Buying my dream subwoofer: 1-1.5 Lakhs

I'm tagging @liverpool_for_life who is a user of Seaton subs and speakers to share his view on this.

Thanks, Rajith. +1 to what you said.

To the OP: I have the Seaton Submersives (master/slave setup). Unfortunately, my room dimensions and limited placement options have meant that I haven't heard their full potential yet. Working on adding room treatments and adding a couple of more Seaton subs (see below) to get my bass response to be better.

If you can stretch your budget to 1.5 L and are okay with a potentially long wait time, I'd highly recommend considering the Seaton Sound JS-12: https://seatonsound.net/product/js-12-subwoofer/

If you can find someone else that's interested, buy a pair (shipping should be the same as one) and split your cost of shipping.

Dear FMs,

Please see the current list of equipment I own. I love the sound I get from these but it's upgrade time.

My requirements:

1. Sound quality: Want highly detailed, controlled & smooth bass. Not over the top & definitely not boomy or jarred. It definitely needs to go to 20 Hz or lower. I do not want to miss out on anything,
2. Looks: Want high quality piano black finish, a better design (rather than a dumb looking box) will be awesome
3. One or 2 Subs: I want to buy one high end sub rather buy 2 mid range subs (this is almost final unless someone can very very strongly convince me otherwise).
Contention, please clarify:I have 2 full range towers which go down to 33 Hz. I have been using them for almost 2 years now, no subwoofer needed. So, if I buy a hugely capable subwoofer like the Arendal, do I really need 2 subwoofers because I will have 2 small subwoofers (my L/R towers) & the full power sub...
4. Usage: 50/50 for music/ movies
5. Other Req: I dont even know what to look for, so please help me out here, what to check before buying

My Shortlist, in order of preference:

1. Arendal Sound Subwoofer 2 or subwoofer 3: Looks awesome & has enough power, more than I will ever need
have a look: https://arendalsound.eu/1723-thx-series/1723-subwoofer-3/

2. B&W PV1D: Looks awesome but will it have the oomph?

3. Some Rhythmik Subwoofer: IDK which one but heard a lot of praise for them

4. SVS SB/PB-2000 PRO: Very sceptical about this one. Everyone says that the Arendal sound beats the SB-4000 in performance. So, this should be a no-brainer actually

So, please suggest:
1. A place in Bangalore where I can audition these/other subwoofers
2. Which subwoofer do you advise, even if you have a suggestion outside of this list
3. Any other advice

I just love this forum. Thanks a lot for you much needed advice. I know a lot of it is coming :-D

Since you are looking for detailed, controlled, smooth bass and 20Hz or lower capability within 1.5L Budget; I think SVS SB3000 will be best fit.
SB3000 is available in Piano Gloss finish as well. You can add another SB3000 later.

I don't think Arendal is available in India, but similar config is available from XTZ (Model: SUB D12.17 - Dual Sub, 1000W Amp)

The Home Cinema (Electronic City, Bangalore) is dealing with both SVS and XTZ.

There are good reviews on Monoprice Monolith15 as well, but I think that is not available in India.

Import duties are 36%.
This will be applicable on the subwoofer price determined by customs officer minus 50k. You can show your bill for price reference, if their database show higher price.
They'll check prices (MRP in India) of the same product or a product in the same range (could be a different brand). Not to forget if you carry 50 kg box internationally, you'll definitely be paying excess baggage. Typically stuff sold in the US is 110v which will need a transformer here and there will be no service in India. Despite being offered svs pb2000 pro in Germany for 1000 euro I'm waiting for an official price on India.
For comparison Rythmik fv15hp is $1400 and taxes will get it to about 1520 usd. Dollar at 75 gets you to a total of 114k. Add customs /duty /overweight /chances of damage and loss of baggage, I wouldn't risk it. It's available with warranty /service etc for 150k in India.

@turntablist I'm not sure if you have already purchased the Sub, but if you're still in the hunt, I'd recommend having a look at rythmik.
Read my thread or final post. Hope it helps you make your final decision. Need bass

Dear all, thank you for your much needed recommendations. I have decided to put this search on hold, buy a villa and then buy 2*18 inch subs for it (probably the JTR RS2 or the Seaton sound F18) Need to save a lot more, build my house and then buy subs capable of demolishing the house :-D

Dear all, thank you for your much needed recommendations. I have decided to put this search on hold, buy a villa and then buy 2*18 inch subs for it (probably the JTR RS2 or the Seaton sound F18) Need to save a lot more, build my house and then buy subs capable of demolishing the house :-D
Good luck to you :) I was in the same boat, moved to a villa. Now no funds to buy the subs lol

Dear FMs,

Please see the current list of equipment I own. I love the sound I get from these but it's upgrade time.
I got this equipment after a lot of advice & help from FMs and it served me really really good. So I am back for more :*
Want to buy my dream subwoofer. Will spend atleast 1 Lakh, will prefer to spend 1.2L but will spend 1.5L if needed.

