Buying a 42" Plasma.

AbhY

Hi all! My first post here :)

Well, i'm looking for good 42" Plasma TV's. I went looking for good models in a Sony Mony showroom and also a Vijay Sales Showroom yesterday and then, after looking at the forums, have shortlisted these.

1)Panasonic 42PV8 (Rs. 48K)

2)Panasonic 42PV80 (Costing a bit more than PV8)

3)Samsung PS42A410C1 (Rs. 54,500)

4)LG 42PG21 (Rs. 45K)

5)Samsung 37A450 (It's actually a LCD model worth Rs. 56K)

Didnt think about this 4th option (Samsung LCD) earlier, but it really caught my eye in the showroom and i dont want to increase my electricity bills.
The PV80 was not considered by me earlier too, until i read in other websites that it actually is a very good model, though i thought the extra bucks weren't worth if compared with PV8.
The LG model was placed besides the Panasonic PV8, and didnt feel any difference in display quality with a Big TV signal input.

And there have been some comparisons between Panasonic PV8 and Samsung A410 on these forums, but they were 2-3 months ago. Fresh Opinions FTW! And unfortunately, Vijay Sales Store didnt have this Samsung, and Sony Mony store didnt have this Panasonic, that's y, couldn't compare them side by side.

Viewing distance is going to be 3 to 4.5 meters. 3 metres is not too less for the plasma, right?
And actually, 37" TV is enough, but i want that "WOW" expression from neighbours! :D.

I'm going to use Tata Sky signal (SD) for 80% of time. Rest 20% for DVD Movies. I know the Panasonic one leads over the Samsung Plasma while viewing SD signal, and vice versa for HD viewing. I think it'll take long time for me to get any kind of HD signal home.

As i already mentioned, i'm concerned about the difference in Power Consumption between the Samsung LCD and the 3 Plasmas. Plasma's eat a lot of power :( But any idea as to how much exactly? I'll use the TV for an average of around 2-3 hrs daily tough. 10-15% more consumption wont be an issue. Please compare the case with a normal 21" CRT TV if possible.

And, how much is the warranty period? Because i have some places here, where you can get it without warranty, and you save 4-6 in it. Does it look like it's worth? (It definitely will, if the warranty period is just 1 yr)

I want good inbuilt sound quality too.

Last question, is there a Computer Input (VGA or SVGA) in each of these models? i might try it ocassionally.

And btw, you can suggest any different model too, costing not more than 60K.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey AbhY,

If you're going to watch 80% Tata SKy go for the PV8....looks like you're getting the best price for it too. The Samsung 410 should be available for around 50-52 if you look around. But for your use etc., the PV8 sounds ideal.

the LCD will consume about half the power of the plasma...yes the plasma is that much more hungry than the LCD. But is it worth spending 8k more for a 5 inch smaller screen size just to save on power?

Hi all! My first post here :)

Well, i'm looking for good 42" Plasma TV's. I went looking for good models in a Sony Mony showroom and also a Vijay Sales Showroom yesterday and then, after looking at the forums, have shortlisted these.

1)Panasonic 42PV8 (Rs. 48K)

2)Panasonic 42PV80 (Costing a bit more than PV8)

3)Samsung PS42A410C1 (Rs. 54,500)

4)LG 42PG21 (Rs. 45K)

5)Samsung 37A450 (It's actually a LCD model worth Rs. 56K)

Didnt think about this 4th option (Samsung LCD) earlier, but it really caught my eye in the showroom and i dont want to increase my electricity bills.
The PV80 was not considered by me earlier too, until i read in other websites that it actually is a very good model, though i thought the extra bucks weren't worth if compared with PV8.
The LG model was placed besides the Panasonic PV8, and didnt feel any difference in display quality with a Big TV signal input.

And there have been some comparisons between Panasonic PV8 and Samsung A410 on these forums, but they were 2-3 months ago. Fresh Opinions FTW! And unfortunately, Vijay Sales Store didnt have this Samsung, and Sony Mony store didnt have this Panasonic, that's y, couldn't compare them side by side.

Viewing distance is going to be 3 to 4.5 meters. 3 metres is not too less for the plasma, right?
And actually, 37" TV is enough, but i want that "WOW" expression from neighbours! :D.

