Buying a 42" Plasma.

Another good deal :

Philips 42" LCD 7482 :

Full HD 1080p with 8000:1 contrast

Available in few shops , rare model(?discontinued); very good quality panel.

Price : 54-59k ( depending on shop).

regards

Last edited:
Another not so good deal :

LG Plasma 42" :

Vijay sales offer : Rs 44,990/- net without any exchange.

Vijay says the Hz rate of this panel is 600 as compared to 400 rate of most.

Can't say anything about the panel quality...

regards

Thanks for the info

Another Good Deal :-
SONY 40" KLV-S400A
Full HD 1080p with Bravia 2 engine : 63-64k Vijay sales price

I have talked about this model in this very topic in comparison with PV8 already. It's fine, but the price in Vijay Sales, Mumbai is in 70K's. It's the Sony KLV-40S310a (i managed to find it, even though it's rare and discontinued model, i think) which is costing 63K in "Next" showroom.
Are you sure?

Philips 42" LCD 7482 :

Full HD 1080p with 8000:1 contrast

Available in few shops , rare model(?discontinued); very good quality panel.

Price : 54-59k ( depending on shop).

@ 54 K --In Mumbai??? Which Shop please?
Baazi please help

The Philips rate i got in pune at Huns Electronics.
Call Shalin 9922967963.

regards

I have talked about this model in this very topic in comparison with PV8 already. It's fine, but the price in Vijay Sales, Mumbai is in 70K's. It's the Sony KLV-40S310a (i managed to find it, even though it's rare and discontinued model, i think) which is costing 63K in "Next" showroom.
Are you sure?

the model of sony is Sony 40" KLV-40S400A .

In fact it is a current/latest model in S series.
MRP is 72k...... discounted price is 64-67k.

regards

I'm not taking talking about MRP either and that rate was just 20 days ago.
Looks strange.....may be prices went down.

Vijay says the Hz rate of this panel is 600 as compared to 400 rate of most.

Can't say anything about the panel quality...

I only want to comment on the frequency of the 2 panels. LG's claim of 600Hz is still being reviewed since they might have come up with creative ways to do it.

Now generally speaking, you want to look at frequency rates that are multiples of 24. This is because all movie frames (including imax and imax HD) are displayed at this rate and it creates a smooth transition so you don't see any blur effects (this is based on the time our brain processes images). DVDs are generally created with 30 frames per second transitions. This is one of the reasons that DVDs dont look as smooth as movies.

I only want to comment on the frequency of the 2 panels. LG's claim of 600Hz is still being reviewed since they might have come up with creative ways to do it.

Now generally speaking, you want to look at frequency rates that are multiples of 24. This is because all movie frames (including imax and imax HD) are displayed at this rate and it creates a smooth transition so you don't see any blur effects (this is based on the time our brain processes images). DVDs are generally created with 30 frames per second transitions. This is one of the reasons that DVDs dont look as smooth as movies.

Why are they in multiples of 24?
And DVD's dont look smooth? Didnt get you

Why are they in multiples of 24?
And DVD's dont look smooth? Didnt get you

I have to go a bit in history and slightly technical to explain this. 99% of hollywood movies (being the biggest market at one time ) are recorded at 24 frames per second and then each frame is displayed as 2 sets of 12 frames twice [(2*12) * 2] before the next frame is picked. In effect, movies in theaters are displayed at 48Hz.

Traditionally the TV frequency was 60 Hz to match the frequency of wall sockets. So to show a movie on TV, you had to display the frames in an irregular pattern like this to fit the 60 Hz

Fr1 repeat 3 times, (12*3) = 36
Fr2 repeat 2 times (12*2) = 24

Fr3 repeat 3 times
Fr4 repeat 2 times and so on...

Enter DVDs with 30 fps and it fit very nicely in the 60Hz freq.

Everyone was happy ...for some time. Now the TV manufacturers thought they will get smart and started supporting frequencies that were multiples of 24 since a higher proportion watch movies on TV using satellite/cable vs. DVDs. So you see freq of 72 Hz etc.

Now the DVDs are taking a hit as they have to play a magic to show up effectively on such TVs leading in the process to what is called as " after image", i.e, you are thinking about a previous scene even though the pic might be showing the next one. A good example of this is the animation DVDs as their transitions are not smooth.

