Buying HD6xx directly from Drop.com

samgurung

Hi all,

Am interested in the massdrop HD6xx headphones. They seem to be available on the drop.com website. With the promocode and shipping to India it is listed at 190USD. Was wondering if anyone has had experience buying from drop.com. Will I have to pay any custom charges etc if I order from the website? I dont have prior experience ordering online from foreign websites. Would appreciate any input.

Thank you,

You would most certainly incur a customs charge , could be bwtween 30-50$. Besides that there are no worries, you should get the item safely and in a good timeframe.

What setup would you he using you drive them , they are really picky on the amps and hence its important to buy an amp that syngerizes well

You would most certainly incur a customs charge , could be bwtween 30-50$. Besides that there are no worries, you should get the item safely and in a good timeframe.

What setup would you he using you drive them , they are really picky on the amps and hence its important to buy an amp that syngerizes well
Thanks! The amp is the other thing am looking at. Havent made up my mind as yet! Looking for an amp-dac to drive them.. Any suggestions? A good "budget" bang for the buck would be great!

I would suggest you to buy used in India itself or try to get it from the US Directly If u know anyone From US
customs charges are so hefty in india that you will endup paying for 2 headphones price!!

Hi @samgurung

I have purchased a very reasonable headphone called Koss Porta Pro which was around 17$ from drop.com directly from India. It took almost 4 weeks to reach. There is no tracking available for most of the time. And this shipping method was the only one available for 5$ at that point. It is quite frustrating to wait without tracking updates. For this, I had no customs charge at all maybe because the cost is just 17$ and India post has dealt with it.

On my recent trip to the US, I bought the HD 58x during the thanksgiving deals. This easily runs without an amp. I would suggest you research on https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice whether HD 6xx is better or the HD 58x. There are 100's of threads discussing the same. If you dont have a trip to the US in the coming days, it is better to look for a Sennheiser option in India equivalent to HD 6xx. I am not completely sure whether it is HD 650 or HD 600, but this link can help you -
Drop gives you a first-time user discount of 20$, make sure you use that when you buy an item from them.

The best budget amps that are constantly recommended are again US companies Schiit (basic models are Magi 3+ and Heresy) and JDS Labs Atom Amp. Both are 99$ + shipping and they ship internationally from the US and are said to be great for an affordable price. You can research further in the same Reddit group which is very good IMO for headphone advice.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi @samgurung

I have purchased a very reasonable headphone called Koss Porta Pro which was around 17$ from drop.com directly from India. It took almost 4 weeks to reach. There is no tracking available for most of the time. And this shipping method was the only one available for 5$ at that point. It is quite frustrating to wait without tracking updates. For this, I had no customs charge at all maybe because the cost is just 17$ and India post has dealt with it.

On my recent trip to the US, I bought the HD 58x during the thanksgiving deals. This easily runs without an amp. I would suggest you research on https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice whether HD 6xx is better or the HD 58x. There are 100's of threads discussing the same. If you dont have a trip to the US in the coming days, it is better to look for a Sennheiser option in India equivalent to HD 6xx. I am not completely sure whether it is HD 650 or HD 600, but this link can help you -
Drop gives you a first-time user discount of 20$, make sure you use that when you buy an item from them.

The best budget amps that are constantly recommended are again US companies Schiit (basic models are Magi 3+ and Heresy) and JDS Labs Atom Amp. Both are 99$ + shipping and they ship internationally from the US and are said to be great for an affordable price. You can research further in the same Reddit group which is very good IMO for headphone advice.

Hope this helps! :)
Awesome! Very helpful.. Thanks! Putting things on hold right now coz of the corona situation

If your use is for MP3s and from your phone/Laptop , you are better off with the 580 /590 as the 650 would be an overkill and not easy to drive
If you do use a headphone amp / FLACs the the 650 is far ahead and a more serious headphone. Even a Shanling UP2 and a Astel and kern XB10 can drive them very well.

There are enough reviews of both so you can take a call. I had bought the HD6XX and at that tome with Shipping+Customs was still cheaper than the HD650 in india by 10K and almost the same as an HD590 . So take your call based on the quality and use you prefer.

I was planning around the HD700 but forum member @kartikay helped choose and have been very happy

Hope you have read This Thread

Last edited:
If your use is for MP3s and from your phone/Laptop , you are better off with the 580 /590 as the 650 would be an overkill and not easy to drive
If you do use a headphone amp / FLACs the the 650 is far ahead and a more serious headphone. Even a Shanling UP2 and a Astel and kern XB10 can drive them very well.

There are enough reviews of both so you can take a call. I had bought the HD6XX and at that tome with Shipping+Customs was still cheaper than the HD650 in india by 10K and almost the same as an HD590 . So take your call based on the quality and use you prefer.

I was planning around the HD700 but forum member @kartikay helped choose and have been very happy

Hope you have read This Thread
How much customs did you have to pay?

@samgurung I had bought HD6xx from very first drop. For these kind of boxes Drop uses DHL (last mile is covered by India post). Customs paid was 7k on valuation of 15k. This is inline with what i have seen with shipments from drop. Only cases where people avoided customs were small items valued under $20-25.
I would recommend you be on lookout of hd6xx or HD650 (hd600 is not the same sounding as hd6xx).. And if you plan to for HD6xx please do geta decent desktop amp, these headphones scale alot..

@samgurung I had bought HD6xx from very first drop. For these kind of boxes Drop uses DHL (last mile is covered by India post). Customs paid was 7k on valuation of 15k. This is inline with what i have seen with shipments from drop. Only cases where people avoided customs were small items valued under $20-25.
I would recommend you be on lookout of hd6xx or HD650 (hd600 is not the same sounding as hd6xx).. And if you plan to for HD6xx please do geta decent desktop amp, these headphones scale alot..

Was looking at shipping from drop but was also hoping to ask someone coming from the us to get it for me. However now with the corona situation everything is on hold. If and when i do get them ill definitely get a decent amp... Just out of curiosity what amp are you using?

Was looking at shipping from drop but was also hoping to ask someone coming from the us to get it for me. However now with the corona situation everything is on hold. If and when i do get them ill definitely get a decent amp... Just out of curiosity what amp are you using?
Right now I have Sapphire v4, Whammy, Darkvoice 336se (GM Delco 6sn7gt, RCA 6as7).. working on an OTL amp for the same.. Best amp I have tried for HD650 was Apex Teton...

How did you pay the custom duty? Did you pay it online or to the postman from india post who delivered the parcel ?

How did you pay the custom duty? Did you pay it online or to the postman from India post who delivered the parcel ?
I had to goto post-office to pay the duty as it was on higher side. If custom value is less postman who delivers takes the payment in cash.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back