I'm going to use Tata Sky signal (SD) for 80% of time. Rest 20% for DVD Movies. I know the Panasonic one leads over the Samsung Plasma while viewing SD signal, and vice versa for HD viewing. I think i'll take long time for me to get any kind of HD signal home.

As i already mentioned, i'm concerned about the difference in Power Consumption between the Samsung LCD and the 3 Plasmas. Plasma's eat a lot of power :( But any idea as to how much exactly? I'll use the TV for an average of around 2-3 hrs daily tough. 10-15% more consumption wont be an issue. Please compare the case with a normal 21" CRT TV if possible.

And, how much is the warranty period? Because i have some places here, where you can get it without warranty, and you save 4-6 in it. Does it look like it's worth? (It definitely will, if the warranty period is just 1 yr)

I want good inbuilt sound quality too.

Last question, is there a Computer Input (VGA or SVGA) in each of these models?

And btw, you can suggest any different model too, costing not more than 60K.

Thanks.

Psychotropic said:
But is it worth spending 8k more for a 5 inch smaller screen size just to save on power?

Thanks Psychotropic.

If it's double power consumer, then I'm scared i'll end up putting double of 8K inside 4 yrs for electricity bills. :eek:

And what about normal DVD (Not HD) playback in these 2 models? Is panasonic better here too?

And please talk about the LG model too, didnt see it at all on this site, unlike the PV8 and A410 which have been mentioned everywhere.

Still awaiting "overall deal" answers from more experts.

Thanks

I have a sammy q9 plasma and i haven't seen huge power bills, so ur plasma wont burn a hole with the electricity bill, pv8 is an excellent model and has no comparison at that price it is also cheaper , go for it.

There are already many posts on the forum so just search and read through them, to avoid replication of same answers to same questions ...

:)

Well, i just came back after visiting 4 different showrooms and i dont know if all this was a mistake, but i'm more confused now :confused: :(
I need even more help now :mad:

I'll explain my experience in detail for each place. Hope no one sleeps! :D

1) Alpha Showroom -

They didnt have any models on display but Price for Samsung 37A450 (Series 4 LCD i mentioned earlier) was 52K which isn't bad.

2) Vijay Sales (Goregaon)-

Here only Panasonic PV8 was available on display out of all the plasmas i was interested in. There was one plasma (Hitachi P42A01A [Costing more than 70K])to it's right, so had to compare the screen with it. I'm not an expert in comparing all the aspects of display quality, but i think the difference was very less, Hitachi was just 5-8% better. (I fiddled with the settings a lot actually, and got similar ones on both)
Then i compared the PV8 with an LCD (sony klv40s400a), which was at it's left, and to my disappointment, the SONY showed both, SD and HD signals better than PV8 :(
After that, i thought of comparing the Samsung 37" LCD i mentioned. What more?? The samsung won easily too! :mad:

3) "Next" Showroom -

No Plamas here. Just saw a Sony 40" LCD (Sony KLV-40S310A) for 63K! Display quality wasn't bad. My budget is not more than 55K-58K, but I have a special consideration for this brand. I still can afford it only because it's Sony.
Here's where a war started in my mind again, LCD or PLASMA! :mad:

4) Sony Mony Showroom -

As if these surprises weren't enough!
Only 2 plasmas available for display, Samsung PS42A450 (Although this model is not in my list, it's better than [Samsung PS42A410C1]) and LG 42PG21 -
I compared them a lot in details for around 45 mins. I dont think my eye had a problem, but LG won by miles. Clarity, Color Quality Reproduction, seemed much better than the Samsung, for both, SD and HD signals. I fiddled a lot with the settings of Samsung, still couldn't get LG's clarity. And did i mention that Samsung costed 60-62K and LG 45K?

Sorry guys, but i have a bigger problem now. I guess i should decide again, LCD or PLASMA! What are your views of the Samsung LCD and the Sony LCD i mentioned above? The ones which caused major the confusions! :( If i manage to get these models out of my way, LCD's are out of this confusion.
I dont know why i didnt come across these models earlier.
Buying a TV is becoming a very tedious job :mad:.

Anyways, I'm going to Borivali Branch of Vijay Sales tomorrow, where there's a Panasonic PV8 and the LG 42PG21 kept side to side. I'll get back with the results after comparing them.

