Buying a 42" Plasma.

AbhY,

For 18K to 20K you can get Onkyo HT-3100 or HT-3105 both entry level, but very good HT systems. In fact I got the 3100 with a Philips DVD player free that does upscaling to 1080p so look out for something similar especially if you have Croma, Reliance Digital, X-Cite, E-Zone, etc. This will get you the HT system and the DVD player to go along nicely with your new TV.

Please audition the Philips HTS 4750 - this is clearly the BEST HTiB out there and will absolutely KILL the Onkyo - or any other brand!

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...N_CONSUMER/DVD-home-theater-system+HTS4750-98

Does it have multiple digital inputs? As I already have dvd/ media player etc.

Does it have multiple digital inputs? As I already have dvd/ media player etc.

As i said in my other post,

The manual says it has 3 inputs.
1. TV IN (Connecting audio from TV)
2. AUX IN (Connect the audio output from an audio/video device (e.g. VCR, Cable/Satellite Box))
3. Digital IN (Coaxial cable)

Thanks,
Prakash

Hi all again! Havn't started my computer yet, replying from my mobile GPRS......coz of some urgency lol.......
Well, some more thinking to do :(
I postponed the panasonic deal to 2 weeks coz of the terrorist attacks, but just before i was about to order it, i came across dad's friend who went to Dubai yesterday and asked me on his own if i'll like to get the tv from dubai instead.....didnt really want to, but i had to rethink when he told a few things.....
1) Duty has been cut off
2) Dubai stalk is supposedly of better quality as majority is imported from Japan
3) Cheaper price
4) Warranty is internationalized

I dont agree with the 2nd point much, as i think all branded companies have same quality products worldwide.
And i dont know if it's gonna be cheaper overall when you add the transportation cost to it.
So, first i need to decide if i shud really try to get it from dubai.
What are your views about buying from dubai?

4) Warranty is internationalized

You most definitely re not going to get that! I have not seen anyone honouring the so called 'international' warranty.

Transport might set you back - the package is some 36-40kgs ... You need to see how much you will save over the Indian prices .. and see if its worth it.

All the best!

Finished confirming the details. Dubai prices are excellent. And the cost of "transportation + other charges" still makes the total price attractive even though it will be 30% of the price of the TV. And i'll get warranty as well.
I dont believe it, but i'v to reconsider the TV models yet again because of the price change.
(I'm sorry to bother you all again, and i know i'm making a lot of twists and turns throughout, but it's my first LCD/PLASMA tv and i just want to put the half lakh on the best thing out there)
I'll be purchasing it from Jumbo Electronics, Dubai
Well, they don't have a Panasonic PV8, but i'm getting a Sony 37" LCD TV (KLV-37S400) for 54k only. This is including the cost of TV (which is just 41K there) + transport & extras (which is 30% of 41K). In Mumbai, it's costing 60K. And if i'm successful, i might be able to cut the transportation cost by around 4K to 10K cutting the total to 44K to 50K. I'm yet to find about Samsungs. Not sure if they are available there. I'll post back about them.

I'll like to add that i'm now loving the "better performance in bright light" feature of LCD's because i'm buying the TV for my living room, and i'm renovating this room at the moment. It's going to have a big window on one side which is not going to be too far from the TV as in the picture below. And it's 5 feet in height, which is definitely big. I believe it will affect the picture from plasmas a lot.

I'm considering the "Sony" model again only because it not out of my of my budget anymore. I loved it's clarity even more than all the Plasmas.
And also, i'm a Sony fan since childhood lol.

So, overall, what do you think about the deal? Any quick review on this Sony KLV-37S400 or any topic pointing to it?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
If you REALLY think that the Sony LCD TV is better than the comparable Plasma TV, then you should go for it.

Finished confirming the details. Dubai prices are excellent. And the cost of "transportation + other charges" still makes the total price attractive even though it will be 30% of the price of the TV. And i'll get warranty as well.
I dont believe it, but i'v to reconsider the TV models yet again because of the price change.
(I'm sorry to bother you all again, and i know i'm making a lot of twists and turns throughout, but it's my first LCD/PLASMA tv and i just want to put the half lakh on the best thing out there)
I'll be purchasing it from Jumbo Electronics, Dubai
Well, they don't have a Panasonic PV8, but i'm getting a Sony 37" LCD TV (KLV-37S400) for 54k only. This is including the cost of TV (which is just 41K there) + transport & extras (which is 30% of 41K). In Mumbai, it's costing 60K. And if i'm successful, i might be able to cut the transportation cost by around 4K to 10K cutting the total to 44K to 50K. I'm yet to find about Samsungs. Not sure if they are available there. I'll post back about them.

I'll like to add that i'm now loving the "better performance in bright light" feature of LCD's because i'm buying the TV for my living room, and i'm renovating this room at the moment. It's going to have a big window on one side which is not going to be too far from the TV as in the picture below. And it's 5 feet in height, which is definitely big. I believe it will affect the picture from plasmas a lot.

