C9 flashing effect on near black content

When I got the C9, I had raised brightness to 54, as I set the black levels using the avsforum slides and it wasn't that easy to calibrate black most accurately, and I was getting flashing with brightness at 54. That's when I used the black slide hack with OLED light at 100 that I have told you to do, as it allows for the most accurate tuning of the black level. Once I did that, I found that brightness at 52 is the level where black remains black; 53 and it lights up very faintly, which can be easy to miss with lower OLED light and lit up content on the screen, and that lighting up can cause flashing in content.
Ok

I never faced this kind of issue in my C9 55". My settings OLED lights- 30, Contrast - 80 & Brightness - 50.

I have similar settings except for oled light which is at 70. Brightness is at 50 and contrast is 85
Have you ever played the pre loaded demo HDR video? There are some pinch black scenes. Do you notice this issue there too?

I think it will be helpful somewhat to troubleshoot the issue.

Have you ever played the pre loaded demo HDR video? There are some pinch black scenes. Do you notice this issue there too?

I think it will be helpful somewhat to troubleshoot the issue.

In these scenes i do not get any flashing. It is noticed only on near black scenes and especially during scenes that fades to black. Also in the mindhunter scene that was shared to check vertical banding the top and bottom black bars where flashing in the near dark scene.

In these scenes i do not get any flashing. It is noticed only on near black scenes and especially during scenes that fades to black. Also in the mindhunter scene that was shared to check vertical banding the top and bottom black bars where flashing in the near dark scene.
You mean during bright to black scenes? Then I think it may be due to ABL enabled, but I am not sure.

Edited: It is ALS (Ambient Light Sensor) not ABL.

Last edited:
Did some googling and seems like random issues with oled tv’s

Just watch Vincent's video on Chrominance Overshoot. This is a well documented issue in 2018 sets. John Archer from Forbes also highlighted it. I have told you what you need to do to solve it.

Just watch Vincent's video on Chrominance Overshoot. This is a well documented issue in 2018 sets. John Archer from Forbes also highlighted it. I have told you what you need to do to solve it.

Yes I too just watched.

Is this the video you are referring to? Yes watched it and seems like Panasonic didn't suffer from this. Yeah i will try the settings later tonight

Is this the video you are referring to? Yes watched it and seems like Panasonic didn't suffer from this. Yeah i will try the settings later tonight

Apparently, some users have recently reported seeing thing in the past couple of months in the owner threads.

Was watching Shakthimaan. I think here the issue is the content. But to explain how my issue at dark scenes is like this. Apart from the dots in the background and name in centre I think it should be black. For example gravity. Except for Sandra bullock and the stars it should be pitch black. I didn’t see the movie but in the trailer some scenes looked like this

Attachments

• EAEEB9E2-5985-42FF-82CB-9A1A74001AC6.jpeg
    EAEEB9E2-5985-42FF-82CB-9A1A74001AC6.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
Ive been having issues too with my C9 since last couple of days. Yesterday I noticed a pinhole lighting up and I did the pixel refresh in the morning and thankfully it went away. But Ive been having a lot of problems with blacks my self I keep getting grey blocks while watching Space scifi movies or the new Teen titans season 2! There seems to be a lot of grey blocks in dark scenes in the last few days I dont know what the terminology for that is... Shoud I be worried?

P:S- Im using Netflix Ultra HD

Was watching Shakthimaan. I think here the issue is the content. But to explain how my issue at dark scenes is like this. Apart from the dots in the background and name in centre I think it should be black. For example gravity. Except for Sandra bullock and the stars it should be pitch black. I didn’t see the movie but in the trailer some scenes looked like this
I am facing this issue too. Is there anyone I can consult to get my screen calibrated completely?

Ive been having issues too with my C9 since last couple of days. Yesterday I noticed a pinhole lighting up and I did the pixel refresh in the morning and thankfully it went away. But Ive been having a lot of problems with blacks my self I keep getting grey blocks while watching Space scifi movies or the new Teen titans season 2! There seems to be a lot of grey blocks in dark scenes in the last few days I dont know what the terminology for that is... Shoud I be worried?

P:S- Im using Netflix Ultra HD
Dam having issues with black beats the purpose of getting an oled isn't it?

Not all content is mastered to have sky as perfect black. Calibrate your blacks levels with the method I have told you. It's as simple as it can get. After, if you see grey in titles, it's the content; you can rest assured. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel doesn't have have perfect black for its titles. Article 15 has fluctuations in the black level. I saw it on Onyx screen, which has incredible contrast ratio. One close up in the car would have black background, but cut back, and now it's grey. It's because the colorists aren't keeping perfect blacks and that consistency in mind. DV content on Netflix is better.

As for the flashing, correct black level first and then see if it still exists. It doesn't for me.

As for compression artifacts and posterization, there's nothing you can do about that except increasing processing, which comes with its own drawbacks. Don't roll all issues into one. Each will have its own solution/shortcoming.

Not all content is mastered to have sky as perfect black. Calibrate your blacks levels with the method I have told you. It's as simple as it can get. After, if you see grey in titles, it's the content; you can rest assured. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel doesn't have have perfect black for its titles. Article 15 has fluctuations in the black level. I saw it on Onyx screen, which has incredible contrast ratio. One close up in the car would have black background, but cut back, and now it's grey. It's because the colorists aren't keeping perfect blacks and that consistency in mind. DV content on Netflix is better.

As for the flashing, correct black level first and then see if it still exists. It doesn't for me.

As for compression artifacts and posterization, there's nothing you can do about that except increasing processing, which comes with its own drawbacks. Don't roll all issues into one. Each will have its own solution/shortcoming.

So this image is fine? And yes later tonight i will try try the setting you have suggested.

What did you use to calibrate? I still feel it's a wrong back lighting, oled lighting, brightness, whatever you call it. Try using a proven image used to set brightness, contrast, etc.

MaSh

What did you use to calibrate? I still feel it's a wrong back lighting, oled lighting, brightness, whatever you call it. Try using a proven image used to set brightness, contrast, etc.

MaSh
I did not use any proven image to calibrate. Just played some good HDR and SDR contents. First ill try the settings suggested later tonight and later will check if any calibration image or video is available

Ok so I tried reducing the brightness and kept oled light at max at the time nd credits of maleficient 2. So when I got the brightness to 49 the grayish went away and it was black. But there was flashing. I also tried the below link where it is mentioned that tv’s having this fault will show flashing when colours are changing. I also wanted to make sure it was not the shield so connected the HD directly in the tv and it was the same

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back