I don't mean to put you off, but you maybe already aware that Plasma TVs are best suited in darkened rooms. Unlike LCDs, there's a lot reflection from the Plasma glass screen. So if you plan to keep in your living room, it may not be very convenient. If there is brightness around obviously the picture will look dull. Also it is best stick to manufacturers who are traditionally into Plasma TVs viz, Panasonic & Hitachi.

As per your budget & viewing distance (3-4m) Samsung 37" LCD is a good choice. It is slightly better than Sony S series.

Agreed that you have more of SD content (which suits Plasma) than the HD stuff. But do you plan to upgrade your TV soon? If not it is better to be a little future proof. As of day I feel one should go for 720/1080p resolution.

There's a rumor that Big TV will start HD on demand movies very soon. So things can change rapidly.

You could even hook up your PC/laptop thru HDMI/DVI or at least VGA port and enjoy HD (720/1080p) movies which you can download from internet. They look stunning on LCD.

I feel a real VFM quality TV is the FHD (1080p) Sony Bravia LCD "V" series 40". It's around 75k I guess.

Can I add my views in here and it is just my views and not hurting others views.

You should go for 37" or 40" LCD. Plasma s are good, they need some prerequisites like others have told you.
Your viewing distance is 12ft. And your concerns and others the max you can go is 40".
Full HD may not get your expectations till HD transmission at least your original DVD s will be brilliant. So get a full HD LCD TV.

Ideal VFM is samsung 5 series PQ wise no diff in 6 series.

Price wise you will be surprised with in few kms there may be one giving it less for 5k. It happened to me 7k!!!!!!!!!!
good luck

Last edited:
Agreed that you have more of SD content (which suits Plasma) than the HD stuff.

Are you sure? My experience was different.
AbhY said:
I compared the PV8 with an LCD (sony klv40s400a), which was at it's left, and to my disappointment, the SONY showed both, SD and HD signals better than PV8
After that, i thought of comparing the Samsung 37" LCD i mentioned. What more?? The samsung won easily too!

This is the most important question i need now, before i can proceed any further with a decision.

Reju said:
There's a rumor that Big TV will start HD on demand movies very soon. So things can change rapidly.

I feel a real VFM quality TV is the FHD (1080p) Sony Bravia LCD "V" series 40". It's around 75k I guess.

Well, i spent a lot of time finding a difference between 2 40" samsungs, one "full HD Output", and other "HD ready output"......both connected to a full HD signal. Didnt see any difference at all. I read a post somewhere by "Venkatcr" saying that it's difficult to differentiate it when TV screens are less than 42"
And your sony bravia, it's miles out of my budget.

Panasonic 42PV8 (Rs. 48K)??
here u r getting this price?
I am frm mumbai that is why I am asking it.

Are you sure? My experience was different.

This is the most important question i need now, before i can proceed any further with a decision.

Yes, this has been my brief experience. Though I did not study it for long, as I had very soon ruled out Plasma and started concentrating on different LCDs models itself. Finally I bought V series 32" 720p. Due to budget constraints and high cost on limited models available then for 1080p TVs.

Technically the resolution of entry level Plasma is lower than of LCD. Say around 1024x768 etc. So closer to the SD resolution of 640x480.
LCD starts at 1366x768. Hence you may see more pixels on LCD while watching SD stuff.

But nowadays the LCDs have better upscaling engines so it may eventually
outplay the entry level plasma TVs.

I think you should forget Plasma and settle for 37" LCD.
Otherwise you need to look at higher models in Hitachi if you want the advantages of Plasma (higher contrast ratio/ faster response time etc.).

Well, i spent a lot of time finding a difference between 2 40" samsungs, one "full HD Output", and other "HD ready output"......both connected to a full HD signal. Didnt see any difference at all. I read a post somewhere by "Venkatcr" saying that it's difficult to differentiate it when TV screens are less than 42"
And your sony bravia, it's miles out of my budget.

I could be possible it was playing 720p and not 1080p video at that time? the sales staff may not full aware of the content. But you also need to watch from close, say 2-3 feet away, if you want easily make out the difference/ sharpness in picture.

It's true 1080p clarity becomes evident for larges screens from 42" onwards, but it's very much dependent on the viewing distance. If you go further away may not find difference even for 52".

THX home theatre minimum Viewing Distance Calculator requires you to sit quite close to your TV. So you better have a high resolution TV & content!

