Buying a new HT, some clarifications on connection options needed. Pls help !

vint

Hi All,

my first post on this forum. I'm looking for a good HTiB, and finally zeroed on sony davdz777

Given below are the in/outs supported.
Audio Line IN/OUT (Analogue) 2 /
Audio Line IN/OUT (Optical) 1 /
Audio Line IN/OUT (Coaxial) 1 /
Audio Input (Front, mini) 1
Video Signal IN/OUT (Composite) / 1
Video Signal IN/OUT (Component) / 1
Video Signal OUT (HDMI) Yes (1080p)

Some clarifications I need, can someone help me with this:

1. I've samsung 26" HDTV ready(1080i/720p). Can I still connect this with my TV using hdmi (1080p) ? Will my TV take care of downscaling ?
2. Can I connect my XBOX 360 to this using the optical cable and get 5.1 surround sound with my games ?
3. Since it has two analog audio in, can i connect my tata sky to this ?

Also, I've one more option in onkyo hts 5105, it costs around the same price, but I'm not sure if its very good for gaming / movies though. Any advice on this as well ?

Thanks very much in advance :)

Hi All,

my first post on this forum. I'm looking for a good HTiB, and finally zeroed on sony davdz777

Sony does not really deliver/sound great. Go with the Onkyo anyday especially for movies. Yamaha too is a great alternative, but I would stay away from Bose, Sony, Samsung, LG, and even Philips to a certain extent.

1. I've samsung 26" HDTV ready(1080i/720p). Can I still connect this with my TV using hdmi (1080p) ? Will my TV take care of downscaling ?

If AVR or DVDP do not do upscaling or downscaling then the TV will take care of it. It all depends on what signal is reaching the TV. I have found though that DVDPs and AVRs generally do a better job at upscaling. For upscaling (to 1080) you have to connect to TV via HDMI since Component Video will not upscale to 1080.

2. Can I connect my XBOX 360 to this using the optical cable and get 5.1 surround sound with my games ?

Yes you can. Any AVR that supports DTS/Dolby Digital will do it, but you will need digital coaxial/optical cable at the very least.

3. Since it has two analog audio in, can i connect my tata sky to this ?

Yes you can.

Also, I've one more option in onkyo hts 5105, it costs around the same price, but I'm not sure if its very good for gaming / movies though. Any advice on this as well ?

The Onkyo will rock for movies (I use one), not sure about games though since I use Creative 5.1 connected to my PC, but I don't see why not...

Thanks very much in advance :)

You are welcome!!!

Hi All,

my first post on this forum.

Welcome and have a great time here!

thanks for the reply moserw. That helps. yeah, onkyo (hts5105) is very good with movies. But it costs around 31k here in Bangalore, while I can get sony for around 25k, hence still indecisive on buying onkyo. I also heard it heats up a lot and consumes a lot of power ? Since you have it at your home, any comments on that ?

thanks for the reply moserw. That helps. yeah, onkyo (hts5105) is very good with movies. But it costs around 31k here in Bangalore, while I can get sony for around 25k, hence still indecisive on buying onkyo. I also heard it heats up a lot and consumes a lot of power ? Since you have it at your home, any comments on that ?

I will without hesitation recommend Onkyo to everyone at least for movies. 5105 costs more cause it has HDMI, but it does not do any audio processing only pass through. If you are ok with digital output via coaxial/optic fiber then 3100 or 3105 will be great VFM. For video you can output HDMI from DVDP to TV direct.

Finally, the extra 7K (if you go with 5105) on the Onkyo is worth every bit. You will enjoy years of great sound and never be disappointed with the output, but the same cannot be said of Sony. You might be happy or might not be with the Sony sound and by then it will be too late. Give both an audition especially side by side if possible. Your ears are the best judge.

I will without hesitation recommend Onkyo to everyone at least for movies. 5105 costs more cause it has HDMI, but it does not do any audio processing only pass through. If you are ok with digital output via coaxial/optic fiber then 3100 or 3105 will be great VFM. For video you can output HDMI from DVDP to TV direct.

Finally, the extra 7K (if you go with 5105) on the Onkyo is worth every bit. You will enjoy years of great sound and never be disappointed with the output, but the same cannot be said of Sony. You might be happy or might not be with the Sony sound and by then it will be too late. Give both an audition especially side by side if possible. Your ears are the best judge.

thanks, which is the onkyo model you are having ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back