Abhy

Yes Plasma's are meant for home theater and are meant to be viewed in dark , thats when you will see their true real life pictures. Lcd's are better for very bright areas.

From the day i have my Q9 Sammy plasma , i always view it in dim lights and even today i love the picture quality.

I think you should go for Pv8 and close the deal, with SD it offers the best black levels and picture quality, you will not regret your decision.

Looking at too many sets would confuse and will not help making the decision,
Just look at your pocket and whatever gives you the max bang for your buck just go for the same ...

moserw -

i have a 512 kbps bsnl unlimited connection, i am able to download a max of 4.3 gb per day. one 700 mb avi file takes less than 4 hours to download.

I also wish the day comes when we get 2 mbps unlimited speeds :)

MTNL offers this for 15k/ month. Much much cheaper to opt for night unlimited @ 850/month
Reliance broadband offers 1 MBPS @ Rs2999 unlimited DL (offtopic)

Anyway, I've been using 42 PV8 for 3 months. No increase in electricity bills at all. According to what I have read, power consumption in a plasma depends on brightness of the pictures being displayed, hence even though the stated power consumption is 330W max, it consumes only 100-200W on an average. While a LCD always consumes fixed amount of power which may be in the range of 100-150 W.

Thanks all.

Well, still no luck finding shops to compare PV8 and A410 side by side.

I'll like to confirm if the normal original DVD playback, and the "700MB DVD-RIPS" available from torrents, etc......(as i asked earlier)are they SD signals only? (i think i know the answer, but confirmation will be better). If yes, this means the PV8 will do that better too, compared with the Samsung, right?

Last edited:
Thanks all.

I'll like to confirm if the normal original DVD playback, and the "700MB DVD-RIPS" available from torrents, etc......(as i asked earlier)are they SD signals only? (i think i know the answer, but confirmation will be better). If yes, this means the PV8 will do that better too, compared with the Samsung, right?

All DVD rips in Divx are SD as with normal DVDs. HD rips will be labeled H.264 and will be in GB not 700 MB (I have come across 7 GB rips).

More importantly AbhY, check if your DVD player will upscale Divx content to 768 or 1080. Some players will upscale only DVD media and not Divx content or else not do too good a job with Divx content. Also, present day h/w of DVD/Divx players will not play the H.264 codec files. You will need to connect PC to TV to watch such content.

Last edited:
Good, so Panasonic wins, again. This time, for DVD playback.
The samsung is 6.5K costlier. Am giving the final green signal for the Panny :)

Well, and my DVD player is a very basic one....some Samsung model i purchased more than 2 years ago...doesnt even have DiVx and 5.1 channel support. I'm going to upgrade it, after a few weeks, along with a decent sound system (5.1 channel most probably). And this 6.5K difference looks good enough to add in this sound system budget, coz the budget is already around 10-12K, which is very low i guess.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Well Abhy, agree with Moser on the same.

You are making the right decision in going for the Pana, later on you can buy any good upscaling dvd players and enjoy the picture quality.

Good, so Panasonic wins, again. This time, for DVD playback.
The samsung is 6.5K costlier. Am giving the final green signal for the Panny :)

Well, and my DVD player is a very basic one....some Samsung model i purchased more than 2 years ago...doesnt even have DiVx and 5.1 channel support. I'm going to upgrade it, after a few weeks, along with a decent sound system (5.1 channel most probably). And this 6.5K difference looks good enough to add in this sound system budget, coz the budget is already around 10-12K, which is very low i guess.

AbhY,

For 18K to 20K you can get Onkyo HT-3100 or HT-3105 both entry level, but very good HT systems. In fact I got the 3100 with a Philips DVD player free that does upscaling to 1080p so look out for something similar especially if you have Croma, Reliance Digital, X-Cite, E-Zone, etc. This will get you the HT system and the DVD player to go along nicely with your new TV.

Well, thanks all, i'v gone ahead with the Panasonic deal, havn't got it delivered yet because of all the chaos my city is facing at the moment. Just wanted to say that i'll be putting my Computer off for a month :( as i'll be having my exams in a few days (i'm still a student now).....so i cant reply and thank you all after i get the TV immediately. I'll get back later.

Looking for years of Great Video Experience.

So, again, thanks, and cya all later. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back