Reju said:
I could be possible it was playing 720p and not 1080p video at that time? the sales staff may not full aware of the content. But you also need to watch from close, say 2-3 feet away, if you want easily make out the difference/ sharpness in picture.

No, i confirmed it with 2 different people from sales department, and one of them was the senior one. And i did similar comparisions in another branch of "Sony Mony" store few days ago.
And i checked it around 4 feet away, but what's the point if you will have to come so close to get the clarity? At home, there's no way i'll be watching it from less than 6 feet away.

And i'll like to add that i tried comparing a Full HD signal fed to
1) Some Plasmas (not the full HD ones, the lower resolution ones and 42")
2) Some LCD's supporting Full HD, 1080p, and 37" in size
And i still found it very difficult to find any difference between the clarity when viewed from a distance of 3 - 4.5 meters (same as my home)

Well, i just considered all points again, and think i'll go with Plasmas, due to following reasons -

1) The Vividness and Life i always found in LCD TV (which i found missing in Plasmas) is the main factor why i'm after them. But i saw all TV's only in highly lighted electronic stores. As many people say, plasmas perform much better in lesser light. I'll be putting it in my Living Room, but still can get the curtains closed.

2) Even though HD doesnt take a lot of time to get to India, i still think it will take long reaching my home because the charges are expected to be quite high initially. And also, as i've been informed Big TV will provide HD signal only for "Movie on Demand", not the regular channels.....or if not, very less number of regular channels.

3) The resolution of 1024 x 768 doesn't seem to be that bad. Like i mentioned earlier when i saw Full HD running in both TV types, my viewing distance of 3-4.5 meters just wont make the difference visible (if any)
And the HD movies downloaded from the internet....well, i can only think of downloading 720p, not the 1080p ones. And for 720p, resolution is 1280 x 720, which is less than maximum resolution of LCD, and not too high than Plasma's one. So, again, less difference. This will apply to Big TV HD signals too, if they are not Full HD ones.

Well, and as i said yesterday, i compared the Panasonic 42PV8 and LG 42PG21 today.
Again, a difficult comparison. (Not as easy as India v/s England :D)
They used a Big TV signal.
Initially, LG appeared to be having nice "more natural" kind of feel, with a yellowish tint. Panasonic seemed to be having deficiency of "yellow" color, but more "liveliness and vividness".
But after 15 minutes of continuous channel changing and minute detail watching, i eventually found out that LG had too much of yellow in it. In fact, Panasonic's "yellow" was better (even though slightly less than what i'll desire for).
I went through all the settings (Contrast, Brightness, Color, Sharpness, and TINT). The Vividness in Panasonic was present every time, independent of channel and settings.
But one thing in LG's favor - Dark Parts in video had better visibility in LG.

Still, over all, definitely Panasonic.

So, now, hopefully this is my last question -

Shall i compare Samsung PS42A410 with this Panasonic PV8?

I saw topics with people comparing these two, but couldn't really arrive to a lucid conclusion. And that was 2 months ago, may be some better ideas with some experience this time?
Or give me a link (for topics on this site itself, or any other) to their comparison, in case i missed some.

I already have compared the Samsung PS42A450 with the LG model yesterday, where, the Samsung one was a big Flop (For both type of signals, SD & HD)....but according to what i have read here, Samsung P410 (which has same display as A450) shouldn't be that disappointing actually. May be that Sales person somehow showed me something wrong....to promote the LG model which was in stock currently. Panasonic PV8 wasn't in stock with him & he knew Samsung one was out of question as it was out of my budget. We all know, everyone tries to make a customer purchase from their shop only in the end.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread religiously...

I went through the entire process of checking out LCDs and Plasmas and mind you with everything thrown at them in the form of DVDs, Divxs, audios, CDs, USBs, etc. In fact I was a staunch believer in LCD over Plasma because of all that I had read online and all the reviews, but the truth turned out different. Plasma's outperformed LCD in PQ! Also, there is no difference/very little difference between HD Ready and Full HD, at least to our naked eyes so really no difference between 768 and 1080p. This is borne out by most reviewers, tests, etc.

My personal take and after extensive testing of all available models was that Panasonic PV8 was the best. I am not saying this cause its cheaper, but it really did outperform all others. Only the Sony X series (LCD range) could compete with the Panasonic PV8 in terms of performance and PQ, but the 40" model costs 3 times as much as the Panasonic and even then Panasonic delivered better PQ.