AVR: Marantz SR6012
Front L/R: Crystal Acoustics TX-T3SE-BL
Center channel: KEF Q600C
Front Heights: Polk Audio OWM5 pair
Rear Surrounds: KEF Q800DS pair

Please ignore the room measurements as I do not own an apartment and live in rented houses. Will buy a house after 2/3 years, so lets just focus on the sub for now :D

My requirements:

1. Sound quality: Want highly detailed, controlled & smooth bass. Not over the top & definitely not boomy or jarred. It definitely needs to go to 20 Hz or lower. I do not want to miss out on anything,
2. Looks: Want high quality piano black finish, a better design (rather than a dumb looking box) will be awesome
3. One or 2 Subs: I want to buy one high end sub rather buy 2 mid range subs (this is almost final unless someone can very very strongly convince me otherwise).
Contention, please clarify:I have 2 full range towers which go down to 33 Hz. I have been using them for almost 2 years now, no subwoofer needed. So, if I buy a hugely capable subwoofer like the Arendal, do I really need 2 subwoofers because I will have 2 small subwoofers (my L/R towers) & the full power sub...
4. Usage: 50/50 for music/ movies
5. Other Req: I dont even know what to look for, so please help me out here, what to check before buying

My Shortlist, in order of preference:

1. Arendal Sound Subwoofer 2 or subwoofer 3: Looks awesome & has enough power, more than I will ever need
have a look: https://arendalsound.eu/1723-thx-series/1723-subwoofer-3/

2. B&W PV1D: Looks awesome but will it have the oomph?

3. Some Rhythmik Subwoofer: IDK which one but heard a lot of praise for them

4. SVS SB/PB-2000 PRO: Very sceptical about this one. Everyone says that the Arendal sound beats the SB-4000 in performance. So, this should be a no-brainer actually

So, please suggest:
1. A place in Bangalore where I can audition these/other subwoofers
2. Which subwoofer do you advise, even if you have a suggestion outside of this list
3. Any other advice

I just love this forum. Thanks a lot for you much needed advice. I know a lot of it is coming :-D
Please consider velodyn spl -1000

Consider Rythmik FVX12 or FVX15 and if budget permits best one would be FV15HP. Rythmiks are equally good for Movies and Music with their patented Direct Servo Technology. Check with Prosonics 9900068654. Rythmik are well regarded as Audiophile sub across the world. If possible get audition, then decide. Attached the latest pricing received.

Attachments

• Rythmik Price List - ProSonics.pdf
    119.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Been seeing a lot of reviews for the Kef KC 62, for the size and seemingly large sound, this is def on the top of my list to try when I am upgrading my subwoofer on a good budget.

Been seeing a lot of reviews for the Kef KC 62, for the size and seemingly large sound, this is def on the top of my list to try when I am upgrading my subwoofer on a good budget.
Read more reviews. Please dont buy this, unless you have some serious space crunch. A proper sealed sub with a 12 inch driver will not take more than 2.5 cu.ft. IF you have read reviews of this sub, its SPL levels are really low so practically unusable at LFE for movies at least.

This is a life style product.. reviews for such products are mostly paid ones..
Bass means without high SPL its useless.
Thanks, got it. I wouldn't have bought it without trying out first. Liked the idea of it, i guess servo controlled seems to be the tech of the future. Rythmik above looks very promising.

This is a life style product.. reviews for such products are mostly paid ones..
Bass means without high SPL its useless.
Thats quite the assumption though i'm not ruling it out completely. I've seen reviews by some much smaller Yotubers (in the number of subscribers, not physical dimensions) who have had great things to say about it. And I don't think the KC62s were meant for HT, only small intimate sessions of music. Reportedly they dig to 14hz at around 80db and with the DSP rolling off the extension at higher decibels, around 20-25hz at 95db.

The KC62s came into stock across multiple sites out here and almost immediately vanished so they must have sold like hot cakes. Wondering if any of the FMs picked it up yet considering the dearth of user reviews on the forum.

Last edited:
Thats quite the assumption though i'm not ruling it out completely. I've seen reviews by some much smaller Yotubers (in the number of subscribers, not physical dimensions) who have had great things to say about it. And I don't think the KC62s were meant for HT, only small intimate sessions of music. Reportedly they dig to 14hz at around 80db and with the DSP rolling off the extension at higher decibels, around 20-25hz at 95db.

The KC62s came into stock across multiple sites out here and almost immediately vanished so they must have sold like hot cakes. Wondering if any of the FMs picked it up yet considering the dearth of user reviews on the forum.
Marketing makes things sell like "hot cakes " ;)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back