Buying my First Music System- It is not that simple!!!

madmax, as ruenigma and doors have pointed out, audition again and also allocate budget for an entry level dac. Just give it some time, you will get clarity on the issue :) If not we all are here to help!

If most of your Music is in the digital format then re-look at your setup and look for a Digital Amplifier which keep your files in digital domain and does the conversion at the output stage through the filters, now instead of spending money on a cd player look at a Digital Network Players which have the capability of playing your music either off your Network or the USB Hard Drives and since these are designed at the target audience which play mostly MP3s or lossy music so it does a much better job in playing the same content and gives a much better results.
Look at the Media playback solutions from the likes of NAD or Marantz and there you should be able to find the answers to your solution.

actually - there are integrated amps from NAD that have a built in DAC module. You can get that amp and then use an appletv to stream wirelessly.

If most of your Music is in the digital format then re-look at your setup and look for a Digital Amplifier which keep your files in digital domain and does the conversion at the output stage through the filters, now instead of spending money on a cd player look at a Digital Network Players which have the capability of playing your music either off your Network or the USB Hard Drives and since these are designed at the target audience which play mostly MP3s or lossy music so it does a much better job in playing the same content and gives a much better results.
Look at the Media playback solutions from the likes of NAD or Marantz and there you should be able to find the answers to your solution.

Hi Ashish,

Will get a network player eventually though. But I have a specific question:

Can you please guide me more about digital amplifiers?
Will they match well with the quad 11l2 or do I have to start from scratch for best pairing?

Thanks & Regards,

Thank You everybody!

Here is where I am at now:

Went in for a second audition. This time on an ipad/laptop and phone with and without a DAC (music fidelity M1) with a different set of MP3's.

The result:

ipad: sounded good. but could not hear good seperation, crisp instruments. The sound was percentage wise in comparision to the cd was at about 35 percent

phone: played my samsung galzaxy not via poweramp, The sound was percentage wise in comparision to the cd was at about 20 percent

laptop: played on a nomal laptop, courtesy the sales guy. This sounded the best
probably at about 35 -40 percent of the cd

All of the above was connected to the m1 dac.

Next I heard them all without the dac. It pretty much sounded like S#@t again!

So I am back to square 1 again:
This marantz 5004 and quad 11l2 will give me super output with wav/flac
but with MP3's (and with DAC) the sound is no where near in comparision.

As one of the posters pointed out good speakers bring out more flaws if the source is not great!

So here I am wondering what to do next. I had planned to spend all the incentives that I had earned this year on getting a music system. Buying a great music system means a lot to me .
But I dont think I am anywhere near buying a system right now. My research of 2 months has just gone down the drain.
Have to start from scratch now!

Ok looking at what you have finalized so far (PM5004 + 11L2) it seems like you have a budget of 50k. Or thereabouts.

So if we look at a slight twist in the tale, reconsider your options.
1. Marantz PM 5004 - 17500
2. Audinst HUD MX1 - 9000
3. CDs That you like from Flipkart/Rhythhouse/Saregama - avg 100 each total 35 discs- 3500
4. Just now just look for a different set of speakers in 20k.

You can look at
PSB Alpha B1/Image B4
Paradigm Atom Monitor
MS Aviano 1/2
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2
Tannoy Mercury etc
QA 2020
Dali Concept 1

All these are good speakers for the price. So all of this comes below 50 and leaves some room for buying some quality interconnects/cables as well.

So instead of fretting over MP3 performance issues and working towards addressing it with bad non-resolving system lets tackle the issue head on.

Hope this helps.

Like mp3 Will the SQ improve if Flac is the source to DAC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

madmax,

if this helps..

I have slowly built up a reasonably good ( am being modest here.. :- )) ) collection of CD's over the last 2 years. I belong to the school of thought that does not like hearing mp3 ( lossless or lossy or whatever ) at all. I also think its better to listen to the artist - album wise - so you get a very good flavor of the artist and not just the hit song.

This means CDP ( and a good CD collection ) is the way forward.

Go for good sound - quality over quantity.. and you will not be disappointed.

PS : am not too good with computers and stuff and maybe thats why the aversion to mp3's etc.. but CD's cound better to my ears anyday.

regards,
mpw

The result:

ipad: sounded good. but could not hear good seperation, crisp instruments. The sound was percentage wise in comparision to the cd was at about 35 percent

phone: played my samsung galzaxy not via poweramp, The sound was percentage wise in comparision to the cd was at about 20 percent

laptop: played on a nomal laptop, courtesy the sales guy. This sounded the best
probably at about 35 -40 percent of the cd

All of the above was connected to the m1 dac.