To make the matters even worse, Blu Ray players store their images in 24 fps. So DVD shows are getting pushed even behind. Hence my suggestion in the first place.

sorry this might be technical for a lot of people but I don't know to explain in any better way.

Very well explained. I understood every word, except one.

99% of hollywood movies (being the biggest market at one time ) are recorded at 24 frames per second and then each frame is displayed as 2 sets of 12 frames twice [(2*12) * 2]
U put one "*2" extra by mistake? Or did i understand wrong?

Very well explained. I understood every word, except one.

U put one "*2" extra by mistake? Or did i understand wrong?

No the calculation was correct to get the 48 Hz (2*12) = 24 (*2) = 48

This technique was used before the days of interlacing (the i) in 480i or 1080i, where an intermediate frame is a mix of the preceding and suceeding one. But that is another long conversation.:)

Well, fate has asked me to turn towards PV8, again. I'm going to get the PV8 within the next 24 hrs. Anyone wants to comment more about this?
AbhY said:
1) Does the screen in PV8 reflect a lot of day light coming from windows? As i said i'm constructing a big window near it, it's cause of my worry. Putting curtains down every time will be annoying.
2) Why do i always find a huge difference in brightness between all the LCD's and the PV8 in showrooms? PV8 goes extremely dull in front of them, and literally each one of them. I know people say it shows up better at home. But can anyone elaborate on that? I have a lot of light in my living room now at day. Will the LCD lead here with it's brightness in bright rooms?
I've decided to somehow cope up with this issue. After all, everything has their advantages and disadvantages

Last edited:
Hi all! My first post here :)

Well, i'm looking for good 42" Plasma TV's. I went looking for good models in a Sony Mony showroom and also a Vijay Sales Showroom yesterday and then, after looking at the forums, have shortlisted these.

1)Panasonic 42PV8 (Rs. 48K)

2)Panasonic 42PV80 (Costing a bit more than PV8)

3)Samsung PS42A410C1 (Rs. 54,500)

4)LG 42PG21 (Rs. 45K)

5)Samsung 37A450 (It's actually a LCD model worth Rs. 56K)

Didnt think about this 4th option (Samsung LCD) earlier, but it really caught my eye in the showroom and i dont want to increase my electricity bills.
The PV80 was not considered by me earlier too, until i read in other websites that it actually is a very good model, though i thought the extra bucks weren't worth if compared with PV8.
The LG model was placed besides the Panasonic PV8, and didnt feel any difference in display quality with a Big TV signal input.

And there have been some comparisons between Panasonic PV8 and Samsung A410 on these forums, but they were 2-3 months ago. Fresh Opinions FTW! And unfortunately, Vijay Sales Store didnt have this Samsung, and Sony Mony store didnt have this Panasonic, that's y, couldn't compare them side by side.

Viewing distance is going to be 3 to 4.5 meters. 3 metres is not too less for the plasma, right?
And actually, 37" TV is enough, but i want that "WOW" expression from neighbours! :D.

I'm going to use Tata Sky signal (SD) for 80% of time. Rest 20% for DVD Movies. I know the Panasonic one leads over the Samsung Plasma while viewing SD signal, and vice versa for HD viewing. I think it'll take long time for me to get any kind of HD signal home.

As i already mentioned, i'm concerned about the difference in Power Consumption between the Samsung LCD and the 3 Plasmas. Plasma's eat a lot of power :( But any idea as to how much exactly? I'll use the TV for an average of around 2-3 hrs daily tough. 10-15% more consumption wont be an issue. Please compare the case with a normal 21" CRT TV if possible.

And, how much is the warranty period? Because i have some places here, where you can get it without warranty, and you save 4-6 in it. Does it look like it's worth? (It definitely will, if the warranty period is just 1 yr)

I want good inbuilt sound quality too.

Last question, is there a Computer Input (VGA or SVGA) in each of these models? i might try it ocassionally.

And btw, you can suggest any different model too, costing not more than 60K.

