Buying a Panasonic G25 50 Plasma TV from USA through shopyourworld.com

jtde

I am considering buying a Panasonic G25 50 plasma from shopyourworld.com or borderlinx

The 25 series is not available in India .I am getting a G25 series TV which is better than the current V20 series in India in terms of contrast (Infinite Black Pro Vs Infinite Black ) and other features like THX certification.
The total cost for door delivery in India will come to around 75K (66 K +9K for extra weight) from shopyourworld.com . In India V20 50 is available for more than 100K. So I am saving around 25K plus.

I understand that I will not be able to get a warranty in India. But with the saving of around 25K I am OK with it. I will be using a step down transformer and a DTH HD connection. I want to check with experts in the forum if they foresee any issues with my plan in terms of shipping , compatibility in Indian conditions or any other issue.

More details:
Insurance cost is included in the total price. It covers the original cost + the transpiration and custom charges. Not sure about how easy it would be to claim insurance in case there is any issue with the TV shipment.

I will be mostly using it for viewing TV (both SD and HD channels) and HD movies using WD live in the weekends.

My viewing distance is 11 feet . I am sure it is fine for HD content but not very sure about SD content from DTH.

While I was in USA I have previously owned Philips 32" LCD, Visio 42" LCD and Panasonic plasma 42" (x10). I found that plasma has more natural but less bright picture which is in accordance with my liking.

Please let me know if you foresee any issues with my plan of buying the TV from USA through Shopyourworld.com

You won't be able to view normal cable (PAL-NTSC issue).

I'd advise you to take a look at the Samsung 50" C550 though. It's always a gamble buying something like this from abroad.

Very dangerous choice to get a plasma of this size shipped from abroad mate.....u do understand that plasmas should not be kept lying down but kept vertically at all times, and it would be very difficult to ensure that with online purchase.

I had brought a TV with me when I returned to India after 2 years in the US.

The NTSC issue drove me nuts. The only solution I was able to find was a PAL to NTSC converter box which gave a dim, washed out image.

Finally, I gave up a bought new Samsung plasma here.

I would strongly advise against going down this route.

Folks, Thanks for your valuable inputs so far. My last post posted yesterday has still not been posted on the forum due to the fact that Mods take more than 20 hours to approve my post .

Mods: I am wondering, how can we have an interactive discussion and a unrestricted exchange of knowledge in this forum if each post is subject to approval, and approval takes around 20 hours ?

Imran: Thanks for bringing out a very important point. I talked to their customer service, per them they have so far delivered 4 plasmas in India without any issues. Moreover if there are any defects due to shipping the insurance would take care of it. I am still not convinced by their reply and will probably wait for some feedback from forum members on their experience in shipping plasma's from US.
asdflkg: the price quoted includes custom, tax, shipping and insurance.

argho: have you tried using a DHT connection , since the tuner is in the DTH box the TV just display the video content , i believe there should be any problem . Let me know if I am missing something.

argho: have you tried using a DHT connection , since the tuner is in the DTH box the TV just display the video content , i believe there should be any problem . Let me know if I am missing something.

I think it's not that straight forward. Apparently the digital signal also conforms to one of the frame rates supported by either NTSC or PAL. So either your TV should support both PAL or your tuner box should support NTSC output. You need to do some homework on this aspect, before you can decide to buy.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back