Just wondering how did you connect your iPad and Samsung phone to DAC! Do they have digital out. I am unaware of any phone having digital output! :rolleyes:

koushik, nowadays some phones have USB OTG function. So it can be done with phones like Nokia n8 and I guess Samsung Galaxy s2/note etc. Developers have come up with a custom kernel that gives the same functionality to my good ol' Galaxy S.
But I am not sure about how you do that with the iPad.

^^ Thanks iaudio. Yes I have read about N8 somewhere in HFV but that was not simple like "plug it and you get digi output". There was some work around, as far I remember.

This is great news if phone manufacturer are starting to give digital output as phone consume much less power than any media player/PC and convenient like anything. Nothing like having the whole music collection on your mobile. Listen to them on the go through headphone(analog o/p) and get real hi-fi at home thru digital o/p and DAC way :)

As far as I can say. Your issue is that you wish to stick to mp3. You have an old collection of mp3s. (Ol signifying 128kbps or 192 max) this is a problem because no matter where you play it, it won't be even close to cd. Mp3 is a lossy format where quality is compromised for file size. In order to enjoy great sound on your stereo setup,you will have to shift cds or some lossless audio format like flac.

I too am planning a nice hifi and I too have a gigantic mp3 collection. But iam still planning either for the 5004 or 6004.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Ok looking at what you have finalized so far (PM5004 + 11L2) it seems like you have a budget of 50k. Or thereabouts.

So if we look at a slight twist in the tale, reconsider your options.
1. Marantz PM 5004 - 17500
2. Audinst HUD MX1 - 9000
3. CDs That you like from Flipkart/Rhythhouse/Saregama - avg 100 each total 35 discs- 3500
4. Just now just look for a different set of speakers in 20k.

You can look at
PSB Alpha B1/Image B4
Paradigm Atom Monitor
MS Aviano 1/2
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2
Tannoy Mercury etc
QA 2020
Dali Concept 1

All these are good speakers for the price. So all of this comes below 50 and leaves some room for buying some quality interconnects/cables as well.

So instead of fretting over MP3 performance issues and working towards addressing it with bad non-resolving system lets tackle the issue head on.

Hope this helps.

This is really helpful!

Have only auditioned the Wharfdale Diamond 10.2 from the above mentioned list. Did not quite compare to the quad 11l2.
Will audition the above list for sure. Any idea where can I audition most of these in NCR?
Bass and Treble Gurgaon surely does not deal in the above mentioned list except wharfdale 10.2

Wanted to ask you I were to change the game a little bit here buy doing the reverse i.e going for a cheaper but good amp like the Topping TP20 coupled with a quality pair of speakers will that be advisable?

I am starting again in my quest for a good music system and I really thank all the posters who have guided me up till this point. I hope I get my match very soon :)

wait for sometimes, give up beer for 6 months and your budget will increase :)
Jokes apart, you may also try interest free emi on your card - if some dealer is giving that option

Nothing like having the whole music collection on your mobile. Listen to them on the go through headphone(analog o/p) and get real hi-fi at home thru digital o/p and DAC way :)

I'm using HTC Sensation 32GB and connect it to AVR using Video & Audio Cable 1080P Micro USB To HDMI MHL Adapter Converter. It's very convenient.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi madmax
M on similar journey to build my first hifi. My experience with 320 Kbps mp3 during auditions have been good. There possibly is a difference vis a vis cd, but it's subtle and I couldnt make out much. During my reauditions I would checking out same tracks on mp3 and cd and would share my views. To my understanding a very neutral kinda setup like b&w are likely to reveal the difference all the more. I heard def leopard mp3 on quad and found it to be good enough and pleasant sounding. Check my thread http://www.hifivision.com/what-shou...-first-hifi-started-floorstanders-2012-a.html

Last edited:
entry level system:

1. Silent pc>S.card>to whatever is best
Building silent pc is a big initiative, solid PSU etc etc

cheap PC , annoying fan noise!
2. laptop >entry dac : excellent solution but good USB dacs cost more.

This is suitable if you are planning for a laptop for all various uses .

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back