Thanks.
hi,all though am never a fan of plasma /lcd displays, i hav seen the pana PV8D in reliance digital i thnk it out did almost all the other displays out there ,and it was the cheapest (50k)--highly recommended,,( NOTE--the other lcd models where much brighter than the PANA ,but it outdid the others in color/black/and over all pic quality ,and also when viewed with the lights off the PANA was the brightest!!!)

hi,all though am never a fan of plasma /lcd displays, i hav seen the pana PV8D in reliance digital i thnk it out did almost all the other displays out there ,and it was the cheapest (50k)--highly recommended,,( NOTE--the other lcd models where much brighter than the PANA ,but it outdid the others in color/black/and over all pic quality ,and also when viewed with the lights off the PANA was the brightest!!!)

subhash,

You are probably going to make a lot of pro LCD guys mad, but you are absolutely right. To my eyes at least the PV8 outgunned everyone else and with its price being so low compared to others its practically a steal. If anything the PV8 and my other Panasonic 29" CRT have converted me into a Panasonic fan so much that yesterday I bought my third Panasonic TV, but this time an LCD 32".

subhash,

You are probably going to make a lot of pro LCD guys mad, but you are absolutely right. To my eyes at least the PV8 outgunned everyone else and with its price being so low compared to others its practically a steal. If anything the PV8 and my other Panasonic 29" CRT have converted me into a Panasonic fan so much that yesterday I bought my third Panasonic TV, but this time an LCD 32".

hi ,actually it was for one of my frnd who wanted to pik up an lcd 37/42" i had gone along ,but out of all 30/40 models mounted on the wall this particular model outshined the rest, only later on enquiring it was the PANA 42PV8D and tht too it was PLASMA!! and let me tell u it totally kicked the shit out of the other displays when the lights where dimmed!!! this has left my frnd totally confused and hes gone bak to re do his home work,and the best part, this was the cheapest of the lot!!!

Well, i'll be purchasing the TV tomorrow morning.
Now, i just got back after visiting Vijay sales once again, to confirm if PV8 was available to avoid any possible problem, as tomorrow's day is auspicious for buying new stuff. And guess what? They got PV8's toughest rival, the Samsung A410 put up right besides it. I actually went inside the store for just 2 mins, and came out after an hour lol, as i couldn't really stop myself from comparing them. At last, I'm happy i got them compared very well, side by side and to my satisfaction. I couldn't have been more lucky when i got a polite and a very co-operative and patient staff member helping me out with each of my requests.

I'll like to share my experience after looking at them intensely for 45 minutes, with every kind of signal fed to them and changing settings every 2-4 minutes -

I'll compare PQ in 2 aspects (Colors and Brightness/Liveliness) for each signal type (SD and HD)

SD signal (Big TV and DVD) -

1) Colors - Samsung failed. Person's face getting too red, football field not looking natural, etc.
Same thing on Panny came out a bit better.
Samsung = 65/100 ; Panasonic = 75/100

2) Brightness/Liveliness - In spite of making a lot of changes in settings, putting Samsung's settings higher, it still looked less lively and dull. Panasonic put up more life inside. Something like increasing your mobile display brightness by 2 levels, if there are 10 in all.
Samsung = 55/100 ; Panasonic = 70/100

HDTV signal (Big TV and DVD) -
I made it sure they used component cable for it.

1) Colors -
Everything seemed very natural, and extremely perfect on the Samsung. I was really amazed, as i havnt really seen any TV put up such amazing colors before. I literally went "thirsty" when i saw the water on miami beach.
No TV was really going to catch the Sammy here and Panasonic was not an exception.
Samsung = 90/100 ; Panasonic 65/100

2) Brightness/Liveliness -
Sammy won. It showed up almost same brightness as the LCD's even in the bright showroom. Big difference again, compared with panny. Looking at panny after Samsung was as like turning your mobile phone's display brightness by massive 5 levels.
Samsung = 85/100 ; Panasonic = 60/100

So, considering averages,

For SD signals, Samsung = 60/100 ; Panasonic = 72.5/100
For HD signals, Samsung = 87.5/100 ; Panasonic = 62.5/100

I don't understand how they can perform inversely for the 2 different signals. Seems like they are specifically tuned for it.
But, what i saw is same as others i guess. Earlier, I had read other people saying similar thing, Panasonic ahead in SD and Sammy ahead in HD. I'm glad I've seen it for myself now, and agree to it.

I would have loved good HD experience in future, but i'm more interested in SD at the moment.
So, as far as my choice is concerned, i'm going with Panny :) :) :) :)

One more thing. As usual, i didnt walk out of the store happily. Panasonic PV8 price at this same store got raised to 53.5K when it was 48K just a few days ago.
And guess the Sammy's price. 48K!!
Price got interchanged too! lol!
But i called up Alpha stores immediately, and they said it's 47K for PV8 :). That's why i'm gonna run to Alpha tomorrow and get one from there itself.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back