I'm considering the "Sony" model again only because it not out of my of my budget anymore. I loved it's clarity even more than all the Plasmas.
And also, i'm a Sony fan since childhood lol.

So, overall, what do you think about the deal? Any quick review on this Sony KLV-37S400 or any topic pointing to it?

So here you are still in no man's land;)

Sony S series is not good. In Sony go for at least V series. But only 32", 40" etc. NO 37". If you want 37" go for Samsung.

Shopping from Dubai is not a great idea. There are reasons. 1. Sony will NOT accept any international warranty. Confirm with Sony here in Mumbai.
2. There's risk of damage to TV during transportation. And maybe other un-forseen risks say customs duty works out more than expected?

Check the grey market (Alfa), they sell quite cheap. Ex: Sony S series 37" is about 52K only.

Good luck!

This is including the cost of TV (which is just 41K there) + transport & extras (which is 30% of 41K). In Mumbai, it's costing 60K

If I understand correctly, for 6K you are going through the hassle of getting this TV from Dubai and foregoing the warranty? Personally I would just get this set from Mumbai and maybe even negotiate a bit lower 2-3 K should get you closer to the deal.

So here you are still in no man's land;)

Sony S series is not good. In Sony go for at least V series. But only 32", 40" etc. NO 37". If you want 37" go for Samsung.

Shopping from Dubai is not a great idea. There are reasons. 1. Sony will NOT accept any international warranty. Confirm with Sony here in Mumbai.
2. There's risk of damage to TV during transportation. And maybe other un-forseen risks say customs duty works out more than expected?

Check the grey market (Alfa), they sell quite cheap. Ex: Sony S series 37" is about 52K only.

Good luck!
lol if 32" and 40" is OK, why not 37" in Sony? :confused:
Alpha dont have it in stocks since a month. And i'm not a grey market fan.

lol if 32" and 40" is OK, why not 37" in Sony? :confused:
Alpha dont have it in stocks since a month. And i'm not a grey market fan.

Sony: I said 32/40 in V series. 37" come only in S series. S series is inferior.
Then there are more superior series viz., W (again NO 37") & the best: X (starts from 40").

Getting Sony from Dubai is same as grey market. In fact here in grey at least you can check if the TV is in one piece & working fine. :D

I'll have to confirm it from Sony anyways.....i will, if i get the time and revert back.

reju said:
S series is inferior
I got you the first time, but what's it that makes this 37" "S-series" inferior? Didnt see anything bad while it was on display compared to V-series except a VERY MINOR brightness/contrast difference.

I found the S Series to be having less depth/ sharpness and also a hazy picture. If you have eyes to gauge the difference you will see it.

Finally I always believe that you have to believe your own eyes. If you are satisfied with certain TVs then nothing stops you from making the decision.:cool:

Well, I've canceled the Dubai deal.
I should better buy the PV8.

Can i get last few doubts solved now? (Don't worry,these are last for sure ;))

1) Does the screen in PV8 reflect a lot of day light coming from windows? As i said i'm constructing a big window near it, it's cause of my worry. Putting curtains down every time will be annoying.
2) Why do i always find a huge difference in brightness between all the LCD's and the PV8 in showrooms? PV8 goes extremely dull in front of them, and literally each one of them. I know people say it shows up better at home. But can anyone elaborate on that? I have a lot of light in my living room now at day. Will the LCD lead here with it's brightness in bright rooms?

Hi
What is lowest price quote for PV 8 in Mumbai?? Where???( location?)
Also have you considering LG Pg 21 @ vijay sales @ 45 K??

HemantWaghe said:
What is lowest price quote for PV 8 in Mumbai?? Where???( location?)
Also have you considering LG Pg 21 @ vijay sales @ 45 K??

Havn't seen anyone offering PV8 less than 48K in Mumbai. And this was in Vijay sales, Borivali (W), and Alpha (Irla). I'v compared the Price with Sony Mony and Croma as well. These 2 are quite costly incase of the Panasonic.
And yes, LG 42PG21 is costing 45K at the same branch of Vijay sales.

Another Good Deal :-

SONY 40" KLV-S400A

Full HD 1080p with Bravia 2 engine : 63-64k Vijay sales price

exchange possible.

Regards

1) Does the screen in PV8 reflect a lot of day light coming from windows? As i said i'm constructing a big window near it, it's cause of my worry. Putting curtains down every time will be annoying.
2) Why do i always find a huge difference in brightness between all the LCD's and the PV8 in showrooms? PV8 goes extremely dull in front of them, and literally each one of them. I know people say it shows up better at home. But can anyone elaborate on that? I have a lot of light in my living room now at day. Will the LCD lead here with it's brightness in bright rooms?

Abhy you have raised a very imp point.

A LCD is back-lit; hence it is shining outwards.

A plasma is made of glass panels with no ligthing from behind;on contrary, the plasma REFLECTS anything that is in front of it. And if there is light source like a window, forget about getting any viewable picture qulity.
A plasma is better suited in a HT room where lighting can be controlled and most users agree it has to be wathced in DIM/ LOW LIGHTS.

regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back