Mind you I did extensive testing (along with a couple of friends) in every possible situation. We carried our own cables, DVD player, USB, movies on both of them and tested all TVs side by side with the same material and in the same lighting/conditions.

AbhY - Panasonic PV8 is truly VFM and a great performer. Just go for it. I have and no regrets whatsoever. Of course do consider that you will not be getting another TV for a while. Personally, I am waiting for Sony X series (LCD) prices to come down or something that performs comparably in the LCD range with Full HD and I will be getting that too and moving the Panasonic out of the bedroom into the hall. The Plasma's with Full HD are quite pricey and also only available in only very large screens. Nothing in the 37" to 42" which is what I want for my bedroom. The only thing you have to consider is whether you want to go with Full HD or if HD Ready at 768 is fine with you. As of today, not much difference between either of them!

Hopefully, my 2 cents help!!!

The Samsung 410 is a great TV (i own it myself), but if your viewing is mainly going to be tata sky, i think from all the reviews that I hvae read, the PV8 may be better suited. Anyway, both are very very close in terms of performance, and you can actually decide on the basis of price (and what goes best with your decor!)

AbhY, what I don't understand is that if you find LCD picture better then why you want to settle for a Plasma? Or did I understand you wrong?

I guess you are excited by the bigger size and lesser cost for Plasma.
Well as the saying goes...bigger is not always the better!

Everyone will have different opinions, it will give you an insight how different people can look at same thing differently, and also get chance to learn a few things from them. But I firmly believe that finally only if YOU are FULLY satisfied, that you should go for it.

My personal take and after extensive testing of all available models was that Panasonic PV8 was the best. I am not saying this cause its cheaper, but it really did outperform all others. Only the Sony X series (LCD range) could compete with the Panasonic PV8 in terms of performance and PQ, but the 40" model costs 3 times as much as the Panasonic and even then Panasonic delivered better PQ.

I am sorry to say, but this is impossible to believe. Maybe that particular X series model needed servicing:D There is no other way it can be out performed by an entry level Plasma panel!!:rolleyes:

If anybody is interested, please read the latest issue of India Today's Gadgets & Gizmo's Magazine. It has a hilarious article on why LCD's are better than Plasma's.
I just learnt from the article that Plasma TV's can only support 720P :p So much for research!

No, i confirmed it with 2 different people from sales department, and one of them was the senior one. And i did similar comparisions in another branch of "Sony Mony" store few days ago.
And i checked it around 4 feet away, but what's the point if you will have to come so close to get the clarity? At home, there's no way i'll be watching it from less than 6 feet away.

Then I guess that they are not using the HDMI cable to connect to the FHD TV. I think they are using only a component cable or even a composite cable, which can never output 1080p.

And the HD movies downloaded from the internet....well, i can only think of downloading 720p, not the 1080p ones. And for 720p, resolution is 1280 x 720, which is less than maximum resolution of LCD, and not too high than Plasma's one. So, again, less difference. This will apply to Big TV HD signals too, if they are not Full HD ones.

Your Plasma = 786432 pixels
720p movie = 921600 (max)
LCD 720p = 1049088

Why not take full benefit on 720p movies in LCD? I feel the pixel advantage over your plasma is a prime estate!

Internet speeds increase at very fast pace my friend. 2 years back I could not think of downloading 720p, Today I can do average 5-8gb per night. Thanks to MTNL triband. And today I have over 500 HD movies!

I am sorry to say, but this is impossible to believe. Maybe that particular X series model needed servicing:D There is no other way it can be out performed by an entry level Plasma panel!!:rolleyes:

reju,

No offense meant here, but what you are saying is like how can an entry level Yamaha RX 100 CC beat a 250 CC Yezdi, but it did and totally beat the crap out of a bigger and more powerful vehicle. Plasma and LCD are different technologies and you cannot draw a parallel between them based on just contrast ratio or anything else.

Oh yeah! I also wanted to mention the entry level plasma panels of Panasonic are Made In Japan and not Taiwan or some other 3rd world country so I guess that's why despite being entry level they perform so much better. Sony to my knowledge (open to correction here) gets their LCD panels from poor chinky 2nd cousins Korea i.e. Samsung, not the superior Japo variety.

Before we start or end up in an argument I rest my case...

One again no offense meant to anyone!

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back